Author Topic: Bikely has gone off the radar  (Read 4457 times)

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
Bikely has gone off the radar
« on: 02 June, 2011, 07:40:16 pm »
Does anyone know what has happened to Bikely? It has several of my routes on it and I don`t want to lose it. Anybody else feel the same ?

Re: Bikely has gone off the radar
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »
It's there now but has been flaky ever since Future Publishing took it over so they could rake in ad revenue.  They don't give a flying heck about the site, just pulling in the gullible to the Bike Radar ad monster.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2011, 07:45:38 pm »
It's working at the moment, so grab your routes while you can.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2011, 10:42:19 pm »
It's certainly done that before.  Sometimes for quite long periods (at least it was like that each time I'd checked over longish periods before, can't vouch for what it did in the times I wasn't checking).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Euan Uzami

« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2011, 11:12:37 pm »

it's a shame, 'cos no other website I've found seems to be able to name points on the map, and then that name gets downloaded in the gpx.
I don't care whether they get downloaded as coursepoints, trackpoints, or routepoints, I can post-process.

Bikeroutetoaster seems to let you name coursepoints, but those coursepoints don't get downloaded into the gpx. Unless i'm doing it wrong.

anyone know an alternative that's more reliable than bikely that enables you to do this?

edit: it seems brt does download coursepoints with names if you do tcx or mbcrs. However, crucially, it doesn't download a trackpoint with the same lat long, and since the coursepoints are in a separate section at the end, you don't know which order they go in amongst the trackpoints.
What I eventually want to do, is end up with a <rte> of <rtept>'s, which are in the order I drew them on the map, some of which may have names, which I give them in knowledge of their position on the map. i.e. look at the map and give the point at a certain junction the name "L@T".
Without bikely it seems you're spannered if you want to do that.

ignore. found a way to make bikehike do it.  ::-)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2011, 11:17:04 pm »
It works here but it is very slow!
Chief cat entertainer.

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2011, 12:44:06 pm »
THANKS, EVERYBODY,
I,too have gone to Bikehike and  solved my problem.

Donkey

• "Are we there yet?"
« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2011, 05:49:27 pm »
Try bikehike.co.uk - Home  :thumbsup:
I use it with Andy Gates maps on my Etrex Vista HCx

Marven_mt_73

« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2011, 08:39:00 am »
I've been using My Trails: http://www.mytrails.com.au
Simple and easy to use.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2011, 09:15:10 am »
I moved my GPS tracks to bikeroutetoaster

« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2011, 01:11:38 pm »
I've gone over to RideWithGPS     http://ridewithgps.com/     simple, good eye candy, does it for me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #11 on: 15 March, 2012, 05:47:38 pm »
Does anyone know what has happened to Bikely?

Completely lost the plot? Today's banner ad...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #12 on: 15 March, 2012, 06:15:21 pm »
They are using Google ads, so any banner ads are provided automatically. I don't think Bikely actually have any control over what adverts are shown. Adverts are probably based on the site content, ie maybe that advert is shown on any websites that mention 'miles' or 'speed'.

The adverts are also based on what websites you have been searching for and visiting. See the preferences for what categories Google associates you with, or you can opt out of personalised adverts: http://www.google.com/ads/preferences

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 15 March, 2012, 06:30:36 pm »
That is funny though.  Nice one!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #14 on: 16 March, 2012, 12:07:03 am »
The adverts are also based on what websites you have been searching for and visiting.

I can honestly say I've never searched for anything related to speeding fines or solicitors and my preferences as it turns out are Hobbies & Leisure - Water Activities - Surf & Swim; News - Weather; Science - Astronomy; World Localities - Europe - Western Europe - United Kingdom - England - West Midlands - Birmingham (UK). So while it's been fairly successful in figuring out my interests, whatever algorithm generated that particular advert failed on all fronts. Maybe it knows I read YACF where there is occasionally talk of speeding motorists.