Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 421005 times)

rob

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1700 on: 24 June, 2016, 09:39:03 am »
I'm off on a 10 spot!

Admittedly, given my PB (1:58), the organiser has probably split the field, which makes me one of the fastest riders in the bottom half.  Oh well.

I enjoyed having a 0 on my back last week.   I expect this is the first and last time.

Have you changed clubs or are you still 2nd claim @ Clifton ?

Have a good ride.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1701 on: 24 June, 2016, 10:00:05 am »
I moved jobs last year and am back in York now, so I've rejoined Clifton 1st claim.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1702 on: 27 June, 2016, 01:50:52 pm »
Provisional Nat 12 results

Congratulations Teethgrinder on 22nd place with 241.2 miles!

rob

« Reply #1703 on: 27 June, 2016, 02:37:50 pm »

Looked like a tough day so over evens is a good day out.   Saw Jonah on the start list but can't see him on there - DNS/DNF ?

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #1704 on: 27 June, 2016, 03:52:12 pm »
Jonah is DNS

« Reply #1705 on: 28 June, 2016, 08:21:23 pm »

Looked like a tough day so over evens is a good day out.   Saw Jonah on the start list but can't see him on there - DNS/DNF ?

Cheers :thumbsup:
(I actually came 23rd, provisionally ;))

I was hoping to just beat my PB of 244, which I did in 1995, before I started using tri bars, but that'll do. It's a 7 mile improvement on what I think I did on the Newbury 12 hour 2 weeks ago. Which event was slowest is debatable. Newbury was pretty windy and the road surface was grim and it rained a bit. I thought the National was better but my head was never really in it. I think that was more down to the stress of just getting to the start with replacement bus services, race HQ being 9 miles from the start and having to plan everything around that. I reckon with better planning I'd have just about got my PB by a tiny bit. But my purpose for riding is for training and I think that I've improved since the Newbury 12. Hoppo and his fiance were about 9 miles down, where I was 7 miles up. I felt a great deal less knackered at the finish too, which is just as well because I had another 20 miles to do to get back to the hotel. I didn't find the weather especially bad on either event, but I guess that last year probably has had an effect on me. It has lowered my MHR by about 10BPM, possibly a bit more. According to Hoppo, temperature on the Newbury got down to 15C and it got down to 11C on the National.
I also won the drug test lottery and was tested for doping. I told them there's no need to test me, I'm definitely a dope. ;D
Hoppo and his fiance both reckon that this was tougher and they were both down on their Newbury 12hr distances. I think he could be right, but bear in mind that Hoppo has ridden a 24 hour in between. I rode my first (hardriders) 100 in between. I blew up in the last 20 miles and got very light headed at the end, which I actually quite enjoyed, so I finished at the back of the field. But, I learned a bit from that and I think it helped me on the National 12 hour.
Reassuring to be not far behind Lynn Biddulph. We're usually more or less similar on the Mersey 24. Lynn is usually faster than me for the first 12 hours and then it's a matter of how well our nights go as to which one of us does the most miles. I think it's very reassuring that I'm very close to her after only about 6-7 weeks of training. I'm not sure I'll be at my best for the 24 hour, but it's a good sign that I won't do a terrible ride and it's all part of training for another go at the Year Record. What I'm doing now is the base training, which is to be finished off with a Month Record attempt. Then if all goes well, the high intensity training to get ready for another go at The Year.
Lactate threshold test tomorrow to see how much (or if) I have improved since I started training with Emily Cox.

« Reply #1706 on: 29 June, 2016, 08:52:32 am »
Not being funny, but what's the point of drug testing someone in 20th place?!
If they can't test everyone, it should be the top 10 in a hat and test from that pot.

You gonna ride the Breckland Steve, meant to be fast (and now you can take loads of drugs because they probably won't test you again) ;-)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1707 on: 29 June, 2016, 10:01:41 am »
If they can't test everyone, it should be the top 10 in a hat and test from that pot.

Because it's still cheating if you're only 20th, and the guy/gal in 21st would be unhappy to lose to a cheat.

[I am no expert, that's just one aspect.]

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1708 on: 29 June, 2016, 10:17:54 am »
Because it's still cheating if you're only 20th, and the guy/gal in 21st would be unhappy to lose to a cheat.
[I am no expert, that's just one aspect.]

Yes, but guys coming in 20th are less likely to be cheating, or at least cheating effectively, given the fact they're finishing 20th.
Also a cheating 20th only cheats those below them out of a place whereas someone who cheats and wins, cheats everyone out of a place.
Basically, I'm paying for tests to be done, so I want the guys who are more likely to be cheating to be tested first.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1709 on: 29 June, 2016, 10:31:46 am »
As I understand it, CTT testing is weighted towards the sharp end of the field, with some tests done on random riders from the whole field.  This seems to be about right: while winning riders should be tested more, there has to be a possibility, however slight, that you could be tested whatever your position, otherwise slower riders could dope without any risk. 

« Reply #1710 on: 29 June, 2016, 01:03:43 pm »

Yes, but guys coming in 20th are less likely to be cheating, or at least cheating effectively, given the fact they're finishing 20th.
Also a cheating 20th only cheats those below them out of a place whereas someone who cheats and wins, cheats everyone out of a place.
Basically, I'm paying for tests to be done, so I want the guys who are more likely to be cheating to be tested first.

People cheat at all levels and the rules are the same for everyone. The winner rode just over 50 miles more than I did. I doubt I'd have done another 50 miles if I used drugs in the most effective way. Maybe another 25? I did joke with the testers that I didn't think I'd done suspiciously well and if they find anything, it didn't work.

I'm not planning on riding the Breckland but you never know.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #1711 on: 29 June, 2016, 01:27:49 pm »
Looking at the Breckland if it fits in as a way of using up the residue of this years fitness.
Supposed to have more trike friendly surfaces and a bit more variety than the Newbury 12.
We found our speed varied between 8 - 30 mph depending upon which part of the course we were on.

Something a bit more even would be better.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1712 on: 29 June, 2016, 01:44:59 pm »
The A11 has a lot of variety:
- pan-flat noisy concrete &
- pan-flat very noisy concrete.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1713 on: 29 June, 2016, 02:33:34 pm »

You had me at "pan-flat".

rob

« Reply #1714 on: 29 June, 2016, 03:10:33 pm »

You had me at "pan-flat".

Did my old 100 PB on that bit of road last year.   Rutted in a not like Bentley way but still annoying.

Apparently there's a new finishing circuit this year but there's no detail yet.   I should be in as I have 6 weeks to recover after the 24hr.

« Reply #1715 on: 29 June, 2016, 05:06:43 pm »
Jonah is DNS

So Jonah was never inside Wales?

« Reply #1716 on: 29 June, 2016, 05:30:48 pm »
> So Jonah was never inside Wales?

Did Not Submerge

« Reply #1717 on: 29 June, 2016, 07:51:45 pm »
Assuming I make it to and through the TCR I'm not sure I will want to look at my TT bike afterwards but it's in the back of my mind to try it out one day.

I'm done with the A31. It can >>>

rob

« Reply #1718 on: 30 June, 2016, 10:19:03 am »
I should add that the A11 climbs mostly very gradually (unlike the A31) so you can sit there at a steady pace slowly reeling in the view to the next roundabout....

Although I was slightly sworn off long distance TTs I am very tempted to give it a go, maybe I'll ride the EDCA 100 as a trial.

I like the A11 (for TTs anyway).   I studied in Norwich and the in-laws are just up the road.

I'll miss the 100 this year but, unless the 24 writes me off, I'll do the 12hr and the Breckland 50 at the end of Sep.   My 2:00:51 PB is annoying me so I need another go at a 50 this year.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1719 on: 30 June, 2016, 10:46:27 am »
My 2:00:51 PB is annoying me so I need another go at a 50 this year.

At one point my PB was 2:00:14 inc. 50 secs late start penalty.  Now that was annoying!

« Reply #1720 on: 30 June, 2016, 04:04:47 pm »
My 10m PB (dating back to 2002) is 21:01, and my best on a tandem was 20:02.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1721 on: 07 July, 2016, 04:28:32 pm »
New course records at the TT on Tuesday night. First time with a wind at less than 8mph!
Senior record is now 20:11 - a helpful truck and it could well be below 20.
Youth B record is now 25:30 taking 29 secs off the previous time. I'll have to check - it might even be quicker than the youth A.
Junior is 22: something. Not had any juniors ride on a good night.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1722 on: 10 July, 2016, 09:04:11 pm »
My TT season so far:

Opens
10: Haven't done one yet.  I'm riding the V next week, let's hope it goes well.
25: 56:59 (somewhere in the upper end of the bottom half of the field)
50: 2:03:54 (24/54 with another 51 DNS/DNF!  As you might guess, the weather wasn't great.)
100: 4:14:33 (70th in the national champs field)

Club events: 3rd, 4th and 9th.  The 4th was this Thursday, I dropped my chain on the steepest hill and was then 20 seconds behind 3rd.  Doh!

Oh dear, I'm so much less fit this year than last year.  I'm basically just doing an event at each distance to keep my qualifying times up to date.  I've now got to decide what to do at the end of the season: do I do the BDCA 100 or the Breckland 12?

rob

« Reply #1723 on: 12 July, 2016, 12:44:37 pm »
My TT season so far:

Opens
10: Haven't done one yet.  I'm riding the V next week, let's hope it goes well.
25: 56:59 (somewhere in the upper end of the bottom half of the field)
50: 2:03:54 (24/54 with another 51 DNS/DNF!  As you might guess, the weather wasn't great.)
100: 4:14:33 (70th in the national champs field)

Club events: 3rd, 4th and 9th.  The 4th was this Thursday, I dropped my chain on the steepest hill and was then 20 seconds behind 3rd.  Doh!

Oh dear, I'm so much less fit this year than last year.  I'm basically just doing an event at each distance to keep my qualifying times up to date.  I've now got to decide what to do at the end of the season: do I do the BDCA 100 or the Breckland 12?

I started to feel a bit disappointed with my results this year even though I have been faster than last year.   I had developed some misguided expectations that weren't, in the end, realistic.

It looks like you've had some real life to deal with and your times are still way above the average clubman so I wouldn't be too upset.   If I were you I'd do the 12hr to get a BBAR ranking for the year.

I plan to be at the Breckland, but it depends how the 24hr goes.   There's 6 weeks to recover, but I'm not sure it will be enough.

Rob

« Reply #1724 on: 12 July, 2016, 12:49:26 pm »
I came 7th in the National 12hr on the E course with 270-odd, 3 weeks after doing a fair bit of damage to myself in the 24hr.

I've since done a 293mi 12hr 'before' the 24hr at Newbury, with less windy conditions. Depending on how much you tear yourself apart during the 24hr, 6 weeks is probably quite a good gap to have.

Start back on the bike doing VERY VERY easy stuff the day after and after a week or two try a longer ride. Maybe hit the turbo at week three for some sharpening.