Author Topic: Loading eTrex route segments onto Edge 800  (Read 1809 times)

Loading eTrex route segments onto Edge 800
« on: 25 October, 2012, 10:19:13 pm »

I have recently been encountering problems loading routes generated on eTrex to my Edge 800.  It would appear that only the first segment loads eg 25k of a 200km Audax route.  I have tried editing the eTrex file using Editpad lite but then couldn't save the file in a format my Garmin would recognise.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: Loading eTrex route segments onto Edge 800
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2012, 06:52:21 am »
I hope the OP will forgive me for clarifying his post - he has gpx files created for an eTrex (so split into sub-500 point tracks).  I am also interested in this problem as it is my file he is trying to convert to use on his Edge, and I think there are others who wish to use this file.

There is also available a tracklog created by the eTrex.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2012, 09:45:12 am »
Yes - I'm interested in the answer too!  I often distribute multi-track GPX files to people, it was all good until about a year ago, now there are problems because Edge-users only see the first Track - and the Edge 800 has become a very popular device. 
I can distribute eg 20x 1-track files instead of 1x 20-track file, but that seems a very clumsy way of doing it, and doen't really suit the Etrex users.

[edit - I think the Edge can handle a single very long Track (no 500-point limit), so just don't split it up??
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2012, 09:55:27 am »
I have recently been encountering problems loading routes generated on eTrex to my Edge 800.  It would appear that only the first segment loads eg 25k of a 200km Audax route.  I have tried editing the eTrex file using Editpad lite but then couldn't save the file in a format my Garmin would recognise.
I'm not sure I'm competent to answer this but I suspect it's necessary first to establish the exact process you have used to:
(a)  "generate" the "route" on your Etrex (i.e. are we talking about about a ride recorded by means of a Track, not a "Route"?)
(b)  transfer the data from Etrex to Edge (i.e. using Basecamp, Mapsource or cut'n'paste, or what?)

Or, in relation to (a) above, are you talking about loading .gpx files received from Phil re. his Audax, in which case perhaps Phil has to reply to point (a) !

Sorry in advance if I've got completely the wrong idea here!

Further point having seen FF's post while drafting this - if you fancy converting the basic .gpx data into the .tcx format the Edge likes best, you could try using "TCX Converter" available free here

I've used this for some time without problems, mainly to convert .tcx data into .gpx format for the purpose of getting DIY rides validated.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2012, 10:11:50 am »
FWIW, uploading a multi-track GPX file into BikeRouteToaster, will simply join all the Tracks into one ('cos BRT can only handle 1 track at a time) - the result can then be downloaded as GPX or TCX, or transferred direct to the Edge I guess.  Assuming the multiple tracks were created by splitting up a longer track in the first place, this would be one easy way to reconstitute it.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 26 October, 2012, 10:40:16 am »
There is a bug in the edge 800 firmware.

If you attempt to load a simgle GPX file which contains multiple routes, only a random subset of the routes will actually load.  One or perhaps 2 if you are lucky.

You can repro this using mapsource:
For example, set a waypoint at each of say 6 controls, and then create 6 seperate routes ( one per stage ).
Send to Device -> ensure Waypoints and Routes are selected.
What happens is a temporary GPX file is created on the Garmin, in the NewData folder.
Inspection of this GPX shows it to be all present and correct.
Un-mount the Garmin from the PC, and boot it up.
It finds the temp GPX, and imports the contents, and then deletes the GPX.
But it's only imported 1 or 2 of the routes.

You need to go back to mapsource, and re-send the missing routes, 1 or 2 at a time, and re-booting the Garmin device each time to allow the import to occour, then rinse and repeat.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October, 2012, 10:48:41 am »
In other words, start out with several single-track (or single-route) files - that way you don't have to worry about which 'random' track has imported each time.

« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2012, 10:56:56 am »
OK, let me be more specific about what I have done.

I created a series of traces using Google Maps, which I converted to gpx files.  Each file represents a section of an audax between controls in order that the number of trackpoints remained within the eTrex limit.  I then used Memory Map to save these (plus a route using straight lines between routesheet instructions and marks for the control points) as a single gpx file.

I can download this file to my eTrex, and it then shows me the tracks (as seven separate tracks), the route if I set it to "navigate" and the control points.  Perfect.  For me, anyway.

The original poster has tried to upload the file, and his device only shows the track from the start to the first info control.  Which is in accordance with what is posted above.  I rode the route yesterday, and saved a tracklog.  This was thus a single gpx track of the entire route.  Unfortunately the OP could not get this to load into his 800.  As I have no knowledge of the Edge series I have nothing more to try.

But obviously there are lots of Edge users riding audax (probably rather more than eTrex users), and I am anxious that I provide something that is useful for everyone.  I placed the gpx files (that is one file with just the seven tracks, one file with the route and one with both) on my Thames Valley Audax site (www.tinyurl.com/UpperThames12).  The tracklog is not there yet - I'll upload it when I get home this evening.  I'm hoping there is something simple that we can do via BaseCamp, Mapsource or something else to produce something that Edge users can use.

« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2012, 10:58:31 am »
OK. My limited experience here is actually with only the Edge 705, which seems not to have this issue, so my contribution is predictably useless!! No change there!

But out of interest, do we know if the same result is found if using Basecamp instead of Mapsource?

« Reply #9 on: 26 October, 2012, 11:11:13 am »
Not much experience (ok -none) with the Edge series but what I'd try first if is to load up the single tracklog into bikehike, downsample it a bit (might not be necessary) , and then dowmload the result as a .tcx ?

FF's idea of using BRT to join up the tracks is a good 'un too.   I spotted this behaviour when I was playing about with Ben T's new GPXEditor which will crreate multiple tracks in the one file.   I created two alternate tracks in a single file and loaded them to BRT so as to share them with someone on CC.  Result: single track, with a "crow flies" join between end of first track drawn and start of second one.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 26 October, 2012, 02:02:23 pm »
There is a bug in the edge 800 firmware.

Hmm - a bug you say?  I can't help thinking it's more of a 'feature'.  :-\

I rode the route yesterday, and saved a tracklog.  This was thus a single gpx track of the entire route.  Unfortunately the OP could not get this to load into his 800.  As I have no knowledge of the Edge series I have nothing more to try.

Of course we have to bear in mind the Edge800 doesn't really 'do' Tracks. (There is no Track management menu, AFAIK)  But as feanor said, a track loaded as a GPX file gets imported into memory and can then be found under the 'Courses' menu.  (Courses are a non-standard Garmin invention.) Now, Courses require timestamp info (at least) and possibly elevation as well (not sure about that) - so it's possible that the import behavior varies depending on whether or not the Track is timestamped.  (A Track generated in Mapsource isn't, for example - a Track generated in BRT - or just run through BRT - is, and obviously a recorded track is.)

But obviously there are lots of Edge users riding audax (probably rather more than eTrex users), and I am anxious that I provide something that is useful for everyone.

I'm in exactly the same boat.  My observation (at event starts etc) is there are far more Edge users than Etrex users now.
It would be really useful if a knowledgable Edge 800 owner could describe in words of 1 syllable their best workflow for importing multiple tracks/routes into their GPS.  Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Euan Uzami

« Reply #11 on: 26 October, 2012, 11:39:33 pm »
Does it not work to copy and paste (in notepad or similar) all the <trkpt> elements from the various <trk> elements (or <trkseg> elements) into one?

« Reply #12 on: 05 November, 2012, 10:15:58 am »
Well, having provided one file that was a series of track segments and a second file that was the same thing, but overlayed with a route and marks for the checkpoints, it seems that everyone was able to get something that worked (including, I believe, the OP  :))

My experimentation indicates that loading my basic tracks-only file into Basecamp and then saving it as a tcx file provides a useable file for Edge 800 users.  This is sufficiently easy for me to be happy to do.  Certainly easier and more reliable than editing the file in a text editor to take out the trackseg headers and footers.  But I will do some experimentation with a friend who uses an Edge device before declaring "problem solved".