Author Topic: Velo South  (Read 11783 times)

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
Velo South
« on: 04 March, 2018, 11:50:25 am »
Velo South

Expensive but the closed roads element appeals. I've booked a place.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Velo South
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2018, 04:07:50 pm »
Seems to be what they're doing instead of VeloBirmingham, because the closed road element doesn't appeal to the residents.

Silly rules about bikes and headwear put me off that one, not to mention the cost.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2018, 03:35:31 pm »
Seems to be what they're doing instead of VeloBirmingham, because the closed road element doesn't appeal to the residents.

Residents in the south aren't any different. I saw a poster protesting about road closures outside a village shop on my way home last week, which suggests they are getting organised.

https://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/residents-fear-road-closures-will-leave-them-trapped-in-their-homes-1-8540673

https://www.stopvelo.com/
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2018, 10:53:36 pm »
Seeing as I'm now a local, I'm doing it!  Although I can't see it being allowed a second time.  To be honest, I can't see how West Sussex County Council agreed to it.

The papers around here are regularly full of people complaining about the closed roads - some of which would be for 6+ hours. A recent correspondent pointed out he objected to public roads effectively being privatised for a day by a commercial organisation.  And in the same edition was a 2 page advert from the organisers trying to explain the event was a good thing.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2018, 07:51:26 pm »
Looks like I'm going to be out on this one too. First sportive ever for me, but I'll be cheating and riding a motorbike.

Should be an interesting day out, one way or another.

« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:40:59 pm »
Cancelled with full refunds promised!

(because of the weather, not the angry villagers)

« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:02:50 pm »
Bunch of wussies. 38mph winds with 53mph gusts and heavy rain sounds like Audax weather to me.

« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:05:43 pm »

Residents in the south aren't any different. I saw a poster protesting about road closures outside a village shop on my way home last week, which suggests they are getting organised.

https://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/residents-fear-road-closures-will-leave-them-trapped-in-their-homes-1-8540673

Even as a cyclist, I can see that there has been little thought of how 10 hours or so closures can affect people. We have an Ironman closure locally, which effectively maroons all those within the circle ( although this year a get out was possible, with 25 miles diversion. Like many rural villages, there are disproportionate numbers of aged and infirm needing several carer  visits per day, from family or professionals. In theory, I can’t go out on my bike except in a small loop. If I’m racing that day it means a hotel outside the sterile zone. Two pub/ restaurants and several visitor attractions have to close, and staff ( typically casual) lose money.
I’m sure it can be done better, by choosing routes that have overpasses etc. Abroad, only the fastest riders get a full closure, later on traffic just has to follow the direction of the riders. In the past, events have worked with communities to bring benefits locally. 
I do also get very annoyed when the media talk about them being “ charity” events. Whilst some riders do individually raise money for charity, the organising company ( Mr Coe and co etc) don’t donate anything.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2018, 06:07:29 pm »
Bunch of wussies. 38mph winds with 53mph gusts and heavy rain sounds like Audax weather to me.

It was certainly a bit wild when I was out in Herts last night ...... but the thought of riding in such conditions with 1000s of others of varying ability and sense, with the locals throwing tacks, oil and who knows what else while they 'walking protest' on the route, means I'm not sorry I'll be tootling around home instead.

Shame though - the 'Stop Velo' campaign, whilst it had some reasonable voices with valid concerns - just flagged up the anti-cycling sentiment that is prevalent in the UK. I notice a distinct shift in the tone - it's now 'we love cycling but not VS' as opposed to the earlier derogratory lanuguage. Even so, I don't think I'll be signing up for any closed road events next year, or events in Sussex, if this is the reaction. Sometimes I think the sooner I get out of this increasing hostile country the better - though that would be abandoning the cause .....
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #9 on: 21 September, 2018, 07:06:41 pm »
The Tour of Cambridgeshire has run for several years now without causing any noticeable upset. It's a mostly flat course but it's fun to do once.

« Reply #10 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:57:07 pm »

It was certainly a bit wild when I was out in Herts last night ...... but the thought of riding in such conditions with 1000s of others of varying ability and sense, with the locals throwing tacks, oil and who knows what else while they 'walking protest' on the route, means I'm not sorry I'll be tootling around home instead.

It was a bit tongue in cheek. Riding in Hampshire on Thursday was rough. There's also the elf'n'safety aspects with potential hazards like trees coming down, and keeping static marshals safe and warm. I think it was the right call - and I'd have been nicely wrapped up and warm on my p2w that has the mass of a small planet so fairly immune to gusts.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 22 September, 2018, 03:55:08 pm »
I do also get very annoyed when the media talk about them being “ charity” events. Whilst some riders do individually raise money for charity, the organising company ( Mr Coe and co etc) don’t donate anything.

Hear hear. A common problem with this type of sportive.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 22 September, 2018, 03:57:56 pm »
Shame though - the 'Stop Velo' campaign, whilst it had some reasonable voices with valid concerns - just flagged up the anti-cycling sentiment that is prevalent in the UK. I notice a distinct shift in the tone - it's now 'we love cycling but not VS' as opposed to the earlier derogratory lanuguage. Even so, I don't think I'll be signing up for any closed road events next year, or events in Sussex, if this is the reaction. Sometimes I think the sooner I get out of this increasing hostile country the better - though that would be abandoning the cause .....

IFF we take them on their word, then:

- there is NO anti-cycling sentiment there (quite the opposite!), and
- they are proposing their own more inclusive event in 2019.

Of course the proof of the latter is in the pudding!

But overall I find it hard to fault any of the text I currently find on that site.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #13 on: 22 September, 2018, 05:16:02 pm »

- they are proposing their own more inclusive event in 2019.

Looks like it's gonna get muddy from their banner image...   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

dod

« Reply #14 on: 22 September, 2018, 11:11:23 pm »
The Tour of Cambridgeshire has run for several years now without causing any noticeable upset. It's a mostly flat course but it's fun to do once.

There has been very noticeable upset in one area of the route which the ToC has used in all 4 editions so far, where the local town council have put a lot of effort into trying to stop it coming through their patch. It will be interesting to see how the new ToC100 route for 2019 changes things for this area in particular.