Author Topic: + size women want their own clothing range designed  (Read 50317 times)

plum

Re: + size women want their own clothing range designed
« Reply #350 on: 29 August, 2012, 08:02:24 pm »
Plum.

I simply can't make up my mind whether you are:

(a) A Troll
(3) Autistic to the point of complete inability to empathise with anyone
(viii) Thick
(e) A genius

That is beyond any shadow of a doubt one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me on the internet.

Apart from what that nice lady with the webcam was saying the other day, but that was £5 a minute charged to my mobile.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #351 on: 29 August, 2012, 08:04:24 pm »
Are you Hitler reincarnated? Are you?
I call Godwin.  Is there any further point to this thread?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris S

« Reply #352 on: 29 August, 2012, 08:06:56 pm »
Are you Hitler reincarnated? Are you?
I call Godwin.  Is there any further point to this thread?

Thank you! I knew someone would bite...

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #353 on: 29 August, 2012, 08:26:30 pm »
I think that it is a cultural thing. You don't need to be educated to eat properly my grandparents left school aged 14 or 16, didn't know about calories or complicated diets but none of them and none of their children were overweight despite eating way too much butter if you believe dietiticians. The reality is that the human body is a fantastic and versatile machine. As long as you don't chuck into your stomach processed food, eat varied stuff and exercised, it will probably cope.

It took me several years to stop smoking and I have sympathy for those who struggle to change their eating habits. For the solution, I reckon that TG got it right, it is much easier to burn calories than to survive on two tomatoes per meal.
Chief cat entertainer.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #354 on: 29 August, 2012, 08:59:12 pm »
There's no such thing as can't. If it can't be done then you might as well give up, eat yourselves to death. Addictive people will come up with a zillion reasons why they can't quit, but those are just excuses. What they actually list are reasons why it is difficult to quit. What is necessary is to help them to overcome those difficulties. Giving them bigger frocks does not achieve this.
Nobody's ever given me a bigger frock. Any clothes I have, I buy for myself with money I earn. I don't see why I should have to try to wear clothes I don't fit into because you think it'll shame me into instantly overcoming all the issues I have and miraculously becoming thin. Or do I just stay naked until that happens?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #355 on: 29 August, 2012, 09:15:27 pm »
You wear a sack and cry into your Slimfast, I think.  Closer magazine can probably give you some helpful hints. I hear seaweed's a good diet tip.

plum

« Reply #356 on: 29 August, 2012, 09:19:46 pm »
There is no actual frock, it's a metaphor.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #357 on: 29 August, 2012, 09:21:09 pm »
You can't wear a metaphor.  Specially not that one.  It's too draughty.
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #358 on: 29 August, 2012, 09:21:37 pm »
Does this metaphor make my bum look big?

plum

« Reply #359 on: 29 August, 2012, 09:28:14 pm »
More phat

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #360 on: 29 August, 2012, 09:38:33 pm »
This thread is mixing up two aspects of one problem IMO. The societal and the personal. If, as someone claimed (possibly in another thread, half the forum seems to be about this right now) the average UK adult is 20kg heavier than 50 years ago, then there's a general problem which can be tackled by Plumite solutions - taxing sugar, rationing fats, compulsory calisthenics in the server room. But even 50 years ago there were obese people - for them different, individual solutions are needed. If you want a slogan, Love the fatty and jeer at the fat society.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #361 on: 30 August, 2012, 12:22:38 am »
I might have been the one that posted the statistic quoted by Cudzo.
We need to take a hard look at the factors that have caused the situation at a societal level analyse and tackle them.
We could start by making active travel more attractive, rather than pandering to the motorist. That might not always gain votes...

« Reply #362 on: 30 August, 2012, 12:30:21 am »
On this thread, those who seem to be most eloquent and 'get it' are Teethgrinder and Julian. There is an awful lot of bigggotted crap written by social misfits I would disregard. I am not obese and have never been, but I think I have a basic understanding of the issues. Anyone who chooses to be judgemental of others stands to be judged to a very high standard (and usually found wanting). Those who see fit to judge themselves 'above' others who are above ideal weight, I find you wanting on many levels. Most of us have a higher scale of judging our fellow human than what they weigh in as. There is more to man than what the scales say FFS. This topic makes me feel lairy, and by definition thatmeans I should ignore it on principal.

« Reply #363 on: 30 August, 2012, 12:34:44 am »
The cure for the obesity epidemic. Ban sit down toilets. If you go to countries where they have squat/non contact toilets, everyone seems much thinner. if you eat a lot, you also spend a lot of time evacuating it out of your body. Make toilet time less comfortable, and you'll be less likely to overeat.  Also having to squat regularly improves mobility, and you are more aware of when you are too fat.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #364 on: 30 August, 2012, 12:38:49 am »
The cure for the obesity epidemic. Ban sit down toilets. If you go to countries where they have non contact toilets, everyone seems much thinner. if you eat a lot, you also spend a lot of time evacuating it out of your body. Make toilet time less comfortable, and you'll be less likely to overeat.  Also having to squat regularly improves mobility, and you are more aware of when you are too fat.

Then I can wet myself as I can't squat.
Gee thanks!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #365 on: 30 August, 2012, 12:39:01 am »
Edit: Post redacted as it was bitchy and non-excellent.

While I'm now technically[1] obese, my own experiences are mostly of the opposite end of the spectrum, though that's not exactly a barrel of laughs either.  This thread has been pissing me off all day, nearly as much as Gnome 3.  I think we should call it a day and go for a bike ride.

But, just in case there was an on topic post somewhere in the murky depths of the thread, I don't see what's wrong with people wanting clothes that actually fit.  I know I do.  (Looking at you, Endura)

[1] Depending on how you measure my height.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #366 on: 30 August, 2012, 12:47:45 am »
Lots of obese people using squat toilets in India. It's true that they're not the ones drinking untreated water and living in shacks by open sewers though. But I do remember when the woman upstairs from us had a suspected case of typhoid.

« Reply #367 on: 30 August, 2012, 01:02:33 am »
Isn't obesity in India linked to ghee, condensed milk, and sugar consumption.

Surely there must be some way for a human being to limit the amount they eat, the same way an animal does?

It's very easy to get obese, but it's not something that happens overnight. There must be some kind of feedback system that can stop it early on. I'm not saying anything can be done for those who are overweight now, but to stop those in the future, i.e. the kids now.  China with its one child policy is facing childhood obesity for the first time, proper fat little kids, who've been spoilt by parents and 2 sets of grandparents.

If there are cheap preventative methods they can only help.

I also think food is getting better. I remember not wanting to finish meals, or being a much fussier eater. As a child I remember thinking this tastes like sh!t, I'm not eating this. I can't remember the last time I didn't finish something because I didn't like it.  Boiled potatoes at school would be regularly left by me, but I can't remember the last time I was served boiled potatoes in this country.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #368 on: 30 August, 2012, 01:07:11 am »
Isn't obesity in India linked to ghee, condensed milk, and sugar consumption.
Probably, along with lack of exercise, social status of food and weight, and other factors. But whatever causes it, it's not prevented or solved by squat toilets.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #369 on: 30 August, 2012, 01:07:34 am »
Surely there must be some way for a human being to limit the amount they eat, the same way an animal does?

That's pretty much how it works in third-world countries...

Give an animal an unlimited supply of sufficiently desirable food and it will overeat just like most humans.

There's no evolutionary imperative not to die of obesity-related diseases.  By the time they become an issue, you've already reproduced.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #370 on: 30 August, 2012, 01:11:38 am »
This is societal overweight again. Restricting food availability or attractiveness is going to do nothing to help individuals who treat food as an addiction or comforter etc.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #371 on: 30 August, 2012, 07:07:48 am »
There is an awful lot of bigggotted crap written by social misfits I would disregard. I am not obese and have never been, but I think I have a basic understanding of the issues. Anyone who chooses to be judgemental of others stands to be judged to a very high standard (and usually found wanting). Those who see fit to judge themselves 'above' others who are above ideal weight, I find you wanting on many levels. Most of us have a higher scale of judging our fellow human than what they weigh in as. There is more to man than what the scales say FFS. This topic makes me feel lairy, and by definition thatmeans I should ignore it on principal.

That's a pretty judgemental comment in itself.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #372 on: 30 August, 2012, 10:18:51 am »

There's no evolutionary imperative not to die of obesity-related diseases.  By the time they become an issue, you've already reproduced.

The evolutionary driver would be that it is more difficult to concieve and physically give birth for those who are obese.  Obesity is linked to fertility (at least in women), which is why sometimes women are required to lose some weight before undergoing IVF.  In the absence of very good healthcare, being very obese is going to be a major barrier to the physical act of giving birth. 

The reality is that the typcial evolutionary drivers for humans are somewhat confounded by the way our society has progressed anyway. 

« Reply #373 on: 30 August, 2012, 05:18:21 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Depressingly this is not going to be for much longer, the rise in type 2 diabetes in the pre teens/teens will start affecting these.