Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469255 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #150 on: 05 February, 2015, 06:46:31 pm »
The latest move in this bloody bug seems to be to get a gland under my chin to swell up.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #151 on: 05 February, 2015, 08:28:24 pm »
The jugulo-digastric node...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #152 on: 16 February, 2015, 04:33:52 pm »
Wandering round in half a haze: the ophthalmologist had a go at my left eye in preparation for next Monday's cataract op.  If a neurologist saw my out-of-sync pupils now he'd have my head in the MRI in three seconds flat.

-----

Did a loop with a chum last Thursday in 1°C and fog. He did 63k, I did 100+. I've been training pretty constantly and was fine afterwards, it was only his 2nd ride of the year.  In the middle of the night he got up to go to the loo, keeled over and bashed his head. Next day he had another episode & went to the doc, who shoved him in hosp for a day's observation. All OK, got sent home. Went to see his doc today so now he's in for a week of tests to find out why he keeled over, inc. scan, blood test and cardiologist.

I feel that it's overkill, that he just overdid it a bit and had a couple of doses of postural hypotension: he felt fine otherwise. Still, an ECG never hurts.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #153 on: 17 February, 2015, 01:47:49 pm »
I went to the doc in november, I thought I'd damaged my neck. My neck felt 'wrong'.
She thought I had menieres or a tumour.
Those have been ruled out.

Symptoms are now; persistent headache, dizziness, pins and needles down left arm, 'compression/numbness' in face (on left), very, very stiff neck, often absolutely cramped back when I wake, occasional loss of control of limbs, very very disturbing feeling in brain when I lie down, but only in some positions.

If I consult the InternetGoogleHypochondriacDoctor, it tells me I have cervical spondylosis.

I've been in multiple car accidents, one severe. Trampled by horses, run over and fallen off cliffs. On top of that I had a bone disease/disorder that is known to produce spinal problems later in life.

Despite all this, not once have the docs x-rayed my spine.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #154 on: 19 February, 2015, 11:24:02 am »
Still not getting out on the bikes as often as I should, but on Monday I shall be starting the 100 press-up and 200 sit-up challenges.  It's going to be a long, hard road.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #155 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:48:02 am »
After getting annoyed with getting up from the floor like an old man (after playing with my young child) I have finally gone to the GP for a check up. They are very judgemental I think if you are male, not old and have a joint problem that has not incapacitated you. I've a history of knee complaints.

Anyway xray today and hopefully an MRI in the next month. Seems the fact my knee keeps locking up (bending back so it locks straight not locking up so I can't move it) and the way it collapses on me for no reason as I walk means there could be a loose body in my knee joint. That soft tissue needs MRI or arthoscopy I believe. So until then I am going to have to keep using chairs and tables to get up and have to be careful gowing down stairs. However one good thing, cycling helps a lot. I thought it would make it worse but after a ride I find there is less pain and that knee collapses on me less.

Anyone know what an MRI is like? I reckon I'll be in feet first but only up to waist so it won't feel claustrophobic for me. I have heard it is not a nice thing with a lot of noise, clicking and the tight space inside the ring. Didn't realise it takes at least 15 minutes, not a fast snap like xrays. Is that right? Anyone else have a MRI done on their legs/knees?? What was it like?

« Reply #156 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:57:57 am »
After getting annoyed with getting up from the floor like an old man (after playing with my young child) I have finally gone to the GP for a check up. They are very judgemental I think if you are male, not old and have a joint problem that has not incapacitated you. I've a history of knee complaints.

Anyway xray today and hopefully an MRI in the next month. Seems the fact my knee keeps locking up (bending back so it locks straight not locking up so I can't move it) and the way it collapses on me for no reason as I walk means there could be a loose body in my knee joint. That soft tissue needs MRI or arthoscopy I believe. So until then I am going to have to keep using chairs and tables to get up and have to be careful gowing down stairs. However one good thing, cycling helps a lot. I thought it would make it worse but after a ride I find there is less pain and that knee collapses on me less.

Anyone know what an MRI is like? I reckon I'll be in feet first but only up to waist so it won't feel claustrophobic for me. I have heard it is not a nice thing with a lot of noise, clicking and the tight space inside the ring. Didn't realise it takes at least 15 minutes, not a fast snap like xrays. Is that right? Anyone else have a MRI done on their legs/knees?? What was it like?

I've had one (or more) for my shoulder. I'd say it's about like being on a posh and comfortable sun-bed (and a lot less hazardous!)

« Reply #157 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:19:41 am »
I've had one (or more) for my shoulder. I'd say it's about like being on a posh and comfortable sun-bed (and a lot less hazardous!)
Thanks for that, like the sunbed analogy. I'll check out my tan lines after I get my leg scanned!!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #158 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:47:03 am »
For the last two weeks I've been unable to tolerate a contact lens in my right eye; as soon as I put it in my eye starts to water and becomes very red and inflamed. Left eye is fine. Went to the optician today. Cat hair embedded in my eye was removed and all is well now.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #159 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:50:24 am »

I had my hip MRId. It's not pleasant, but once they'd rolled me through so my head was sticking out, it was better. I made the mistake of opening my eyes while my head was still inside and I shouldn't have done because it felt claustrophobic enough to be distressing. As soon as my head was out, I was fine. They'll play a CD to you to take your mind off things. I think it took about 20 minutes. It's noisy but it's not sore, and if you don't open your eyes while your head is in the thing, it's just a noisy lie down.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #160 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:58:55 am »
Must admit to not feeling claustrophobia so I don't expect MRI to be an issue apart from the staying still bit. Ants in the pants when someone tells me to keep still. It is like a burning itch to move something. I guess that is because when I can do something I often don't want to but remove the prospect of being able to do it and I want to do it more than ever. Stubborn too, Don't take instructions from medical types too easily.

Still, I'm off for my xray today and expect to be contacted for an MRI appointment in a couple of weeks. Last time I arranged a hospital appointment the admin lass was someone I knew. Hate it when you're not dealing with a stranger, I mean she had access to my health records. We share a few friends and she has a big gob on her too.

simonp

« Reply #161 on: 21 February, 2015, 01:38:10 pm »
My maximum oxygen consumption is virtually identical to 5 years ago.  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #162 on: 24 February, 2015, 09:52:38 am »
Bored of the lurgy.

Was confined to bed Thursday and Friday with it, Saturday saw an improvement and Subday I was able to go out for a few hours. But it's Tuesday now and I still need to lie down for half an hour after doing something strenuous (like having a shower) and my appetite isn't back, plus I'm still drinking loads. I wish it would hurry up and completely go!!!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #163 on: 24 February, 2015, 10:42:26 am »
Had a cataract expunged yesterday. Op went very well, improvement is vast. :)  Two weeks off the bike. :(

Gobsmackery dept: hospital coffee was good, and I'm one of those pernickety bastards who measure the beans to the gramme. Amazing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #164 on: 24 February, 2015, 11:39:44 am »
Had an MRI yesterday.

Had to drink a whole litre of Manitol in 1/2 hour.  Didn't taste too bad, so wasn't that bothered.

The radiologist did warn me of the after effects of said medication.

They didn't hit me until about midnight last night, but when they did, boy did it get windy!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #165 on: 25 February, 2015, 08:44:20 am »
There's a massive flu outbreak in Germany at the moment which explains my lurgy.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #166 on: 25 February, 2015, 09:24:26 am »
Frightened myself to death last night, thought I was pissing blood, then after a minute or two remembers the packet of Beetroot crisps I had on the train home ::-)

« Reply #167 on: 25 February, 2015, 09:35:01 am »
Frightened myself to death last night, thought I was pissing blood, then after a minute or two remembers the packet of Beetroot crisps I had on the train home ::-)
Points fingers and laughs

tbh, once you've had a few episodes of pissing blood, you won't mistake the aftereffects of beetroot for blood.

Mostly, when pissing blood your urine is very dark brown, almost blackish, sometimes with small clots.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #168 on: 25 February, 2015, 09:42:18 pm »
I had a little accident last week (mentioned elsewhere), which left me with several facial scabs. Most were shallow scrapes & had fallen off by this evening, when most of what was left fell off in the bath.

Unfortunately, the scab which fell off (to my surprise: I thought it was solidly rooted, & it was the only one A&E had taped up last week) the bridge of my nose left behind an oozing hole. I'm not sure what to do about this. Just put a dressing on it? If so, what sort would be best, taking into account that ordinary plasters irritate my skin if left on long? Ask the GP nurse to have a look at it tomorrow?

All advice gratefully received.

PS. I was thinking until I saw that hole that I might get away without any visible scars.  :(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #169 on: 25 February, 2015, 09:47:21 pm »
I would leave it exposed.
I don't know if this wound would catch spectacles (or if you wear them) but I can't think of any other serious reason to use a dressing.

« Reply #170 on: 25 February, 2015, 10:37:25 pm »
Ta. I've covered it for the moment, & I think I'll keep it covered overnight, because of glasses snagging (they've been sitting on the top edge of the scab for almost a week) & the pillow. I'll try uncovering it in the morning.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #171 on: 26 February, 2015, 11:08:57 am »
If it need to be covered I would suggest you use micropore tape and non-stick dressing pad such a Melolin.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #172 on: 26 February, 2015, 01:58:25 pm »
It seems OK uncovered now. Just have to take a little care with glasses.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #173 on: 26 February, 2015, 03:25:13 pm »
Lurgy continues - eight days in bed for the flu seems a lot although I am not as bad as I was. But my German friends have persuaded me to consult a doctor tomorrow morning (which I will have to pay for) so that will test my language skills. Also it's no appointment, just turn up and wait - with this huge flu outbreak it could be a long wait!

Interestingly all the German websites on flu say go to the doctor straight away, all the english ones say treat at home. Which I guess ight be something to do with the fact that you pay for your doctor's visits.

« Reply #174 on: 26 February, 2015, 06:59:33 pm »
Eight days is above and beyond, get thee to the docs!
GWS Helen.