Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463805 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #225 on: 16 March, 2015, 12:29:32 am »
Good luck, Sam! (And the rest of you).

« Reply #226 on: 16 March, 2015, 03:07:13 pm »
vitamin D deficiency.

One of the family has been tested as low on this. No, they don't go outside (my suggestion that they do so was met with "Why the fuck would I that, I've got supplements" No, I didn't clobber them with a frying pan of spang)

Reading up on this, it's stated that the sunlight needs to be direct, that incident light through a window isn't enough. Any idea why? Glass blocking some of the spectrum maybe?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #227 on: 16 March, 2015, 03:15:52 pm »
Glass block UV (I think all wavelengths but no doubt other will know better ) quite effectively - you don't tan in a greenhouse, so I suspect that's the reason.

Short sleeves are a good idea if you don't go out much.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #228 on: 16 March, 2015, 08:54:25 pm »
I am so looking forward to seeing my GP on Friday and finding out what is wrong with me. I am so tired. All the time.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

simonp

« Reply #229 on: 16 March, 2015, 08:57:20 pm »
Glass block UV (I think all wavelengths but no doubt other will know better ) quite effectively - you don't tan in a greenhouse, so I suspect that's the reason.

Short sleeves are a good idea if you don't go out much.

Yep, AIUI, UV light is needed. Sun lamps are apparently not a good substitute.

The thing with vitamin d supplements is that you can overdose. Your natural vitamin d production self regulates to avoid this. So natural light is a better option.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #230 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:17:13 pm »
I am so looking forward to seeing my GP on Friday and finding out what is wrong with me. I am so tired. All the time.
Hopefully he has an answer for you.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #231 on: 17 March, 2015, 01:17:43 pm »
Work had a bod from Stroke Association in today, giving us a free blood pressure test if we wanted.

Got mine done, 138/89.  Just a smidge below borderline of hypertension according to the bumpf I got given!   :o :o

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #232 on: 19 March, 2015, 12:43:12 pm »
Finally got some of my liver test results back today (but not all - but the doctor's receptionist phoned the lab and asked them to fax whatever they had ready as I am going on holiday on Saturday). All seemed fine, I don't have any dodgy liver viruses.

I'm having the bog standard blood test tomorrow morning and they'll compare it with the one I had two weeks ago which had the really high liver readings and will email me the result. I feel fine and all is normal in the toilet bowl so I am guessing I have got over it.

At least I don't have Hepatitis C which would have been no fun at all.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #233 on: 19 March, 2015, 03:37:42 pm »
Work had a bod from Stroke Association in today, giving us a free blood pressure test if we wanted.

Got mine done, 138/89.  Just a smidge below borderline of hypertension according to the bumpf I got given!   :o :o

A smidge below "high normal" I think that  would be, or "mild" hypertension. In the "practice a healthy lifestyle and check again in a little while" range. That I've been in for at least 20 years  ::-). So less salt, less alcohol, more veg, more exercise for us!  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #234 on: 19 March, 2015, 05:11:39 pm »

A smidge below "high normal" I think that  would be, or "mild" hypertension. In the "practice a healthy lifestyle and check again in a little while" range. That I've been in for at least 20 years  ::-). So less salt, less alcohol, more veg, more exercise for us!  :thumbsup:

I think they may call it pre-hypertensive nowadays. But yes, the prescription seems about right.

BrianI

« Reply #235 on: 19 March, 2015, 07:33:58 pm »

Already get loads of exercise every day in my job patman posting, don't drink alcohol.  WOuldn't say I have a particularly great diet, and I have a bit of a coffee addiction....  and sugar addiction too.  Probably don't drink nearly enough water either...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #236 on: 20 March, 2015, 10:39:26 am »
My bloods all came back normal, so we've agreed I have depression and started me on sertraline.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #237 on: 20 March, 2015, 11:02:43 am »
Just got my bill for my first basic blood test - 55€. I've had another of these today and a much more involved set of liver function blood tests so I reckon that's 250€ worth in total.

I've gotta say, when you know you are paying for these it concentrates the mind wonderfully!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #238 on: 20 March, 2015, 12:20:51 pm »
Wow, very quick results from the doctor via email!!

'also die Werte sind deutlich besser geworden aber noch nicht gut . Gamma GT von 639 auf 330 U/l gesunken, AP von 531 auf 270 U/l also in der kurzen zeit sehr viel besser aber noch nicht ganz gut. Ich denke man kann akut Entwarnung geben, würde eine Kontrolle in ca. 1 Monat vorschlagen "

In other words my Gamma GT has reduced from 639 to 330 (I think it was actually 1639) and my AP from 531 to 270, so "they have clearly got better but are still not good..." "I think you may be acutely clear but I recommend a further test in a month's time."

BrianI

« Reply #239 on: 20 March, 2015, 12:45:48 pm »
Good luck with the meds EG, hopefully no troublesome side effects.

« Reply #240 on: 20 March, 2015, 12:47:14 pm »
My bloods all came back normal, so we've agreed I have depression and started me on sertraline.
I've a packet of these sitting in my coat pocket, the side affects look grim and I reckon as Spring is coming I'm not bad enough yet. I dunno.  :-\

BrianI

« Reply #241 on: 20 March, 2015, 12:51:48 pm »
I've a packet of these sitting in my coat pocket, the side affects look grim and I reckon as Spring is coming I'm not bad enough yet. I dunno.  :-\

Sertraline is what i'm on (for the moment). I didn't have any side effects when i started.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #242 on: 20 March, 2015, 12:53:00 pm »
Some people get all the side effects. Some people don't get any. Some people get some they find intolerable, some people get some they can live with. The direct effects of the depression are enough for me to risk the side effects of medication.

« Reply #243 on: 20 March, 2015, 12:55:09 pm »
Some people get all the side effects. Some people don't get any. Some people get some they find intolerable, some people get some they can live with. The direct effects of the depression are enough for me to risk the side effects of medication.
Aye. I reckon I'm unlucky enough to get lots of side effects, and not bad enough to risk them. Yet.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #244 on: 21 March, 2015, 08:56:42 am »
Wife's starting flu ("no, no, it's just sinusitis and a sore back"), I'm feeling a bit ropey, I have a 200k 12th April and my training's already shot to hell with time off for cataract op. Bugger.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #245 on: 21 March, 2015, 12:09:03 pm »
Wife's starting flu ("no, no, it's just sinusitis and a sore back"), I'm feeling a bit ropey, I have a 200k 12th April and my training's already shot to hell with time off for cataract op. Bugger.

GWS 2(T42)!

Much of the training for a 200 is mental and practical.
Don't fret!
Approach the 200 well rested, well-fed and well thought out. Skimping on food and rest in the run-up to a long ride is as least as bad as never having done a long ride.

« Reply #246 on: 21 March, 2015, 12:54:53 pm »
I'm just home from a three day stay in hospital having L4/L5 decompression surgery now on the road to recovery, could be off the bike/trike for a while
Two weeks post op back on the bike/trike and walking, I really can't believe it, I feel great and the best bit I have no pain at all, all thanks to Southampton General Hospital.

« Reply #247 on: 21 March, 2015, 01:57:15 pm »
Two weeks post op back on the bike/trike and walking, I really can't believe it, I feel great and the best bit I have no pain at all, all thanks to Southampton General Hospital.

Impressive. Give it time to heal fully before you go mad.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #248 on: 23 March, 2015, 11:39:19 am »
I think the Sertraline has kicked in. My colleagues are freaking out because I’m “bug-eyed,” “sort of manic looking” and “smiling too much.”

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #249 on: 24 March, 2015, 10:51:21 am »
Really sweaty hands and feet today.