Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469699 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #650 on: 14 January, 2016, 08:23:05 am »
I suspect
Asian genes dictate that fat is laid down in the abdominal area.
is a clue.

She might have a profile that looks 'slim' if viewed from the front, but viewed from the side looks to have significant belly fat.

As always, the pinch test can tell us a lot, as long as we are honest with ourselves.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #651 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:07:47 am »
I suspect
Asian genes dictate that fat is laid down in the abdominal area.
is a clue.

She might have a profile that looks 'slim' if viewed from the front, but viewed from the side looks to have significant belly fat.

As always, the pinch test can tell us a lot, as long as we are honest with ourselves.

The trouble with self honesty of pinch tests, is its not easy to get to the Sub-scapular test point.
A three point test can be performed, which can be achieved with a little contortionism, but the quickie is the Suprailiac, as long as the tester ( self ) knows exactly where to pinch. A fair deal of 'cheating' can be done by choosing a point closer to the navel than the hip.

« Reply #652 on: 14 January, 2016, 07:16:46 pm »
I am home and have a cathier fitted with a leg bag . they are planning to remove it at heatherwood hospital in Ascot teach me to self cathieris twice a day for a couple of weeks then only I go into retention again. The the next stage will be pressure test's of the bowels and bladder .once these are done they are saying that they should be able to prevent any future retention with the correct procedure . I am hoping that they are right of course  ::-)  :)
 With this leg bag cathier I cannot use my trike  :'( so I have got my little mobility scooter repaired so I can escape into the fully fresh air .  :)
the slower you go the more you see

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #653 on: 14 January, 2016, 07:56:21 pm »
Sorry to hear you've got to faff about with catheterising stuff for a while, hope it's not too long and they are indeed able to fix what is causing the problem.

« Reply #654 on: 14 January, 2016, 08:29:14 pm »
pressure test's of the bowels and bladder
That sounds excruciating
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #655 on: 14 January, 2016, 10:39:43 pm »
My Dad self-catheterises four times per day and is happy doing this.
He is bag-free.

Of course everyone's needs are different but self catheterising seems no great shakes for him.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #656 on: 14 January, 2016, 11:12:01 pm »
I know I am blessed with a small waist but whenever was a 34" waist on a woman 'slim'?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35280028

Who'd a thunk it? Swamp your system with high GI carbs day in, day out, work your pancreas to death, lay down masses of fat (insulin prevents effective fat metabolism) and wonder why your T2 risk goes up.

In one way, fat excepted, I wonder if the very high carb diet is what did for Sir Steve, and am surprised that pro cyclists do not end up T2
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #657 on: 15 January, 2016, 08:36:23 am »
Ditto my Dad. It is largely about motivation - being fitted with catheter and bag would impede some of his activities (cycling to get his paper, playing tennis, skip-diving for firewood - all the things 86 year olds normally get up to)

ElyDave

« Reply #658 on: 15 January, 2016, 08:57:36 am »
It's funny how we can normalise these things given sufficient motivation

I'd never have imagined sticking a pin in myself up to ten times a day 3 years ago, and changing a cannula every three days.

« Reply #659 on: 15 January, 2016, 10:01:10 am »
I fell off (low-sided) more than 4 months ago, landing squarely on my hip - followed by knee and elbow and sundry other bit's.  Everything has healed up, but the hip STILL feels bruised when I poke it lie on it in bed  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #660 on: 15 January, 2016, 01:09:37 pm »
Ditto my Dad. It is largely about motivation - being fitted with catheter and bag would impede some of his activities (cycling to get his paper, playing tennis, skip-diving for firewood - all the things 86 year olds normally get up to)

My 85 year old Dad does not get up to these things but still seems happy to be unencumbered between toilet trips.
AIUI my uncle who is the same age has a permanent catheter which is spigoted and periodically released.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #661 on: 15 January, 2016, 01:11:27 pm »
Lucky me. Seems I also have cystitis. Can't decide whether to go to the doctors here (I will have to pay) or just hope it goes away. It's not too painful, fortunately, but I have a little blood in my urine. I've had it before a few times.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #662 on: 15 January, 2016, 01:17:19 pm »
Try flushing it away with 4 pints of squash in 4 hours.

See a doctor if it's not clear after that.

IMO it's easier to drink squash than water.

Don't refill your pint glass till you've had your first pee to help prevent water intoxication.

GWS!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #663 on: 15 January, 2016, 01:34:29 pm »
Thanks. The doctors here are all closed so it'll have to be the emergency doctor (more complication) tomorrow if it gets worse.

I don't drink squash but am fine with water. Have had my first half litre!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #664 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:10:30 pm »
Cystitis, like hearing aid malfunction, has an uncanny knack of happening on weekends and bank holidays....

« Reply #665 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:22:01 pm »
Cystitis, like hearing aid malfunction, has an uncanny knack of happening on weekends and bank holidays bike rides....
Or is that just me?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #666 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:35:54 pm »
I just had the clever idea of going out with the dog for the 25 minute round walk. 10 minutes before the end it was getting pretty desperate (I had drunk a litre of water before setting off) and I ran up the stairs to my flat like greased lightning...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #667 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:38:39 pm »
Cystitis, like hearing aid malfunction, has an uncanny knack of happening on weekends and bank holidays bike rides....
Or is that just me?

Not just you.  I bailed out of the Exmouth Exodus[1] a couple of years back when my pre-start pee was distinctly the wrong colour.  (And then foolishly stranded myself in Bristol by assuming there would be trains on a Saturday evening.)  But I usually find it happens immediately after bike rides, especially those that involve  a) saddles  and  b) not drinking enough.

I note that bike rides also frequently occur at weekends and bank holidays...

[1] A ride that I'd have several counts of Unfinished Business with, if I hadn't actually completed it with Team Slow in 2011.

ElyDave

« Reply #668 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:46:06 pm »
Nope happens to me as well.  Insulin pump malfunctions always happen at weekends or middle of the night.

Mass cannula recalls when I'm in France for the week and then heading off to Aberdeen the following Monday.

Cannula site that won't stop bleeding? Tuesday 6:30pm just when I was about to go for a turbo session - solved by quantities of surgical tape, but didn't look pretty.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #669 on: 15 January, 2016, 02:53:23 pm »
Or is that just me?

After one Valentine's weekend, I was rewarded with the theft of my bicycle and cystitis.
A romantic double whammy...

It's no fun trailing round bike shops when you're pissing bloody daggers every 20 minutes...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #670 on: 15 January, 2016, 05:37:28 pm »
Well four hours of lots of water and visits to the loo every 15 minutes seem to have helped a lot. Less burning (although it wasn't bad to start with) and only a tiny trace of blood. I am reducing the water now to 250ml post pee (I was drinking 400ml post-pee earlier) and I hope it will all settle down. I feel OK in myself.

I suspect my long ride yesterday in waterproof trousers and then sitting around for an hour in my sweaty knickers before I got home for a shower was a significant contributor!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #671 on: 15 January, 2016, 06:49:16 pm »
Glad you're a bit better! Stop drinking a couple of hours before bedtime but start your day with a BIG mug of coffee tomorrow, then see how you go.

« Reply #672 on: 16 January, 2016, 07:21:31 am »
I fell off (low-sided) more than 4 months ago, landing squarely on my hip - followed by knee and elbow and sundry other bit's.  Everything has healed up, but the hip STILL feels bruised when I poke it lie on it in bed  >:(

I had a similar experience a few years ago.   Apparently it is called a Bursa and was sore for a year or so I was threatened with a steroid injection so just shut up.   it is better now about 3 years later.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #673 on: 16 January, 2016, 01:04:39 pm »

I had a similar experience a few years ago.   Apparently it is called a Bursa and was sore for a year or so I was threatened with a steroid injection so just shut up.   it is better now about 3 years later.
A Bursa is part of your body - a cushioning pad. They are found in most joints, but I'm not aware of one on the outside of the hip.

A haematoma is a local swelling caused by internal bleeding. They vary from being a spectacular bruise with swelling to a huge blood-filled lump.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #674 on: 16 January, 2016, 01:16:06 pm »
There is the trochanteric bursa which often takes a hit when a cyclist lands on the hip, sometimes causing a bleed.

Still, that's preferable to a hip fracture.