Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463759 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #850 on: 04 March, 2016, 04:14:28 pm »
 ;D .
 I am worried that there something wrong with my leg's. I was not cycling for 6 weeks but was able to build my fittness back with no real discomfort but since I have had 3 week's of in January I am getting muscle pain in the top of my thighs .I have ridden a few25/35 mile ride's with Jonathan notp and while not pain free it hurt's when. I try and put the power in.
Yesterday I rode 42 mile's at a reasonable pace for me and today I am finding painful to ride to the local shop  :( . long itchington is not that far away but if I am struggling unloaded now I am scared that I will fail to do the 77 miles .
the slower you go the more you see

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #851 on: 04 March, 2016, 04:27:10 pm »
I'm wondering if your bladder and antibiotic issues are causing mineral and other problems, which will settle when (hopefully) you can exist without that flippin' catheter!
Suspect if intermittent self-catheterisin is needed, things would be OK.

I don't know if your tube is changing your saddle posture and the way you use your thigh muscles...

« Reply #852 on: 04 March, 2016, 05:05:35 pm »
I am ridding a trice trike hellymedic so no saddle to worry about. The position is the same with or without the tube.. Is this something that I could improve with vitamin supplements?. I would obviously speak to my doctor first :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #853 on: 04 March, 2016, 05:11:00 pm »
Vitamin supplements are unlikely to do any harm. Whether they do any good is moot.
Catheters, anaesthetics and bladder issues did funny things to my Dad so I'm pondering...

« Reply #854 on: 04 March, 2016, 05:42:39 pm »
I had just finished my last post and the doctor called  ::-) .He says the bladder infection I have may not respond to the antibiotics He proscribed for me so he is giving me some which could interfere with my citalopram with a very remote chance of heart problems and also can cause direar   :o . I wonder if I can manage without the citalopram for 7days

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #855 on: 04 March, 2016, 05:45:18 pm »
I really know naff-all about citalopram and feel you should discuss things with you GP.

« Reply #856 on: 04 March, 2016, 05:48:08 pm »
Hmm, I took citalopram for a while. Stopping taking it abruptly was NOT advised
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #857 on: 04 March, 2016, 05:52:11 pm »
OK I will follow doctor s order's. Thank you for your thoughts hellymedic and mrcharly  :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #858 on: 04 March, 2016, 08:19:33 pm »
Saw the consultant hand surgeon today about the lump on my thumb. She doesn't know what it is, has referred me for an ultrasound with the words "bizarre lump" on the referral, and thanked me for coming in with something moderately interesting.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #859 on: 04 March, 2016, 08:27:01 pm »
Saw the consultant hand surgeon today about the lump on my thumb. She doesn't know what it is, has referred me for an ultrasound with the words "bizarre lump" on the referral, and thanked me for coming in with something moderately interesting.

Hopefully not like that 'moderately interesting' episode of Enterprise where Trip accidentally shags an alien, gets pregnant and grows nipples on his wrists...

« Reply #860 on: 04 March, 2016, 08:40:20 pm »
has referred me for an ultrasound with the words "bizarre lump" on the referral
Do we get a photo so we can all do our own online diagnosis for you?

« Reply #861 on: 04 March, 2016, 09:48:04 pm »
Hmm, I took citalopram for a while. Stopping taking it abruptly was NOT advised
+1 (actually +lots&lots) - even reducing it gives me the eebies
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #862 on: 04 March, 2016, 09:51:02 pm »
I'm slowly coming to the unfortunate conclusion that a longer than usual bike ride at the beginning of the week will lead to a resurgence of depression symptoms by the middle of the week which subside by the end of the week.
Happened twice now - not good, and not helping my plans to get Audax-fit this year.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #863 on: 06 March, 2016, 09:38:27 am »
^^^ Tell me about it. It takes me 3 months to get over the "back-to-the-cowshed" feeling that follows a 1000k.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #864 on: 06 March, 2016, 09:47:00 am »
...It takes me 3 months....

Any tips about minimising it would be valuable (of course), but it's likely to be a mystery.

« Reply #865 on: 06 March, 2016, 12:23:32 pm »
I'm slowly coming to the unfortunate conclusion that a longer than usual bike ride at the beginning of the week will lead to a resurgence of depression symptoms by the middle of the week which subside by the end of the week.

This sounds like the endorphins are kicking up but then you are getting a rebound.

Any chance of doing an hour on the turbo on Wednesday to just boost the endorphins again?  Alternatively are there any dietary changes you could make or a vitamin supplement that might help.  If you are on statins then a lot of people (with no scientific evidence) swear by Co-Q.

It is difficult though to maintain the bliss of a long ride for the rest of the week.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #866 on: 06 March, 2016, 02:02:38 pm »
...It takes me 3 months....

Any tips about minimising it would be valuable (of course), but it's likely to be a mystery.

If I knew... really, I think the only solution is to do something else challenging.  In 2007 I followed up PBP with a couple of Alpine cols and Mt. Ventoux and felt great.

It's when I go back home and seem to remember every crack in the tarmac, every bit of gravel and every beer-can in the ditch that the naus sets in.

« Reply #867 on: 06 March, 2016, 03:56:53 pm »

This sounds like the endorphins are kicking up but then you are getting a rebound.

Any chance of doing an hour on the turbo on Wednesday to just boost the endorphins again?  Alternatively are there any dietary changes you could make or a vitamin supplement that might help.  If you are on statins then a lot of people (with no scientific evidence) swear by Co-Q.

It is difficult though to maintain the bliss of a long ride for the rest of the week.
Not been caught in the statin-trap yet.

The turbo on Wednesday is a very good plan and quite do-able.
I've booked to do a DIY-by-GPS tomorrow (just a 50km to try out the tech at my end) which shouldn't be over-taxing, although it will be cold. I will go to the gym on Wednesday with Mrs M. I normally do housework on Wednesdays while she's there, so there's a double-win situation.

Dietary changes? Mrs M is feeding me Slimming World fruit-fibre-and-fart meals, so I'm getting lots of vitamins (from the veg) and a fair amount of protein (I suspect), it could be that I'm missing out on the simple carbohydrates that work as fuel.

All good stuff - thanks! :thumbsup:

« Reply #868 on: 09 March, 2016, 09:43:42 pm »
;D .
 I am worried that there something wrong with my leg's. I was not cycling for 6 weeks but was able to build my fittness back with no real discomfort but since I have had 3 week's of in January I am getting muscle pain in the top of my thighs .I have ridden a few25/35 mile ride's with Jonathan notp and while not pain free it hurt's when. I try and put the power in.
Yesterday I rode 42 mile's at a reasonable pace for me and today I am finding painful to ride to the local shop  :( . long itchington is not that far away but if I am struggling unloaded now I am scared that I will fail to do the 77 miles .

Update , I am now over half way through the new course of antibiotics and my leg's are feeling much better. So it seems that the urnine infection was somehow effecting my leg muscles .   now I need to get some miles in ☺

« Reply #869 on: 10 March, 2016, 01:47:33 pm »
Freedom! Sort of, I have a brace to wear, but I can take it off, shower etc. Hand is very very weak and will be so for a while.

Yes very nice nurse practitioner took pains to explain I've made remarkable progress, that normally my injury has to have a plate fitted.

Bad news is that brace isn't compatible with typing - but at least ergo keyboard gives correct support.

My forearm has withered remarkably. Looks emaciated next to my right arm.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #870 on: 10 March, 2016, 01:52:21 pm »
^^^Crikey yes, I can remember trying to lift my forearm when sling and braces came off after my broken collar-bone.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #871 on: 10 March, 2016, 02:16:50 pm »
What is the price of half a dozen oysters? I seem to have coughed up a few today and I'm looking for a buyer.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #872 on: 10 March, 2016, 02:30:07 pm »
As long as there's an R in the month.

« Reply #873 on: 10 March, 2016, 07:26:17 pm »
The cathier is still causing me woe  ::-) . it is sore . at first I could manage any soreness with canesten cream and a lubricant used alternaly but now whatever I use does not seem to make a lot of difference . oh well another call to the doctor in the morning  :(

« Reply #874 on: 10 March, 2016, 08:00:55 pm »
ouchy, cycleman.  Hope you get help in the morning.
<i>Marmite slave</i>