Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469628 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1425 on: 05 December, 2016, 05:55:12 pm »
I'd rather have good painkillers and no sedation.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1426 on: 05 December, 2016, 08:10:10 pm »
Managed to quite deeply cut a finger, so off to A&E to get is superglued. 

Was supposed to get a dressing change after three days but could get an appointment so after 4 days I took the dressing off and at 5 days took the strips off.  The finger looks gory and is super sensitive. 

Is there anything I can do to speed the healing process, diabetic so I heal slowly :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1427 on: 05 December, 2016, 08:25:40 pm »
Hands and fingers are precious and advising without examining is not clever.
I think you should see if your GP's Practice Nurse can review and dress your finger.
Injured hands are usually best elevated and mobilised.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1428 on: 05 December, 2016, 08:45:43 pm »
Agreed if you're diabetic you want an expert to look everything over regularly for you - liking Helly's GP nurse suggestion.  Even a mild injury can go very serious very quickly in your situation. 

« Reply #1429 on: 06 December, 2016, 06:17:29 am »
a minor ailment by most standards on here but i am suffering with the current cold cough sore throat virus that is going around . this day 9 of it . i saw the doctor yesterday lunchtime and my chest was clear so no chest infection . overnight the cough has become dry and infrequent and i think it might to becoming a chest infection  .   i feel i should not bother the doctor again as if it is not a chest infection i would be wasting there time . i and feeling scared and depressed and helpless . :-[. i am such a wimp  :(. all of you who are really suffering get well soon  :)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1430 on: 06 December, 2016, 11:04:32 am »
Managed to quite deeply cut a finger, so off to A&E to get is superglued. 

Was supposed to get a dressing change after three days but could get an appointment so after 4 days I took the dressing off and at 5 days took the strips off.  The finger looks gory and is super sensitive. 

Is there anything I can do to speed the healing process, diabetic so I heal slowly :(

I'm also diabetic. Years ago I had a crack in the flesh of one heel: the doc prescribed a corticosteroid cream called Nerisone that healed it up amazingly fast.  I've asked for it again a couple of times, usually for saddle sores, but his response has been "it's not for that".  I know that corticosteroids and diabetes don't go well together, but I'd think that for the couple of days healing would take any other effects would be negligible.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1431 on: 06 December, 2016, 03:20:47 pm »
After spending the whole of last week fighting a sore throat / productive cough I have now reached the stage where my throat is clear but my skull feels a size too small.

This is not helped by the fact that I am away from home at the moment and won't be home until after a 3 hour plus train journey tomorrow evening.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1432 on: 06 December, 2016, 04:54:53 pm »
but my skull feels a size too small.

Eloquently put!

I'll file that for future reference next to "feels like someone's dry-cleaned my sinuses".

« Reply #1433 on: 06 December, 2016, 05:20:31 pm »
Had an iffy couple of months, first off an infected toe, germolene etc. wouldn't touch it so GP wacked it with antibiotics (previous toe infection matured into cellulitis so taking no chances), a week after that cleared I got some sort of urine infection with the usual high temp. shivers, constant peeing and generally being on another planet. Even managed to get an out of hours GP to visit at 4.45 am on a Monday. More antibiotics yum!. Got rid of that then acid reflux started getting on my wick and disturbing my beauty sleep. Ranitidene for me then.
On top of that lot my BP started going silly, dizzy an faint every time I stood up so theyve taken me off diuretics for the time being. Fingers crossed no probs. after 5 days off them and BP is not rocketing. Roll on Christmas eh!!
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1434 on: 06 December, 2016, 05:35:04 pm »
Hands and fingers are precious and advising without examining is not clever.
I think you should see if your GP's Practice Nurse can review and dress your finger.
Injured hands are usually best elevated and mobilised.

Thanks for the reply, the cut has been cleaned and the bit of flesh superglued. So I doubt there will be any infection. It just looks gory and feels strange/ hurts.

« Reply #1435 on: 19 December, 2016, 10:35:54 am »
BN on Sat I slipped down icy gangplank (welly boots don't have much grip on icy wood) and left arm (the previously broken/grafted/operated one) went between railings with a wonderful twist. I guess the 6mm plate helped . . .

GN it came out looking reasonably straight and I was able to carry on working. No mobility issues.

Wrist is sore this morning, and red, rather than bruising black. I'm assuming soft-tissue inflammation rather than other damage.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

« Reply #1436 on: 19 December, 2016, 04:26:26 pm »
Yikes! Fingers crossed that's minimal damage. Ouch nonetheless!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1437 on: 19 December, 2016, 04:58:05 pm »
@mrcharly: Ouch.

<grumble>
Our doc's wider-still-&-wider practice has a new switchboard with a vocal menu. As far as I can make out all it does is select which secretary is going to make your appointment, the wait to be served is just as long as before. But instead of appointments on the quarter-hour they're now on 10-minute intervals. It's going to be like the NHS before long. Bollocks.
</grumble>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1438 on: 20 December, 2016, 02:48:59 pm »
Hoo fuckin' ray!  The doc dropped the cardiologist's 5°C limit to 0°C, so now I can train through most of the winter.  I don't ride on ice anyway, diabetic bones don't heal well.

So apologolilies to aforesaid gent for yestreen's grumble.

« Reply #1439 on: 20 December, 2016, 02:57:00 pm »
Ouch, mrcharly. That made me wince. Good news, T42!

I'm pissed off. First day of the holidays, I came down with a colleague's lurgy which she'd caught in Hong Kong (I told her not to bring it into the office). Coupled with a cricked neck and nerve pain in my arm I am this:  >:(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1440 on: 20 December, 2016, 03:06:04 pm »
Sympathies, Peli.  There was a time when HK flu was cause for alarm...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1441 on: 20 December, 2016, 04:00:25 pm »
GWS Peli!
Wishing you a happier holiday!

« Reply #1442 on: 20 December, 2016, 04:13:33 pm »
Thanks Helly and T42. Wish there was something I could do about my diabolically weak immune system. Taking daily corticosteroids (and commuting, and working with students) has made it worse. Bleurgh.

barakta

« Reply #1443 on: 20 December, 2016, 05:07:41 pm »
Ugh sympathies, just remember that immune systems aren't morally superior or inferior despite what some people say.  A huge portion of it is luck and biology.  Reminds me to take EvenMoarDrugz to poke currentlurgy (which I can't even blame germy studes for).

« Reply #1444 on: 20 December, 2016, 05:15:46 pm »
Thanks barakta. Get well soon, you!

It doesn't help that some colleagues have cast-iron immunities to bugs and enjoy gloating/ making snide comments.

"Oh, is Peli off sick again?! I grin and bear it when I'm sick - you've just got to get on with it, haven't you?"

>:( >:( >:(

barakta

« Reply #1445 on: 20 December, 2016, 07:45:30 pm »
I hate the smug from people with good immune systems. It's not a morality contest. It helps my disability adviser colleagues recognised this kind of commentary as disablism and the sort of thing our students also get a lot of. Some commenters did buy clue when I explained the problems with their words, but others never did.

I've had crap managers and HR give me (bad) medical advice claiming if I followed it, I wouldn't be ill despite my medical letters saying otherwise - they get the full on "well I didn't die as a baby, this is the body and health I get instead" line which upsets them terribly but it's true, I didn't die and their feelz aren't my problem.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1446 on: 20 December, 2016, 09:26:29 pm »
This year's lurgy is remarkably persistent and doesn't appear to properly shift.  CET Junior has been less than 100% for 6 weeks.  My father has been admitted to hospital with pneumonia and my father-in-law felt sufficiently crocked that he cancelled the using pre-Christmas dinner drinking session (and he has a constitution of an ox). 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1447 on: 20 December, 2016, 10:19:00 pm »
I hate the smug from people with good immune systems. It's not a morality contest. It helps my disability adviser colleagues recognised this kind of commentary as disablism and the sort of thing our students also get a lot of. Some commenters did buy clue when I explained the problems with their words, but others never did.

I've had crap managers and HR give me (bad) medical advice claiming if I followed it, I wouldn't be ill despite my medical letters saying otherwise - they get the full on "well I didn't die as a baby, this is the body and health I get instead" line which upsets them terribly but it's true, I didn't die and their feelz aren't my problem.

I hope I've never come across as smug!
My Dad and my partner COMPLAIN that I don't catch lurgies/am never ill.

I KNOW I'm lucky!

I'm sure it helps that I don't get out much and I treated every snotty nose in Edgware for several years.

But I know I am lucky!

Wishing all lurgied yacfers better!

barakta

« Reply #1448 on: 20 December, 2016, 10:23:32 pm »
*grins at Helly* You don't come across as smug, you recognise you have a good immune system (possibly "too good" given your MS!?) and that it is entirely luck what illnesses people and do not get :)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #1449 on: 20 December, 2016, 11:27:55 pm »
/quote]
I don't ride on ice anyway, diabetic bones don't heal well.

Is this a fact? I have type 2 and insipidus and have suffered various bone problems, including having surgery, since the T2 diagnosis.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!