Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 425170 times)

simonp

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #450 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:31:54 pm »
I decided long ago that RRTY was not for me. Glad I've not made a large investment in it.

« Reply #451 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:33:22 pm »
I've now missed out on November so RRTY stands at 36 consec. months; 2 months off; 8 consec. months - abandon. Probably until next March now  ;D
Still, 44 months out of 46 ain't bad is it  :-\
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #452 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:39:52 pm »
I decided long ago that RRTY was not for me.
You have to like* 100k TTs to Hungerford** on the A4 !

*Or at least tolerate.
**Substitute Red Lodge or whatever is the East Anglian equivalent.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #453 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:41:11 pm »
I've now missed out on November so RRTY stands at 36 consec. months; 2 months off; 8 consec. months - abandon. Probably until next March now  ;D

Don't dispair, there is plenty of time yet. I once started a RRTY ride at 23:45 of the 31st (of August!).

« Reply #454 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:52:14 pm »

Don't dispair, there is plenty of time yet. I once started a RRTY ride at 23:45 of the 31st (of August!).
No, you must be joking - 'tis my b'day ain't it. I have an appointment with a bottle of wine  :thumbsup:
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

LEE

« Reply #455 on: 30 November, 2010, 02:58:47 pm »

No, you must be joking - 'tis my b'day ain't it. I have an appointment with a bottle of wine  :thumbsup:

Many Happy Returns Margaret

AndyH

« Reply #456 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:13:15 pm »
I've now missed out on November

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Im on my way over with 2 DIY cards. Get your kit ON

« Reply #457 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:06:00 pm »
I said that one RRTY was enough but now I feel guilty if I don't keep it going.

Be very careful  That way leads to total adiction.     ::-) ::-)

Geoff

60 + 8  (Do not tell SWMBO that I am counting again)  ;) ;)
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #458 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:30:51 pm »
I'm planning a main road bash on either 11th or 18th. South Anston (just west of Worksop), Gainsborough, Louth, Horncastle, Market Rasen, South Anston (pending approval from Mr. F). Takers will be welcome.
If you do the 18th I may well be up for that.
I seem to be a little overbooked for December and have as yet failed to persuade my host that 200k would be a fine way to spend Friday, where it will be a balmy 7 degrees. O well. Fingers crossed for better weather in the 2nd half of December.

OK, I'll go with the 18th.

mikewigley

« Reply #459 on: 30 November, 2010, 08:38:11 pm »

Are you saying that I allowed that as an August ride?

Manotea

« Reply #460 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:57:31 pm »

Well, it was as far as AUK was concerned!

n.b. This was a few years back when I was young and keen

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #461 on: 01 December, 2010, 09:53:05 am »
That is the first of the Decemeber 200s done- 2nd one planned for saturday. As LW&B says weather here is apparently unseasonable. First time for 10 years i am told that annual rainfall has exceeded the long term average - and there is still a month to go.
certainly i had an hour of pretty heavy rain as I headed for hom e- but it was warm rain- so not much point in putting any extra gear on
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Chris S

« Reply #462 on: 01 December, 2010, 10:23:33 am »
As LW&B says weather here is apparently unseasonable. First time for 10 years i am told that annual rainfall has exceeded the long term average - and there is still a month to go.
certainly i had an hour of pretty heavy rain as I headed for home- but it was warm rain- so not much point in putting any extra gear on

*looks outside*

Cheat!

My heart bleeds for you  ::-)

;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #463 on: 01 December, 2010, 12:14:35 pm »

So, some chance of backdated removal?  ;)  Oh well, it doesn't really matter anyway.

[quote RRTY FAQ]
If I ride a 600 starting in one month and finishing in the next, in which month does it counts for RRTY?
I suppose it's possible to start on, say, the 31st August and finish it on 1st September. This could count in either month, but not both. You should have ridden at least 200km on the day for which you are making the claim.
[/quote]
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Manotea

« Reply #464 on: 01 December, 2010, 02:19:30 pm »

So, some chance of backdated removal?  ;)  Oh well, it doesn't really matter anyway.

[quote RRTY FAQ]
If I ride a 600 starting in one month and finishing in the next, in which month does it counts for RRTY?
I suppose it's possible to start on, say, the 31st August and finish it on 1st September. This could count in either month, but not both. You should have ridden at least 200km on the day for which you are making the claim.
[/quote]

Oops, I obviously missed that last bit! FWIW, riding a solo perm through the night hardly counts as an easy option.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #465 on: 01 December, 2010, 02:32:20 pm »
Me, stirring the pot?  :P
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Manotea

« Reply #466 on: 01 December, 2010, 03:01:16 pm »
As long as they don't deport me... hang on, it's summer in Australia!

Chris S

« Reply #467 on: 04 December, 2010, 11:46:58 am »
A chink in the weather!

I'm off out for a main road bash to bank this month's 200 before the snows return. The forecast for the rest of the month is dire - and lo-and-behold, the temperature has been above zero for almost 12 hours now. This is as good as it gets I think.

Thank AUK for online entry and GPS validation!

« Reply #468 on: 04 December, 2010, 01:08:25 pm »
A chink in the weather!

I'm off out for a main road bash to bank this month's 200 before the snows return. The forecast for the rest of the month is dire - and lo-and-behold, the temperature has been above zero for almost 12 hours now. This is as good as it gets I think.

I might try the same tomorrow. Bollox to Christmas shopping. That's what t'internet is for.

Chris S

« Reply #469 on: 04 December, 2010, 05:36:17 pm »
A chink in the weather!

Arse  >:(. DNF after 110km. Confucius he says "Man who gives blood on Thursday, shouldn't try a freezing cold randonnee on Saturday."

I just couldn't maintain temperature - to the point where I was getting so cold, I was close to passing out. At that point I decided it didn't need to be icy to be dangerous. Then it got icy. Then it started to snow, and at that point I engaged full "Bollocks to this" mode.

I'm off to thaw out in the bath.

Billy Weir

« Reply #470 on: 04 December, 2010, 06:10:14 pm »
To try and fail is at least to learn; to fail to try is to suffer the inestimable loss of what might have been.

PS: Beer is good for blood volume  ;)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #471 on: 04 December, 2010, 09:40:29 pm »
Like Chris S, toady I've mainly been cycling along A-roads for my December ride. I've done about 209 km, of which all bar 33 km was on A-road, and the remaining distance was along a decent B-road. The route would be awful in summer, but today it was OK. It was really nice to be out and there were some very pretty snow covered fields covered in Lincolnshire. The weather was always above freezing, as evident by the drizzle that hit me somewhere after Lincoln. I ended up taking over 13 hrs for the ride, but then I did spend over 4 hrs at my grandparents and aunt & uncles place being fed dinner and guzzling wine. It makes a solo DIY that much more sociable. *Hic*. Oh, and that completes my first RRtY :thumbsup:. In celebration my final proof of passage purchase was 8 bottles of Hoegaarden.

Jan: The Willy Warmer (200 km)
Feb: Rutland & Beyond (100 km) + ECE 100
Mar: DIY200 Nottingham > London
Apr: The Elenith (300 km)
May: Bryan Chapman (600 km)
Jun: DIY600 around East Anglia
Jul: Lowlands1200
Aug: Lincolnshire Cross (200 km)
Sep: Northern Dales (200 km)
Oct: The Clwydian (200 km)
Nov: DIY200 (Staffordshire Lanes)
Dec: DIY200 (Lincolnshire A-roads)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #472 on: 04 December, 2010, 09:46:17 pm »
Very impressive Adamski, well done.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #473 on: 04 December, 2010, 09:48:57 pm »
and that completes my first RRtY :thumbsup:. In celebration my final proof of passage purchase was 8 bottles of Hoegaarden.

Top banana  :thumbsup:

« Reply #474 on: 04 December, 2010, 10:09:05 pm »
but then I did spend over 4 hrs at my grandparents and aunt & uncles place being fed dinner and guzzling wine. It makes a solo DIY that much more sociable. *Hic*. Oh, and that completes my first RRtY :thumbsup:. In celebration my final proof of passage purchase was 8 bottles of Hoegaarden.

Well done, welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Chris S and I have also been adopting the warm-and-mildly-alcoholic-stop strategy recently. It's a winner, especially at this time of year.