Author Topic: Foreign Travel  (Read 7285 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Foreign Travel
« Reply #50 on: 04 October, 2021, 01:23:41 pm »
Liechtenstein and Vatican City are proper countries but Bermuda isn’t.

Perhaps Karla should have phrased it more precisely - “the number of countries not in the EU is an order of magnitude greater than the number within the EU.”

Would an order of magnitude not be 270? 27 -> 270?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Foreign Travel
« Reply #51 on: 04 October, 2021, 01:34:49 pm »
Liechtenstein and Vatican City are proper countries but Bermuda isn’t.

Perhaps Karla should have phrased it more precisely - “the number of countries not in the EU is an order of magnitude greater than the number within the EU.”

Would an order of magnitude not be 270? 27 -> 270?

J
19, 27, 88 are of order of magnitude 1
131, 205, 870 are of order of magnitude 2

The order of magnitude is the integer part (by truncation) of the base 10 logarithm of the number.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Foreign Travel
« Reply #52 on: 06 October, 2021, 02:58:46 pm »

If I hadn't renewed my passport earlier this year, I dont think I would have bothered to renew it now.  My wife's passport is up later next year and she is not going to bother to renew it as she thinks that foreign travel will be problematic for many more years yet.

I agree about foreign travel but consider the future use of passports for ID even at home.

Given how long it takes to get a passport. Have one ready. Just in case. You never know when you might need one.

J

Although if you scream at the FCDO (cybernetically speaking) that your passport is not for travel and that you need it for ID at all moments of your life, they can be surprisingly nimble. I think that mine in june last year took about 10 days but it had run out about a month beforehand and I was held up with stupid things like barbers and photographers (vain sod that I am). I was sweating a bit as I could have needed it at any moment for work and even walking the dog in the evenings! Oh the pleasures of being an assimilated foreigner!

The FCDO is not responsible for passports.  They are issued by HM Passport Office, which is an executive agency of the Home Office.

There are delays in issuing passports at the moment of up to three months.  If you're going to need one in the coming months, I'd suggest applying for one sooner rather than later.

Checks passport, indeed issued by HMPO. Looks at preceding passport, issued by FCO. Sorry!! It's difficult moving with the times when you're a dinosaur!

Since 1993 the FCO only issued passports overseas and hasn't done that since 2011.   
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor