Author Topic: (Random) night (random) run to the (random) pubbe (N.Yorks)  (Read 66525 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: (Random) night (random) run to the (random) pubbe (N.Yorks)
« Reply #725 on: 11 November, 2011, 01:25:27 pm »
Last night started with me going to get changed and, as I stood upstairs getting dressed, I heard a noise I hadn't heard for far too long, that being the squeel of CL's brakes, coming from outside.

I wandered downstairs to find CL and CA parking their bikes up.  CU was on his way, having set off from York at 15:00 to ride to NTR.  CA and CU had taken the train, thus why they were there first :)

Once everyone had gathered (CU having a bit of direction assistance from Mrs T, who had just dropped TLD off at Brownies), coffee crunk and chats had, we set off into the night.

I had said this ride was flat, with no nasty COR and relatively short.

One or more of these statements may have been viewed as a lie by one or more participants, at different times.

We did 14 miles pre-pub, some off it away from main roads, a tiny little bit of mud and some tiny little hills (you couldn't even call them hills, just slight upwards rises.)

Beer, chips and burgers were consumed at the pub (as well as the LARGEST cheese butty I had ever seen, and garlic mushrooms).

More chatting then we parted, the lions heading off to the station to go home and me to ride the 10 miles back home.

Notable things from the night:
the BMW driver (yes I said BMW) who, when he saw us coming down the road, put his lights onto sidelights until he had passed us!!!!!
The complete and utter cock who tried to go across a small, VERY narrow bridge at the same time that myself and CU were on said bridge (I think he heard my shout, even through his closed windows)
The sheep at Thorton Stud, I thought it would be funny to scare them off with a loud "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA".  this worked, until they then decided that their escape route would be across the road, 5 foot in front of me.  This set off a laughing fit for me :)
Finding a MP3 player in the grass verge.
The ride home, which was through a night where there was a thin layer of cloud, so the moonlight was so diffused it I had a shadow, at ~23:00 in November!
Having fun with friends, on bikes, drinking beer and eating chips!
Even the pub staff have got used to us now!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #726 on: 11 November, 2011, 01:33:35 pm »
The beerlady greeted me with a 'hello again!', which I think is quite funny for a pub that is 20 odd miles from where I live.  I replied with 'I've earned my chips today - I rode here' which got me a big grin and a 'well done!'.

Think the regulars propping up the bar clearly think we are bonkers, mind.

CrinklyAuntie

• aka Auntie Cake and The Sheriff of Christmas
« Reply #727 on: 11 November, 2011, 01:44:39 pm »
That was a cracking night out and I actually didn't mind the slightly lumpy bits, maybe I'm getting a little bit better at them :)

Fave moment - Stealth cow

tiermat

« Reply #728 on: 11 November, 2011, 01:46:19 pm »
That was a cracking night out and I actually didn't mind the slightly lumpy bits, maybe I'm getting a little bit better at them :)

i had forgotten about them, carbon fibre cows, no straight lines so they can chew cud without being picked up by radar :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #729 on: 11 November, 2011, 03:37:26 pm »
As this thread has run and run (49 pages now, can you believe it? All from 3 friends deciding to go out for a bike ride to the pub, one evening), and we have diversified a little, it is probably time to start new threads (yes I do mean plural) for future rides.

As the NTR ones seem settled on Thursdays I shall title the first one "Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Rides" The second one is TBD....

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #730 on: 11 November, 2011, 03:50:54 pm »

Oh.... that sounds a bit familiar.  I think someone might have been riding with one of those fast-northern-boys-wot-are-a-bad-influence.... you know where that ends up, don't you?  Terribly tall sounding places like Kildale and Commondale and lots of places with 'bank' in the name.  And voluntary chevrons of the the wrong sort.  And possibly the Tan Hill.  It's a slippery slope, I tell you! (especially on the ice)