Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 636643 times)

corshamjim

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #950 on: 01 July, 2011, 07:41:54 am »
Thanks - I'll see if I can take my Mum & Dad there some time.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #951 on: 01 July, 2011, 07:44:46 pm »
A nice pale blue and white early '80s Harry Quinn. Rider had taken it over from his dad, which is nice. It had originally had a triple but when the front mech gave up the ghost, it proved impossible to find a non-indexed triple mech, so he converted it to singlespeed. This he told me after the following mishearing;
"Is it 531?"
"No, it's singlespeed."

;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CyclistsAnonymous

« Reply #952 on: 05 July, 2011, 06:32:43 pm »
sitting outside having a coffee at Luca's in Musselburgh the other day and a fella went flying by on a PennyFarthing of all things. Pimped out in a nice purpley/blue paint job too.

AndyK

« Reply #953 on: 06 July, 2011, 06:24:51 pm »
That's a Foska jersey. Is that your auction then?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #954 on: 06 July, 2011, 06:27:32 pm »
That's a Foska jersey. Is that your auction then?
Since the same message is appearing in practically every thread, perhaps it should be a 'Spam' jersey instead ...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #955 on: 07 July, 2011, 10:38:56 pm »
Lynskey in Clapham.  Parking up at the supermarket as I passed, so didn't get a good look, but it didn't look awfully recent, though it was classy.
Getting there...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #956 on: 08 July, 2011, 12:12:45 pm »
There's a Kona Ute parked outside my hotel in Toronto most days with homemade wooden tandem kids' seat and leather double saddle bags. Had a nice chat with it's owner one morning

Managed to get a photo on Monday:

photo.JPG by paulfulford, on Flickr

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #957 on: 08 July, 2011, 03:14:36 pm »
What the bloody hell is that awful noise?

It's a bike.  With a trailer.  The bike is a cheapo full-susser repainted by airbrush to read 92nd(?) Sutherland Regiment, with a patch of tartan on it.

The trailer was a mobile sound system with adapted in car speakers screwed to it, and massively overdriven.  Square waves all over the shop.  And the CD was skipping dreadfully.  The trailer had various images painted on it, and had two driving lights attached to the top facing rearwards.

Beatrix has nothing to fear from this device.  And the owner's taste in music is nowhere near as good as our Valiant's ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #958 on: 09 July, 2011, 03:53:54 pm »
... And the CD was skipping dreadfully. ...

It would be a bad idea to have the CD in a bicycle trailer, mine tends to bounce quite a bit, depending on heavily loaded it is, and I'd hate to think what effect that would have on a player.  It would be much more sensible to carry it on your person (your body is pretty good at suspending things in a non-rattly non bouncy-way), or these days replace it with a cheap, and solid state, MP3 player!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #959 on: 09 July, 2011, 06:51:30 pm »
A nice green Foffa a week or two ago, surprisingly enough it was ridden by someone who knew me and had ridden back from the L2B a few years ago.

An orange Azub recumbent along Camberwell New Road today.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

AndyK

« Reply #960 on: 09 July, 2011, 07:25:15 pm »
  And the CD was skipping dreadfully. 

In a world of MP3 players, why would anyone still be using CDs in a mobile setting?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #961 on: 09 July, 2011, 09:43:14 pm »
Why would anyone be using crappy car speakers & pushing them too hard?  Why would they leave it blasting out the music outside while they went inside for fifteen minutes?  And why don't they have better taste in music?

The answer to some mysteries will never be revealed.
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #962 on: 09 July, 2011, 10:00:12 pm »
Be fair.  Not quite everyone has a computer and knows how to get MP3s.  Even CDs are a bit too new-fangled for some.

From SALTED MACKEREL - Part 5
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #963 on: 10 July, 2011, 03:49:51 pm »
A week ago yesterday on the A487 a mile or so east of Maentwrog (on our way to Lleyn Peninsula for week's walking):

1st thought: Bike ahead
2nd thought: It's wobbling about the vertical axis strangely
3rd thought: He's a bit high up
4th thought: He's on a 36" wheel unicycle!!

« Reply #964 on: 10 July, 2011, 08:08:46 pm »
 And the CD was skipping dreadfully.  

In a world of MP3 players, why would anyone still be using CDs in a mobile setting?
To save money & effort & get better sound quality? Not in this particular case, but consider me & Mrs B: our car came with a CD player. It works. We have lots of CDs.

Back to the topic: a decent-looking & appropriately spotless MTB, black with a red & white badge incorporating the Swiss flag, of a brand I'd never heard of, & apparently sold by a shop in Luzern. Locked up outside Thornton's (for the moment - not shut yet) in Reading.

I'd never seen a Swiss MTB before.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #965 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:03:37 pm »
I saw an ATBish bike in Brighton, but it didn't look quite right.

On closer inspection, I saw that the frame was an Allin - a lightweight made in Croydon.
Getting there...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #966 on: 12 July, 2011, 06:05:01 am »
Beatrix has nothing to fear from this device.  And the owner's taste in music is nowhere near as good as our Valiant's ;D

Beatrix doesn't have much to fear from anyone :smug: Need to stop consulting with people on their mobile rigs and get a move on with mine.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #967 on: 13 July, 2011, 10:51:33 am »
Last night, by the former Ram Brewery in Wandsworth, I saw a more mature chap on a red Pinarello fixed.  Nice looking machine.

He was interested in my 'One Less Car' sticker.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #968 on: 13 July, 2011, 03:20:38 pm »
Sadly boab is no longer of this parish, so the entertainment value may be lost, but:

While negotiating the lifts at Mordor Central at the weekend, another cyclist wheeled his not-entirely-dissimilar-looking bike in.  Well-travelled rigid mountain bike (I couldn't see a name), semi-slick road tyres, butterfly bars, front and rear Ortlieb-alike panniers.  As he turned round I noticed he had a small rucksack ...with a German flag sewn onto it.   :facepalm:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #969 on: 13 July, 2011, 05:36:27 pm »
*sniggers at Kim*

Yesterday, on my way to the station for the Pubbe run, a very cheerful chap on a Bakfiets with two cute childdlers in it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #970 on: 14 July, 2011, 11:02:35 am »
Last night, by the former Ram Brewery in Wandsworth, I saw a more mature chap on a red Pinarello fixed.  Nice looking machine.

Shouldn't that be "One Fewer Car ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #971 on: 14 July, 2011, 11:07:31 am »
Well, yes, I did mention that it didn't reach my normal grammatical standards, and he giggled.
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #972 on: 14 July, 2011, 11:23:20 am »
I'm proud to have a "One Less Car" sticker as well.  "One Fewer" sounds wrong, therefore it is wrong :P

Two fewer cars.  One less car.  Special case for one.  Because I say so.   :thumbsup: :smug: :D
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #973 on: 14 July, 2011, 11:28:37 am »
I have it because, in my case, it is true.  Although it took me six months to sell the car after buying that bike, it did happen. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #974 on: 14 July, 2011, 08:28:20 pm »

Shouldn't that be "One Fewer Car ;D

One car fewer.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]