Author Topic: Booking a table at Rick Stein's resto in Padstow  (Read 7458 times)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Booking a table at Rick Stein's resto in Padstow
« on: 16 May, 2009, 07:34:06 pm »
Mrs. Seine phoned up tonight to book at table for dinner in....... August! And was told sorry no table until 10pm! "You do realise bookings begin on the 1st January Madam".

So we've had to make do with a booking for lunch.

Don't worry we are holidaying on Dartmoor so I'll ride off any excess eating up and down them hills.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Booking a table at Rick Stein's resto in Padstow
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2009, 07:35:33 pm »
I thought he practically owned Cornwall and had many restaurants?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2009, 07:37:54 pm »
I think there are 4 in Padstow alone, but this is like '"the one"

« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2009, 07:53:19 pm »
There's a cracking pasty shop by the harbour.  Get a decent pasty and a couple of tinnies and watch the world go by with the trippers and the seagulls.    8)

Reservations not required.   :D   

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2009, 08:01:57 pm »
I went there twice in two days about a month ago.  The food is very good, but not exceptional.  The prices are however, it is way way way overpriced... you can eat in a three star michelin place for less. 

On the second visit I got food-poisoning.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2009, 08:04:43 pm »
Food poisoning is the reason I rarely eat fish.

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2009, 08:07:16 pm »
Food poisoning is the reason I rarely eat fish.

Who mentioned fish?  He probably ate Chalky.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2009, 08:11:16 pm »
I assume if you go to Rick Stein's in Padstow and order something non-fishy, it's like that mate who goes for a curry with you and always, unfailingly, orders chicken and chips.

« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:13:10 am »
You'll not get food poisoning from fish in a restaurant like that, the turnover is too fast for anything to go off.

It was the raw oysters...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:14:16 am »
I went there twice in two days about a month ago.  The food is good, but not exceptional . The prices are however, it is way way way overpriced... you can eat in a three star michelin place for less.

Yeah, has been living on reputation for a good few years now, as far as I can gather. There are better restaurants in that part of the world. Also bear in mind that Rick Stein himself never actually cooks there - so it's really no more "the one" than any other of his establishments.

Best bet in Padstow is probably No.6 - not strictly a seafood restaurant but you will get excellent seafood there.

If you're down Fowey way, Nathan Outlaw is the place to go for dinner.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:21:43 am »
I hated Padstow.... after I'd seen the third fudge shop and the eighth art gallery selling cliched paintings of the harbour. On top of that you couldn't move in the streets for people.  I say people, the place was full of obese brummies blocking the pavements wobbling around like giant farting skittles.

Stein has about 14 establishments in Padstow.  He's even spreading into the outlying villages now.  Not bad for a man who spends most of the year in Australia.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:35:00 am »
Rick Strine.
It is simpler than it looks.

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #12 on: 17 May, 2009, 10:00:45 am »
How did I know this would turn into a slag off Rick Stein fest!  :-\

Never mind, I've always wanted to go, because well I like his TV programmes. I'll report back when I've been.

« Reply #13 on: 17 May, 2009, 10:13:41 am »
My parents went, and loved it - I'm sure you'll have a good time!

rogerzilla

« Reply #14 on: 17 May, 2009, 10:16:34 am »
I hated Padstow.... after I'd seen the third fudge shop and the eighth art gallery selling cliched paintings of the harbour. On top of that you couldn't move in the streets for people.  I say people, the place was full of obese brummies blocking the pavements wobbling around like giant farting skittles.

Stein has about 14 establishments in Padstow.  He's even spreading into the outlying villages now.  Not bad for a man who spends most of the year in Australia.

Newquay, on the other hand, had three Fat Willy's Surf Shacks the last time I went there.  They only seemed to sell T-shirts with "Fat Willy's Surf Shack" on them.

The one in East Looe closed and re-opened as Ozzie Jon's Cobber Clobber, which was pretty much the same thing, but with more kangaroo.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2009, 11:36:51 am »

Never mind, I've always wanted to go, because well I like his TV programmes. I'll report back when I've been.

Hope you enjoy it - really I do. The restaurant is still supposed to be pretty good - by any standards - but bear in mind that you'll be paying a premium for his name. And considering that he won't be anywhere near the kitchen when you visit, you might wonder what it is that you're paying for.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #16 on: 17 May, 2009, 01:43:00 pm »

Hope you enjoy it - really I do. The restaurant is still supposed to be pretty good - by any standards - but bear in mind that you'll be paying a premium for his name. And considering that he won't be anywhere near the kitchen when you visit, you might wonder what it is that you're paying for.

d.

And there I was wondering why it says Cervélo on my bike and all the other "premium" brands we seem to end up buying!

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #17 on: 17 May, 2009, 01:43:19 pm »
My parents went, and loved it - I'm sure you'll have a good time!

Thanks Ariadne.

« Reply #18 on: 17 May, 2009, 01:47:08 pm »
we had a great lunch there when we went out of season a couple of years ago, but it was blown away by the dinner we had in 'number six', also in Padstow. The really good restaurant (according to my cousins who live in Wadebridge) we couldnt get into - Margots bistro. Worth a try!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19 on: 17 May, 2009, 01:48:38 pm »
Can you get pasta and pesto in Padstow, or is pasty more popular?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

RainOrShine

« Reply #20 on: 18 May, 2009, 12:38:52 pm »
We had some fish and chips at his chippy... very good as you might expect, if expensive.  Favourite meal on the Cornish holiday was breakfast at Fifteen at Watergate Bay.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #21 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:56:06 pm »
We went there 12 years ago and it was very pleasant. I have to say though that the restaurant at St Petroc's (sp?) House where we stayed offered more variety and much much better vfm.

+1 for the pasty shop though :thumbsup:.
Pen Pusher

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #22 on: 04 September, 2009, 02:57:18 pm »
Thought I would finish this thread now that we have eaten at Rick Stein's. We were in for lunch and each had the £35 3 course lunch menu, plus there was a kids menu for my 9 year old.

Overall the food was excellent, very good though not spectacular in either presentation or taste. Nothing bad, just very good quality and very enjoyable. The service was impeccable, one waitress probably serving 4 or 5 tables, so we had excellent attention to everything, and finally the ambience was also just right for me, not flashy or posey, but very smart, quite relaxed and I who hates posh places didn't feel at all out of place.

I would definitely go again, because it's one of the best dining experience I have had, even though I'd only give the food say 8 out of 10.

« Reply #23 on: 04 September, 2009, 03:18:58 pm »
Don't speak too soon.  Sometimes there is a delayed reaction.... but sooner or later you'll barf it all up  ;)

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #24 on: 04 September, 2009, 07:13:25 pm »
Don't speak too soon.  Sometimes there is a delayed reaction.... but sooner or later you'll barf it all up  ;)

It was two weeks ago now.