Author Topic: Camping Porridge  (Read 7650 times)

Camping Porridge
« on: 17 June, 2009, 04:32:34 pm »
In the past for camping, I've often just taken a few Weetabix (or their cheaper supermarket equivalent) and eaten them for breakfast with milk.  Talking to people, it has been suggested that you can make up porridge mixtures with dried milk and various type of dried fruit, and just add water.  I do prefer milk in my porridge, so this sounds like a better idea than just using water added to the oats alone.

Hunting around, I haven't managed to find much in the way of recipes for this, so I was wondering what ratios of ingredients people use.  I'll probably do some experimentation anyway, but I was hoping to minimise the number of disasters!

The recipe I've seen had:

50g Porridge Oats
25g Sultanas
10g Dried Fruit
1 teaspoon milk powder
11/2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Camping Porridge
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2009, 04:34:45 pm »
My experience with porridge on camp ws that I spent longer cleaning the pan than I did cooking & eating the stuff :(
Getting there...

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2009, 04:39:24 pm »
I've always try to buy a pint of milk anyway, but I do pre-mix 125ml porridge, a small handful of dried fruit and a teaspoon of brown sugar to cook up when camping.

Use wide mouth freezer/zip loc bags and you can pour the water/hot milk straight in the bag and leave to soak, if you support the bag in a bowl or pot first - less washing up.

bikenerd

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2009, 04:39:57 pm »
We call it Magic Porridge!  We just add powdered milk, oats and sugar in a bag and take that.  I can't remember the exact ratios, though, it probably varies each time we go camping.
We also make Magic Hot Chocolate with cocoa, powdered milk and sugar in a bag, again.  Very good for a cold night in a tent.

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2009, 04:44:55 pm »
My staple while tramping in New Zealand was apricot porridge. Cook up some oats in the Trangia with water, sprinkle in some milk powder, when it's done throw in a load of chopped dried apricots, then drizzle Manuka honey over the top. Gives you power. And gas. 

« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2009, 07:50:57 pm »
You've got it wrong! Cereal bars to keep you going, then stop at a greasy spoon to paper the corners :thumbsup:.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2009, 10:30:15 pm »
Horlicks porridge is truly excellent!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2009, 10:38:49 pm »
I tried some ratios yesterday evening, and this morning, and worked out that with my cheap Argos kitchen scales at home, I can't measure stuff out as accurately as the digital scales that I used at work, and that we normally use for weighing spacecraft components on. :-\

I'll have to give it another go tomorrow, and measure everything out by volume instead of weight (ie teaspoons, tablespoons etc).  I should just about have worked out a usable ratio by Saturday, in time to poison everyone on the WARTY. ;D

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2009, 10:53:22 pm »
Campag porridge ???

I didn't know they......

IGMC.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2009, 12:04:55 am »
I don't see what the problem is.

Camping porridge  = oats + water + sugar.

Anything else is a luxury :)

« Reply #10 on: 19 June, 2009, 10:46:25 pm »
I reckon the ratio is about 3 tablespoons oats, 2 tablespoons powdered milk, 1 tablespoon mixed fruit, 1 dessertspoon sugar, and 200ml water.

This produces a fairly runny porridge, but I prefer it not too thick.  Less water should make it thicker.