Author Topic: Eating wild stuff  (Read 7336 times)

Re: Eating wild stuff
« Reply #50 on: 07 January, 2010, 06:59:24 pm »
...hunting with cats is no better than hunting with dogs.

Hunting with cats! By jove you have it - see the other thread on slingshots and urban foxes.

Ealing Bicycle Fox Hunt I say, complete with pack of cats.

« Reply #51 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:07:14 pm »
I only fancied a bit of garden nom up and it comes to this?!!

I bet if you posted that you celebrated buying a KFC Bargain Bucket, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Food should be celebrated, enjoyed and apreciated.
I think it's better that people go out for their own food and learn to apreciate it more, instead of going to the shop and having someone do the dirty work for you. It's taken too much for granted.
It wouldn't be offensive it was someone showing off their gardening skills and growing a cabbage. Unless you are against killing cabbage eating caterpillars and other insects that may have been sacrificed for wantof that perfect cabbage.
But if you kill one mammal for your tea...

I think that Mal is thinking more of the killing of an animal, whereas I am thinking of the delicious food.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #52 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:08:01 pm »

I've never eaten a Garden Nom.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #53 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:12:26 pm »

I've never eaten a Garden Nom.

The fishing rod makes a good toothpick afterwards.

« Reply #54 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:15:05 pm »
Blimey. I've been busy at work and this kicks off.

On fact that seems to have been missed in all this: the main reason I trap grey squirrels (and then am obliged to kill them because it's illegal to release them yadda yadda yadda) is because if I don't, I get absolutely no homegrown fruit or veg.

Once the vermin has been humanely dispatched, it is then either fed to the ferts, or butchered for human consumption. Calling it "people slaughtering animals for giggles and jinks, and posting it on the web to impress and amuse" is utterly incorrect.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

border-rider

« Reply #55 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:27:18 pm »
Snide third-grade "oh how nice for you" comments aside,

It was neither snide nor third grade - just observing that YMMV.  

I wasn't anyway expecting either you or Charlotte to agree with me so there was really little else to say to your comment.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #56 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:32:06 pm »
Why isn't it analogous?  Pancho and many others see little wrong with doing something which comes quite naturally to humans and taking care to do it well.

When I cut my toenails, I like to make a good job of it.  But the way in which I do it may nausiate some people.

I can confirm this.

Toenails.  *shudder*

border-rider

« Reply #57 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:34:08 pm »
Why isn't it analogous?  

Because the way you cut your nails doesn't involve killing animals with enjoyment.  It used to be perfectly legal to hunt foxes as a jolly sport, and I'd argue against that too for similar reasons.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #58 on: 07 January, 2010, 07:35:39 pm »

Hunting with cats! By jove you have it - see the other thread on slingshots and urban foxes.

I haven't followed the hunt for years but on Boxing Day saw the legal workround - a Golden Eagle. Apparently not banned. Utterly amazingly cool but I have my doubts about it's practicality. I'll report back when I see it in action.

A (bike) mounted hunt with an eagle?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: 07 January, 2010, 08:24:08 pm »

I salute your utter, utter genius  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #60 on: 07 January, 2010, 09:45:40 pm »
Blimey. I've been busy at work and this kicks off.

On fact that seems to have been missed in all this: the main reason I trap grey squirrels (and then am obliged to kill them because it's illegal to release them yadda yadda yadda) is because if I don't, I get absolutely no homegrown fruit or veg.

Once the vermin has been humanely dispatched, it is then either fed to the ferts, or butchered for human consumption. Calling it "people slaughtering animals for giggles and jinks, and posting it on the web to impress and amuse" is utterly incorrect.

"the vermin" is I think the key thing here. 

Grey squirrels are vermin, non-native, and a pest.

Out of interest, if the word squirrel had been substituted with "rat" would this have kicked off?   There's a whole industry of pest controllers out there.  I've used rat traps before to dispatch rats in the back garden.  Is getting rid of a rat "enjoyment" or a necessity?  I see no difference between Kathy dispatching vermin from her garden and an official pest controller being employed.

border-rider

« Reply #61 on: 07 January, 2010, 09:49:41 pm »
Kicked off ?

No idea.  Best ask the kickers.

If you're asking if I'd have posted similarly had it been a rat and all other details were similar - yes.

It's really not a matter of anthropomorphising Mr Fluffytrousers.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #62 on: 07 January, 2010, 11:22:08 pm »
Don't forget also that the zombunny incident was at a gore-n-zombies themed, beer and fun-blood drenched event, so the jinks were already high.

The internet: letting things get out of context since 1992...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

border-rider

« Reply #63 on: 07 January, 2010, 11:24:09 pm »
Don't forget also that the zombunny incident was at a gore-n-zombies themed, beer and fun-blood drenched event, so the jinks were already high

I know the context of the bunny, and its relevance to the debate.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #64 on: 08 January, 2010, 09:20:41 am »
Despite Andy's best culinary efforts, it was a bit tough :sick:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk