Author Topic: Food related pronunciation question  (Read 7579 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Food related pronunciation question
« on: 19 July, 2011, 09:30:28 am »
How on earth do I pronounce 'chipotle' correctly?

The side of the bottle says chi-pot-lay but I can't help feeling that it can't be correct.

Halp! :-\
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Food related pronunciation question
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2011, 10:12:09 am »
That's how the restaurant chain of the same name in America is pronounced

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2011, 12:24:02 pm »
CHiˈpōtlā
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2011, 12:34:42 pm »
Think there's more than one pronunciation.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chipotle?show=0&t=1311075056

A line over the top of a vowel means that it's long.

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2011, 05:52:01 pm »
Think there's more than one pronunciation.

And Messrs Ligget and Sherwen used them all during 2007-8 when talking about Team Slipstream powered by Chipotle/Garmin-Chipotle Presented by H3O. ;D

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2011, 11:04:14 pm »
I've always said chip-POTtle.  I suspect I've got this wrong.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2011, 07:46:35 am »
Chip-ottle. *is northern*
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2011, 10:13:50 am »
Talking of which, I hate the way poncy people pronounce "cava" as "carver", thinking it's in some way authentic. It ain't anywhere near.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jacomus

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »
Thanks everyone.

Saying Chi-pot-lay feels like nails onna chalkboard to me, and nobody has ever told me off for saying chi-pottle so I shall be blending the two methinks.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2011, 12:38:35 pm »
it's not pot but closer to poat as in oat

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2011, 12:46:39 pm »
Talking of which, I hate the way poncy people pronounce "cava" as "carver", thinking it's in some way authentic. It ain't anywhere near.

Is it not pronounced car-va then? Do tell. Waaaaayyyy down south.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

iakobski

« Reply #11 on: 20 July, 2011, 12:50:24 pm »
"Choritt-so"

No, it's not Italian.  ::-) If you don't know where it comes from, just pronounce it as if it were English.

So g'wan then, how do non-poncy people pronounce it? Or are you saying poncy = Southerner?

« Reply #12 on: 20 July, 2011, 12:55:03 pm »

« Reply #13 on: 20 July, 2011, 01:26:36 pm »
Bloody quote thing's not working for me!

Anyway, many poncy/pretentious/ignorant folk round here (Warwick) say "carver", just as they say "par-sta". However, they are likely to have picked that up from TV, which, let's face it, is dominated by yer savverners, innit? Which raises the point of how does a name like that get corrupted? Who is it that decides that a product's name should be pronounced?

I watched Coast the other night about Sweden and winced at some of the pronunciation of the Swedish names. One bloke even said it (Vasa) totally wrong when he was talking to a Swede who was saying it correctly. Seeing as it was the theme of the interview, it was a bit obvious and stupid. Strangely enough, to me anyway, this one should be pronounced with a long, "poncy" "car" first "a". And yes, I should get out more!

It's "ca-va" with two short "a" sounds, as in "cab". And before anyone corrects me in saying that the "v" sound should be a "b", it's not, as cava is a Catalonian wine, not Spanish (& definitely not Portuguese!). There are also parts of Catalonia where the second "a" can sound like an "e" (as in egg), but in most places it's two "a" sounds. But "car-ver"; definitely not.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #14 on: 20 July, 2011, 08:12:55 pm »
And people who pronounce Ibiza as Eyebeetha should be strung up.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #15 on: 20 July, 2011, 08:15:56 pm »

Does that include Americans?  They can't help it.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #16 on: 21 July, 2011, 07:32:21 am »

It's "ca-va" with two short "a" sounds, as in "cab". And before anyone corrects me in saying that the "v" sound should be a "b", it's not, as cava is a Catalonian wine, not Spanish (& definitely not Portuguese!). There are also parts of Catalonia where the second "a" can sound like an "e" (as in egg), but in most places it's two "a" sounds. But "car-ver"; definitely not.

Cava is not a Catalan* wine, although the Catalans will try to suggest that it is.  It has been made in various parts of Spain for ages and the Basques also argue they were the first to produce sparkling wine, as do some Castillians, and producers from Navarra....

As for the pronunciation of cava - thare is no definitive pronunciation as such, as it will depend on where the speaker is from in Spain as to how it is pronounced. 

*BTW - it's 'Catalan' not 'Catalonian'
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #17 on: 21 July, 2011, 09:30:22 am »
Whatever, it still ain't pronounced "car-ver"...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 21 July, 2011, 12:16:32 pm »
How you pronounce these words depends on whether you consider them to be English or foreign, be that Catalan, Italian or Uzbek. Cava is probably sufficiently well know now to be pronounced in an English way, but chipotle is not. Anglicisation can take two forms; either we adopt an approximation of the pronunciation in the source language, or we say it as if were an English word. Cafe is an example of the first, accepted without the accent but know not to rhyme with cake. An example of the second could be lager, with it's anglophone schwa at the end.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jacomus

« Reply #19 on: 21 July, 2011, 12:32:50 pm »

Indeed, it's correct pronunciation is Eye-beef-uh, inni' :P

« Reply #20 on: 21 July, 2011, 02:24:23 pm »
Even I'm flagging on this one...

I suppose I just dislike the effete pronunciation of words like "cava" & "pasta". That kinda pisses me off, but my blood pressure isn't too badly affected. I would love to see one of those using "car-ver" with a very long first vowel trying to order the stuff in Catalonia. They would remain thirsty, I suspect. They are the ones who are probably so proud of their authentic use of "Sauvignon Blanc".

On another note, I suspect the usual British pronunciation of "Campagnolo" is actually wrong. Shouldn't the "gn" sound like the same letters in "lasagne"?

Anyway, my pedantry has run its course, so (a)asta Luego! And yes, arch-pedant, I know that's Spanish.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #21 on: 21 July, 2011, 02:42:41 pm »
On another note, I suspect the usual British pronunciation of "Campagnolo" is actually wrong. Shouldn't the "gn" sound like the same letters in "lasagne"?

Yes, that's correct.  But that's too tricky to say and type, so we abbreviate it to Campag, with a nice hard gee on the end.  :)

robbo6

« Reply #22 on: 21 July, 2011, 09:55:35 pm »
... They are the ones who are probably so proud of their authentic use of "Sauvignon Blanc"...

Oh sir! SIR!! I know that one! It's savo.
 Although I can't pronounce the name of my own house yet, according to Mme. BB.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 21 July, 2011, 11:15:47 pm »

Yes, that's correct.  But that's too tricky to say and type, so we abbreviate it to Campag, with a nice hard gee on the end.  :)
I doubt if most people pronounce Shimano in a "correct" Japanese way, either, though I'm not going to hazard a guess as to what that should be. And as for Stronglight, a French company with an English name, how on earth would you get that "right"?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24 on: 22 July, 2011, 12:38:40 am »
How would you pronounce Red Bull, it's a Thai drink, manufactured and owned by Austrians.