Author Topic: McDonalds discontinue Smarties McFlurries  (Read 8963 times)

McDonalds discontinue Smarties McFlurries
« on: 16 October, 2015, 08:46:11 pm »
Where will it all end?   :'(
What's this bottom line for anyway?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: McDonalds discontinue Smarties McFlurries
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2015, 11:31:09 pm »
I've just seen an advert for wraps. They aren't burgers. Or even sandwiches.
It is simpler than it looks.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2015, 09:12:14 pm »
They have a halloumi mcmuffin on the brekkie menu in Cyprus!

« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2015, 09:16:20 pm »
I wonder how many people brought up on McDonalds have never learnt to handle a knife and fork.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2015, 09:28:36 pm »
I wonder how many people brought up on McDonalds have never learnt to handle a knife and fork.

Don't know but friends' toddler was seen to be 'behind' at nursery for not using knife and fork.
At 2½...

ian

« Reply #5 on: 17 October, 2015, 09:37:09 pm »
Fortunately, the only restaurant I visited in my first eighteen years of life was Wimpy, so I always ate my burgers with a knife and fork.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2015, 09:40:11 pm »
Tesco have discontinued their Ecuadorian dark chocolate cookies.  >:( :'( >:(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #7 on: 19 October, 2015, 11:29:17 am »
Crunchie McFlurry is the best. Is the smartie a 99p option too?

« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2015, 09:02:33 pm »
It used to be,  >:( , Crunchie is acceptable but not as good. YMMV.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

ian

« Reply #9 on: 20 October, 2015, 08:43:39 am »
I've never eaten a McFlurry. Am I missing anything?

« Reply #10 on: 20 October, 2015, 09:58:02 am »
Yes.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #11 on: 08 November, 2015, 03:13:45 am »

Not really.  I kinda wish McDonald's would discontinue serving anything at all and be done with it. I visited one after a 5 year absence because I wanted something to eat at 6am on the road, and soon remembered why I hadn't been there for so long.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 08 November, 2015, 01:56:37 pm »

Not really.  I kinda wish McDonald's would discontinue serving anything at all and be done with it. I visited one after a 5 year absence because I wanted something to eat at 6am on the road, and soon remembered why I hadn't been there for so long.

Most of the local McDonalds have closed in this section of suburbia. There are two outlets within 5 miles where there were 6 or so a few years ago.
Many of my neighbours would agree with you, it seems.
(There again, who sells beefburgers to a population of Jews, Muslims and Hindus?)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 08 November, 2015, 02:09:39 pm »

In my never-ending thirst for knowledge I applied my Google-fu and thus learned that a McFlurry is an ice cream.  Also it's Canadian.  As Emperor of Ice Cream I am not sure I approve of this rebranding exercise perpetrated by The Scottish Restaurant, but I suppose "McIceMcCream" would be a bit of a mouthful ha ha.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #14 on: 08 November, 2015, 06:13:16 pm »
I have been corrected. I did once have a McFlurry, and it was in Canada. I'd been traumatised by an inadvertent sighting of large numbers of naked people and thus needed an ice cream to cleanse my mind (yeah, just don't clamber down to the beach below the Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver, leastways not unless you're anticipating what looks like a retirement home day out to a nudist beach). It was the only ice cream available (somewhere on the UBC campus). I can't remember what it had in it. Or much other about it.

contango

« Reply #15 on: 08 November, 2015, 11:28:46 pm »

Most of the local McDonalds have closed in this section of suburbia. There are two outlets within 5 miles where there were 6 or so a few years ago.
(There again, who sells beefburgers to a population of Jews, Muslims and Hindus?)

I'd have thought a Muslim might eat a burger if the meat was halal.

A Jew probably wouldn't because of the whole kosher issue (IIRC you know more about this than I do)

A Hindu obviously wouldn't be eating beef anything.

Honestly, if I never set foot in a McDonalds for the rest of my life I'll be just fine with that. I'm already in a place where I'd rather be hungry than eat what passes for food there.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 08 November, 2015, 11:33:04 pm »

A Jew probably wouldn't because of the whole kosher issue (IIRC you know more about this than I do)

Honestly, if I never set foot in a McDonalds for the rest of my life I'll be just fine with that. I'm already in a place where I'd rather be hungry than eat what passes for food there.

McDonalds beef is not Halal, unlike other burger joints round here.
Chicken shops seem popular - many seem to be Halal.

Hampstead lost its McDonalds; methinks the chatterati had taste/vegetarian tendencies/better places to go.

contango

« Reply #17 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:09:24 am »

McDonalds beef is not Halal, unlike other burger joints round here.
Chicken shops seem popular - many seem to be Halal.

Hampstead lost its McDonalds; methinks the chatterati had taste/vegetarian tendencies/better places to go.

I'm not sure whether to be surprised McDonalds didn't offer halal meat to cater to the large Muslim populations in some areas, or not surprised that some corporate wag in a grey suit somewhere insisted it all had to be identical.

In my part of London there were several places offering halal meat, ranging from butchers to fried chicken places to kebab joints and the like.

I'm sure the folks in Hampstead wouldn't have to look too far to find something better than McDonalds. Personally I think I'd eat roadkill before I ventured into a McDonalds again.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:59:00 am »
Some Micky D outlets in USAnia do sell halal Product, but none in BRITAIN currently do.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 09 November, 2015, 02:26:40 pm »
According to Wikipedia, there are 50 Kosher branches of McD's in Israel (no cheeseburgers, closed on Sabbath) and many more that are not Kosher.
I don't suppose the Kosher branches would sell McFlurries (or any other dairy product) with their deadcattleburgers.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #20 on: 09 November, 2015, 02:43:13 pm »

Emulsified aerated deep-chilled vegetable fat with sweets in it. What's not to like?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #21 on: 09 November, 2015, 03:38:11 pm »
VANILLA REDUCED FAT ICE CREAM. Ingredients: Milk, Sugar, Cream, Nonfat Milk Solids, Corn Syrup Solids, Mono- and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Artificial Vanilla Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Disodium Phosphate, Cellulose Gum, Vitamin A Palmitate.

It tastes fantastic. My biggest problem is that you always get some of the McFlurry on the spoon, meaning sticky fingers later on.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #22 on: 09 November, 2015, 04:06:46 pm »
Milk, Sugar, Cream, Nonfat Milk Solids

Well, there you go. Actual proper dairy content. I had assumed it was basically the same stuff as Mr Whippy but I stand corrected.

I'm sure I've had one at some point in my life but they're not really my kind of thing - too sweet for my tastes. I'm not averse to the occasional McDonald's cheeseburger though, even if I always find the experience disappointing.

I'd rather I felt the same way about McD's as helly but I have no self-discipline when I'm hungry. Or when I'm not hungry.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #23 on: 09 November, 2015, 07:15:36 pm »
Some Micky D outlets in USAnia do sell halal Product, but none in BRITAIN currently do.
.... and in other parts of the known world ....

« Reply #24 on: 09 November, 2015, 08:36:53 pm »
Milk, Sugar, Cream, Nonfat Milk Solids

Well, there you go. Actual proper dairy content. I had assumed it was basically the same stuff as Mr Whippy but I stand corrected.

It probably IS the same stuff as used by Mr. Whippy. Basically concentrated milk , with added sugar and preservatives,manufactured off site in an industrial creamery,delivered in cartons or 5 litre cans, loaded into fancy refridgerator  and then just super cooled as it is dispensed through the McFlurry machine. You don't think that McD's actually prepare anything fresh on site do you?