Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 390994 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1300 on: 13 December, 2019, 07:23:43 pm »
Sounds like a bike orienteering (score) event rather than an audax.  It isn't a race and doesn't have a course just a time limit.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #1301 on: 13 December, 2019, 07:25:59 pm »
As a previous (fair while ago thobut) audaxer, I'm just wondering if this is an actual audax? It's being advertised as one, but invites teams to apply and to complete the course within a specified time in a rather race-like fashion, which is not how I remember things. https://www.facebook.com/cafeporteur/videos/480249432827059/
to be fair they aren't necessarily advertising it as an audax - it is a legitimate use of a hashtag to market material that would be of interest to followers of the #audax hashtag e.g. a new model of bike geared towards long distance cycling.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #1302 on: 13 December, 2019, 07:57:25 pm »
It looks like more than just a hashtag  -  the header on the entry form describes the event as 'THE SOCIAL AUDAX SERIES'.

As mentioned previously - the format sounds very similar to the MTB Orienteering events that I compete in and sometimes help to organise.  They are great fun but definitely not audax.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #1303 on: 13 December, 2019, 08:08:28 pm »
Yeah fair that is a bit ew. I am very leery of the Audax concept being leveraged for marketing purposes in that way.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1304 on: 14 December, 2019, 07:41:24 am »
Things are getting weird!
Near me there is a club doing a nice social ride (²years now), but calling it a Reliability Ride. They clearly have no idea what one is,but heard they were fun!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1305 on: 14 December, 2019, 09:30:51 am »
1. Yes.

2. You're meant to send a scan of the returned brevet card, but for the three I've done I didn't get the card back nor did they have online results. They've all been credited eventually though.

(AIUI some countries' organisations only hand cards back at their end of the season reunion rather than posting them)

If one of those is the Dutch 400 you did, we normally return the cards at a future ride. If after a certain period, the card hasn't been returned, it's posted to you.

Our results are online at https://randonneurs.nl/palmares/homologaties-2019/

If you've not got your card back by January, message me and I'll give Ernst a poke.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1306 on: 17 January, 2020, 12:28:08 pm »
The linger awards (brevet 25000 and randonneur 100000) refer to total kms ridden in br and brm events
Does this mean rides short than 200km count?
I assume it doesn't add up all the listed distances  just the event nominal distances, is this correct?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #1307 on: 17 January, 2020, 12:31:57 pm »
The linger awards (brevet 25000 and randonneur 100000) refer to total kms ridden in br and brm events

Rides shorter than 200km can't be BR or BRM. They're BP so they don't count for those awards.

I assume it doesn't add up all the listed distances  just the event nominal distances, is this correct?

Correct, nominal distances.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1308 on: 17 January, 2020, 12:40:45 pm »

Rides shorter than 200km can't be BR or BRM. They're BP so they don't count for those awards.

D'oh

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #1309 on: 17 January, 2020, 01:15:08 pm »
I've just noticed that when I ECE a calendar event, in the results, the AUK ref is sometimes suffixed with an 'E' e.g. CB957099E.  and if I look through the results list for that ride,  you can see who ECE'd it by the 'E' at the end of the ref.

But,  it appears that this isn't the case for every ride I've ECE'd, just some of them.

Why is the 'E' added?  and why isn't it done consistently, i.e. just for some rides?
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #1310 on: 19 January, 2020, 07:06:23 pm »
I believe ECEs are recorded in a similar way to AAA for DIYs in the results, for which there are two methods:
  • Create a separate perm entry on the same date corresponding to the AAA points received (or ECE distance) - you can see these in the list of perms (and their results eg http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2020/listevent/?Ride=ECER01)
  • Once a ride has been validated and allocated a brevet number (eg CB957099), can then edit this directly and allocate the climbing (or ECE distance) to this, which when saved applies an A (or E for ECE) to the brevet number to indicate this has been done
The second method is a bit quicker and neater but can only be used once the ride is validated so if that hasn't happened yet and still want to record, can go with option 1
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #1311 on: 21 September, 2020, 03:21:39 am »
An ACP fleche is eligible as a month's ride for (AUK) RRtY, right?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1312 on: 21 September, 2020, 06:23:59 am »
ACP’s Fleche de France perms aren’t BRM. Their Fleche Velocio does count as BRM in the same way as the Easter Arrow to York and so counts towards AUK’s awards. Which fleche do you mean?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1313 on: 24 September, 2020, 05:16:03 am »
Sorry, yes, it's a BRM Fleche Velocio (the Randonneurs Tokyo one, postponed to October from Easter).

« Reply #1314 on: 24 March, 2021, 06:09:34 pm »
Seem the best place for this, but I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong.

I joined AUK on the 15th. I'm sure I don't need anything other than the membership number (which I already have) yet, but roughly how long does it take for the card etc to arrive? I'm guessing the 'staff' of AUK are entirely volunteers, I'm just curious.

« Reply #1315 on: 24 March, 2021, 06:44:43 pm »
There's no membership card. You'll get a quarterly magazine and that's your lot.

All you need to enter events is your membership number, which hopefully you have.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #1316 on: 24 March, 2021, 07:22:40 pm »
It was possible to download a membership card, and print it yourself. Don't know if that still works.

And is there any point anyway? What are you going to do with the card?

« Reply #1317 on: 24 March, 2021, 07:27:07 pm »
Dunno, stick it in my wallet already over stuffed with coffee reward cards?

I can't say I was expecting a welcome pack, seems against the self supported idea of Audax.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1318 on: 24 March, 2021, 07:46:25 pm »
Hello, you will get a copy of the most recent Arrivee magazine, a letter with useful information and some stickers ( we used to call them mudguard stickers but now they are just bike stickers!). Our enrolments delegates do sterling work posting all these and generally get on the case fairly quickly. Yours may have been slightly delayed as we had to wait for the new magazines to arrive. If you don't get anything by the end of the month mail membership@audax.uk and I will check up for you.
And by the way - welcome!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #1319 on: 24 March, 2021, 07:50:28 pm »
It was possible to download a membership card, and print it yourself. Don't know if that still works.

And is there any point anyway? What are you going to do with the card?
Yes it is still possible, and even enhanced so you can include an uploaded photo. It's available from the "My account" menu.
Is it useful? Currently not really, but it seems sensible to keep the option there, maybe to prove your identity for an over-subscribed covid rules event ;)

« Reply #1320 on: 13 May, 2021, 12:34:30 am »
Are you allowed to super tuck?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1321 on: 13 May, 2021, 06:32:35 am »
Are you allowed to super tuck?
Only if it's too big to put anywhere else.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1322 on: 30 July, 2021, 08:22:04 pm »
This is the lazy way of doing this I suppose, but how (if anything) has audax in the UK changed in the past 2 years or so? I'm returning to England in August and keen to get back on the horse.

« Reply #1323 on: 30 July, 2021, 08:51:18 pm »
My impressions from the perspective of North East England:

- starting to get over the impact of covid, calendar events still have the same camaraderie, although the full experience (catering, village or church hall base) may not yet available

- local organisers making extra efforts to provide a range of events

- DIY an increasingly easy option with use of gpx and mandatory route, the system through the audax website seems to work well and is easy to use
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #1324 on: 30 July, 2021, 09:11:06 pm »
For my events I’m now getting them setup to be approved for the ebrevet app. So your ride can be validated by the ebrevet app on android or iOS.