Author Topic: Brick built garage with the eaves totally open to the elements  (Read 1433 times)

Brick built garage with the eaves totally open to the elements
« on: 15 December, 2019, 07:31:24 pm »
i am probably not explaining this very well.  Our new rectory is gradually taking shape  but the garage presently has me stumped.

The garage is a good single car size with multiple plug sockets and lighting.  The door is old and wooden so needs some work before I will trust my most important possessions in there.

The problem is the roof or more specifically the gap, eaves?, where the roof meets the wall.

The trusses sit directly on top of the brick with open rafters and the wind whistels under the eaves and into the garage.  There is a good overhang so I doubt that rain actually gets in.

There would be no point putting any heating in and working on the bikes in the winter is going to become a nightmare.  Added to which all my tools will become rusty if left in there.

I douby I can get the diocese to do anything.

I can fit new garage doors which will be a start.

Do I then put in a false ceiling of insulating board suspended from the roof trusses? and do the same to the brick walls, essentially creating a room within the garage?  Any other thoughts or advice?

Thank you

Re: Brick built garage with the eaves totally open to the elements
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2019, 07:43:07 pm »
Foil backed Insulation board, Celotex etc fixed to some new joists on proprietary hangers? (if headroom is there). You will need to ensure that the roof ventilation above remains. Dry line the walls with insulation backed plasterboard on adhesive dabs if cash allows. Failing that, fix a nominal 100 x 50mm SC3/4 treated timber collar to the rafters and apply insulation board directly to the underside of the rafters keeping the ventilation at the eaves and above the insulation. You may need to fix counterbattens depending on the thickness of the insulation board and/or the roof/structure detailing. Use proprietary insulation board fixings and insulation tape the joints.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2019, 10:32:06 pm »
Canardly. Thank you. That is what I needed to hear and that so long as I keep the roof space we’ll ventilated all should be well.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2019, 12:43:32 pm »
I'd batten the insulation straight to the underside of the rafters and leave the wind to whistle between the rafters above it and ply the ceiling. You can screw lights and all sorts of hanging stuff straight into it.

« Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2019, 04:19:05 pm »
There used to be an 8/10mm ply with bonded insulation backing available but I cannot remember the trade/brand name.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2019, 04:38:03 pm »
Is the roof bare tile?  Nothing underneath the tile?  Single or Double brick?

« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2019, 05:34:24 pm »
single brick and some felt beneath tiles but nothing else.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #7 on: 18 December, 2019, 01:12:46 am »
there is a way to work around this.  Am drunk so best talk about it when i am sober..so early january?

« Reply #8 on: 18 December, 2019, 01:51:10 pm »
Certainly.  Please feel free to pm if easier

« Reply #9 on: 20 December, 2019, 07:36:46 am »
You might find that the air circulation will mean the inside of the garage is dryer than a properly enclosed one, rather than wetter. That doesn't help with temperature control, of course... :-\
Life is too important to be taken seriously.