Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1601943 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12125 on: 01 June, 2020, 10:44:05 am »
Barky dogs in general, but worse the sort that charge the fence of the property as you walk by. On our regular Sunday perambulations, there's two places that let their dogs roam like this. They can't get through the fence (but you don't know this the first time), but the dogs are going crazy and they're not little dogs, they're giant, slathering hell beasts. As an adult, if you're not expecting them, it's a bit of a shock. But it must be terrifying for little kids.

I'm honestly befuddled why people think shit like that is OK.

Sure, it can make you jump, but it's a dog's duty to defend its pack.  Ours only rarely bark, though, because when they're out so are we and they leave barking to the boss unless other dogs go by.  If a cat comes into the garden they're dead silent, but bloody hell they're fast. The cats always have too good a start, though.

People across the village from us have geese. Now they're surprising.

These are fences by regularly used public footpaths, plenty of families out walking. I think it's unacceptable, unless they really get their kicks from terrifying children. Either restrain or train them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12126 on: 01 June, 2020, 11:04:59 am »
Barky dogs in general, but worse the sort that charge the fence of the property as you walk by. On our regular Sunday perambulations, there's two places that let their dogs roam like this. They can't get through the fence (but you don't know this the first time), but the dogs are going crazy and they're not little dogs, they're giant, slathering hell beasts. As an adult, if you're not expecting them, it's a bit of a shock. But it must be terrifying for little kids.

Sure, it can make you jump, but it's a dog's duty to defend its pack.  Ours only rarely bark, though, because when they're out so are we and they leave barking to the boss unless other dogs go by.  If a cat comes into the garden they're dead silent, but bloody hell they're fast. The cats always have too good a start, though.

People across the village from us have geese. Now they're surprising.

These are fences by regularly used public footpaths, plenty of families out walking. I think it's unacceptable, unless they really get their kicks from terrifying children. Either restrain or train them.

Must be wearing for the owners, too.  They should keep them in unless they're out with them.

There's a 'fierce' dog up in the village that'd scare the life out of you first time you hear it, but quite often it brings a toy for you too and barks round it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Edd

« Reply #12127 on: 01 June, 2020, 05:43:22 pm »
Neighbours been playing their crappy music outside all day while I'm 'WFH'. Must be on bluetooth as now it keeps cutting in an out, don't mind the cutting out bit, why does it have to cut in again??

« Reply #12128 on: 01 June, 2020, 06:26:24 pm »

Out riding in leafy Solihull one day, I rode past a woman walking a dog on a lead on the pavement on the other side of the suburban road. As I neared her the dog went crazy and was straining on its lead trying to get at me. It wasn't a small dog and if she'd been unable to control it, I'm not sure what damage it could have done me, but it wouldn't have been good. How anyone can have a dog like that and not do something about it baffles me. I was no threat to the dog and was a substantial distance away from it and its twatty owner.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12129 on: 04 June, 2020, 02:27:10 pm »
Blarst. Last year's shorts don't fit this year's lockdown gut.  I blame the guvvermint.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12130 on: 08 June, 2020, 06:53:34 pm »
I don't know if you people are aware of the BBC 1 program The Repair Shop.
I was wondering if they would be up for it if I rocked up with my entire house on a trailer.
 :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #12131 on: 08 June, 2020, 07:32:45 pm »

TRS has to be the best programme, ever.  Full stop. 

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12132 on: 08 June, 2020, 08:03:06 pm »

My favourite is the chap with two pairs of spectacles on his head.  He has every tool ever.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12133 on: 09 June, 2020, 08:04:59 am »

My favourite is the chap with two pairs of spectacles on his head.  He has every tool ever.

Don't want to brag - but we went to The Weald & Downland Museum last November and they were on-site filming the prog - all shut off from the museum but as we walked past the barn we did catch sight of Jay, Dom, Will & Steve as they went to the portable office/canteen units for a coffee.

Brilliant programme but perhaps a little too much on the heart-warming stories? - it's what it's about but slightly shorter time on the stories and perhaps one more item in each prog?

The other prog in the same vein is Something for Nothing (that's on in the afternoons) - some amazing up/re-cycling projects.

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12134 on: 09 June, 2020, 01:59:09 pm »
Gotta love the cunning bastards that concocted the French on-line tax return.  On page N you declare whatever salaries, pensions, etc. you've received throughout the previous year, and they've very helpfully filled it in for you with figures supplied by whoever paid you.  If you have any doubts to make known, they've supplied a text box on page N+m wherein you may state them.  Catch-21½:  if to do this you need to refer to your earlier entries and press the "previous" button to refer to them, you get a warning that you'll lose what you typed, and a little note tells you not to paste text into the box because doing so may make the bloody thing hang.

I would like to take the genius who thought that one up out to dinner, and sprinkle his/her/its/their plate with strychnine when nobody's looking.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12135 on: 10 June, 2020, 09:45:06 pm »
Holy shit, freezer bags from Ama3on. Double the price of everywhere else.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12136 on: 11 June, 2020, 08:06:59 am »
Holy shit, freezer bags from Ama3on. Double the price of everywhere else.

Our Aldi carries Albal ones with a double seal and an asymmetric opening, so that you don't have to squint and try to poke a fingernail into the top to pull them apart. Jeez, they've actually been thinking.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #12137 on: 11 June, 2020, 08:51:41 am »
That's useful to know. Mine are the same but from Ikea - 4 bus rides and 3 hr. round trip! I was in Aldi on Tuesday evening and it was sparsely populated. Going in with a neighbour (yes, I know, but we're fairly, er, close...) is about an hour including shopping. Would have preferred Lidl but that car park was more occupied.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12138 on: 11 June, 2020, 06:41:40 pm »
CLANNGGG  SCRRRRRRRAPE

What the blazes is going on out there?

(Sticks gulliver out of window)

Scaffolding going up alongside #2, Larrington Gardens Road.  No peace around here for the next Several of months.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12139 on: 11 June, 2020, 07:05:15 pm »
They were doing that round the corner from here.  Silly Oak is back in business.

I expect the burglar alarm will be going off ...nowish.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12140 on: 11 June, 2020, 07:13:22 pm »
Scaffolding went up next door the weekend of AUK Reunion, mid November last year. Building stopped for Christmas/New Year, then waiting for windows in January, then lockdown. Seemed to resume last week but has stopped again now.

Neighbours have been living across the road but have just called in to say they were burgled last night.

We are waiting for the work to be completed and for their builders to clear their crap from our side passage.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12141 on: 11 June, 2020, 07:25:05 pm »
Outdoor building work didn't seem to stop round here for lockdown.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12142 on: 12 June, 2020, 10:34:06 am »
Fortunately the final act of the rufty-tufty hairy-arsed scaffolders was to hang up a sign with the word "Render*" written on it in large friendly letters so there won't be hordes of hammer-wielding Visigoths disturbing the Queen's Peace, or even mine.

Lockdown didn't prevent the completion of the soundproof Sheds at Schloß von Brandenburg, on the grounds that the building materials stored inside the Schloß itself presented a hazard to life and limb every time someone had to open the door for the cat.

* among others

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12143 on: 12 June, 2020, 11:54:37 am »
Render unto Plasterer that which is Plastered.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #12144 on: 12 June, 2020, 11:04:20 pm »
Are you sure it doesn’t say ‘Bender’?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12145 on: 13 June, 2020, 09:36:09 pm »
Lost tools, where do they go?

Large flathead screwdriver
Largish Phillips screwdriver
10mm spanner.

(I reckon that Pingu eats them, but that's between you & me)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

fuzzy

« Reply #12146 on: 13 June, 2020, 10:26:41 pm »

10mm spanner.

Blodwyn Pig has got them-
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=53164.msg1076123#msg1076123

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12147 on: 14 June, 2020, 07:50:21 am »

10mm spanner.

I know where the Inlaw Paw's 25cm steel rule is: I inadvertently boxed it inside a window-frame, 30 years ago.   :-[

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12148 on: 14 June, 2020, 09:00:29 am »

10mm spanner.

Prisoner at the bar; you stand accused of nomming screwdrivers.  How do you plead?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12149 on: 14 June, 2020, 09:03:18 am »

10mm spanner.

I know where the Inlaw Paw's 25cm steel rule is: I inadvertently boxed it inside a window-frame, 30 years ago.   :-[

Do you still have the window frame? Just need to wait for the next refurb
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens