Author Topic: Arthritis  (Read 1446 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Arthritis
« on: 21 April, 2020, 12:57:28 pm »
I‘m getting on a bit in years and despite being in a really happy place in my life, I notice I’m wearing out a bit.

I already have some hearing issues, can’t see well in the dark, have creaky knees after long cycle rides and saggy skin from having lost weight. However I now seem to have a new thing, occasionally painful thumb joint. I have sharp pain for about 5 minutes, often when changing temperature zone.

I assumed this was arthritis but most of the Internet suggests this is in the joint at the base of the thumb. But my pain is in the joint below the fingernail - base of thumb is painless. Could this be something else mysterious then? It happens for about five minutes once per week at the moment, and I wonder if there is anything I can do to help it improve.

As background I am otherwise healthy, but this is my right hand which has to do most of my hand work as my left arm had a colossal prosthesis fitted 26 years ago due to a bone tumour in my elbow.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Re: Arthritis
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2020, 01:45:01 pm »
Could it be something to do with the bike controls/steering Helen?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2020, 01:53:53 pm »
In my 15 or so years of experience of arthritis, it doesn't care which joints it visits. My rheumatoid arthritis doesn't trouble me nearly as much as it used to, and I wonder how much of this is down to the fact that I now very rarely drink cow's milk. I recall the mother of a teaching colleague over 40 years ago telling me that she had completely given up dairy and now her arthritis was much less troubling.

The one development I've had recently is a sharp pain in the top joint of my left thumb every so often when I bend it. I suspect that this might be osteoarthritis, resulting from a very painful jarring of that thumb I experienced in a game of rugby once, also at least 40 years ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2020, 02:18:46 pm »
Could it be something to do with the bike controls/steering Helen?
Hi Canardly, a cunning thought but my thumb does nothing with the tiller steering on my Milan. On my trike i use it for gear shifting but I have ridden my trike about 100km in the last two years.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2020, 04:38:38 pm »
Could be arthritis, could be ligament damage.

I strained (minor) a finger some months back. It is still a bit weak, sore, with sharp pains.

One sad effect of getting older is that we don't heal as quickly (or as well) as a young person.
<i>Marmite slave</i>