Author Topic: TdF has cobbles, Giro has Strada Bianchi, Vuelta has...  (Read 11420 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: TdF has cobbles, Giro has Strada Bianchi, Vuelta has...
« Reply #75 on: 10 September, 2015, 03:08:07 pm »
Pah! You're secretly jealous but unable to admit it young Skywalker!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #76 on: 10 September, 2015, 03:13:51 pm »
<Riggers exits stage left, doing the Can-Can>
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Riggers

« Reply #77 on: 11 September, 2015, 10:44:44 am »
Wasn't yesterday's scenery fantastic!?

« Reply #78 on: 11 September, 2015, 12:27:46 pm »
We made just that comment last night, and it seems that not only has the TV coverage improved vastly over the last few years (I've only watched it since it's been on ITV) but the routes used have become a lot more scenic. I remember some non-mountain days which just seemed to be shots of cyclists riding along through parched brown countryside with very few people watching at the roadside.

Really enjoying this year's race as it is now so tight.

Riggers

« Reply #79 on: 11 September, 2015, 12:53:16 pm »
Xackly! I hope this works. Click on link below which shows some nice footage of stage 18 from a rider's bike:

http://www.steephill.tv/vuelta-a-espana/

Then scroll down stage 18 listings for:

Bikecam: Stage 18 On Bike Highlights (02:32 Ambient Noise) — VelonCC

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #80 on: 12 September, 2015, 08:02:25 pm »
Heartbreak for Tom :'(. However, it has been a brilliant race. As has been the case for the past few years the battle for the GC has been far better than the Tour de France.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #81 on: 12 September, 2015, 08:58:42 pm »
You had to feel for Tom, not only seeing it finally slip from his grasp but having to grind out the latter part of the stage with everyone just sat on him.  I don't understand quite what happened to Team Sky, it seemed that Nieve, like Dumoulin, has had absolutely no support this past week.  Did i miss something?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #82 on: 13 September, 2015, 08:33:13 am »
Possibly the best stage for me was Friday's - the Top10 on GC all attacking. Everyone had something to gain from riding flat-out, and had a chance of moving up on GC.(apart from Tom ... who nevertheless had good reason to ride flat-out!)

A perfect storm. It couldnt last another day, but that's real racing - its not scripted. A cracking race overall, probably the best Vuelta I've seen (i.e. from quite recent ones ! )

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hillbilly

« Reply #83 on: 13 September, 2015, 05:08:29 pm »
Got to feel for Dumoulin.  Yesterday's stage was just one too far.  Great talent though.  I don't imagine it will be too long until The Netherlands get a grand tour winner.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #84 on: 13 September, 2015, 05:52:59 pm »
I nearly put money on Aru about 10 days ago.

This was on the basis that of the big GC contenders, he was the only one who had skipped Le Tour.

I hadnt even considered Dumoulin  :facepalm:
And I didnt put the bet on  :facepalm:  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Riggers

« Reply #85 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:01:43 am »
In the past, The Vuelta hasn't held the same fascination as the TdF, but given the nip-and-tuck close time-gap nature of the race and keeping some mountain stages near the end, I have been enthralled, and just hope it can can continue like this. What a race!

« Reply #86 on: 15 September, 2015, 08:49:33 am »
For all of you out there who have been entertained by La Vuelta, to finally top it off visit the Orica Greenedge website/videos and watch an emotional video of what it means to the people involved.

Riggers

« Reply #87 on: 15 September, 2015, 11:29:30 am »
Thanks Rainers!! What a video (http://www.greenedgecycling.com/backstage-pass/) What a team!! Brilliant. Well done chaps. Awesome stuff.

Riggers

« Reply #88 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:50:27 pm »
Unashamedly, I present stage 4 of LaVuelta 2015, that finished in Vejer de la Frontera. We've spent time there before. A very pretty hill-top town, and I can not say enough, just how steep the initial hill is, that they enter at the start of the video. To cycle as they do, and in that heat, is quite unbelievable. Also, at around 5:20-ish, as they begin to climb Avenida Andalucia, it ramps up again. When you see them cycle it, it looks about 7 percent. Gentlemen, it is not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okGpiPtXJn4