Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 280852 times)

SiL in Westhill has completely lost her garage roof!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
We are within a gnat's crotchet of recording the driest November ever in Essex. My brother tells me that the Essex Water Co record is 13.6mm in 1978. His figure currently stands at 10.8mm, ours at 7.4mm for the month. We live about 15 miles apart.

There is no more rain forecast for November, but at present the Met Office are predicting about 3 hours of rain from midnight on Wednesday 1st December. Since the official cut-off point is 9am the following day, that could easily take us over 13.6mm.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Scenes of devastation

IMG_9226_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr
That's a crime scene. Call the polis to investigate this foul deed or wheelbarrow murder!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Mrs P and I went for a wee walk in the local woods this arvo. There was a lot of this:

IMG_9247_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

And some of this:

IMG_9256_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_9259_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Arwen Aftermath

Not as dramatic as the Pingus, but we spent the weekend in the Welsh Borders.
We were supposed to be performing at the Ludlow Medieval Christmas Fair.
We did manage to find somewhere to sing, but our accommodation was all electric, and the power only came back on at about nine this morning.
Fortunately, the owners of the holiday cottages where we were staying dug out a barbecue and a camping stove for us to borrow, and the port and whisky didn't need cooking anyway.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Beardy

• Shedist
Blue, but is cold this morn. Not surprising given that we are now in Advent, but it is a bit of a shock after it being so mild until now.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
(Checks weather app)

Three* degrees?  Time to find my winter gloves!

* The Nogweegies say “4” but I think they’re trying to lull me into a false sense of security.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

-2 when I got up so I decided the train was the better idea. Given that it was still -2 when I got to work a couple hours later I think I made the right choice
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
I rode my velomobile to work today as the car was so frosty I thought it would take ages to defrost (it's a Smart Cabrio so not exactly well insulated). If it had been raining then the evaluation would have provided a different result!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Hurrah: The computer on the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle said it was 22 degrees.
Bah: That was only after it had been in my pocket for half an hour, whereafter it changed its mind PDQ.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
We are within a gnat's crotchet of recording the driest November ever in Essex. My brother tells me that the Essex Water Co record is 13.6mm in 1978. His figure currently stands at 10.8mm, ours at 7.4mm for the month. We live about 15 miles apart.

There is no more rain forecast for November, but at present the Met Office are predicting about 3 hours of rain from midnight on Wednesday 1st December. Since the official cut-off point is 9am the following day, that could easily take us over 13.6mm.

My weather station recorded a mere 7.8mm for November. My manual rain gauge recorded 9.3mm. My brother in Ramsden Heath recorded 11.9mm. The rain forecast for early this morning failed to materialise, but it's raining here now.

My weather station recorded a mere 7.8mm for November. My manual rain gauge recorded 9.3mm. My brother in Ramsden Heath recorded 11.9mm. The rain forecast for early this morning failed to materialise, but it's raining here now.

7.8mm? :o We got more than that just last night... :(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

7.8mm? :o We got more than that just last night... :(

Yep. http://tickfield.thewalkers.org.uk/weewx/tabular.html?report=NOAA/NOAA-2021-11.txt refers.

Unfortunately, when I bought the weather station 11 years ago, I elevated it to roof level on our single-storey extension. That means that I have to go up a ladder if it needs attention, and every so often, the rain gauge gets blocked. Invariably, this happens on a day of heavy rain, so October's figures were buggered by a dead moth in the hole. But I'm quite confident in that 7.8mm reading. My sister, who lives a couple of hundred yards away, recorded 8mm, and my manual rain gauge, on a post about 3 feet above ground level, recorded 9.3mm. Because of the design of that rain gauge, a heavy dew and condensation can deposit measurable precipitation in the tube, and I understand that Met Office standards dictate that you should add that to your total. Generally, the manual gauge records marginally more than the automatic one, for this reason.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Hurrah: The computer on the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle said it was 22 degrees.
Bah: That was only after it had been in my pocket for half an hour, whereafter it changed its mind PDQ.

Either that or it was set to degrees Frankenstein, rather than degrees SCIENCE.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

It weren’t that cold on Monday.  Well, it probably was in Canada, but Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles isn’t in Canada.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

It weren’t that cold on Monday.  Well, it probably was in Canada, but Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles isn’t in Canada.

You can tell by the Proper Tea and lack of møøseburgers.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

You can buy Proper Tea in Canada* but møøseburgers are definitely in short supply in E4.

*# of horriblemarkets sampled: 1

Beardy

• Shedist

You can buy Proper Tea in Canada* but møøseburgers are definitely in short supply in E4.

*# of horriblemarkets sampled: 1
I’d bet real money that møøseburgers are available somewhere within the wanky ’hood of E1
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
E1 is much too far away to go looking for pøsh burgers as well as lying on the opposite side of the Col de Stoke Newington.

There's probably some organic artisanal butcher up the swanky end of Chingford but I tend not to venture that way too often lest I encounter Iain Drunken Sith and have to murder him utterly to DETH.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
“I do hope that tapping noise on the roof is dancing pigeons and not rain” said M Larrington as he levered his crumbling body out of bed, “because today is the day of my weekly bicycle trip to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles!”

It's rain.  Bah.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
If the flying rats are anything like the dropwire finches in the excretory department, rain is an improvement.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
If the flying rats are anything like the dropwire finches in the excretory department, rain is an improvement.

;D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Lots of justifiable grumbling about the power still not being back on in parts of NE England.  “If we lived next door to Bloody Stupid Johnson this wouldn’t be happening!” said one master of the bleedin' obvious, while peering nervously out of the window for the approaching Storm Bazza Barra.

Ovo Energy sponsors the C4 weather forecast.  “Great BRITISH energy powering Great BRITISH homes”, they crow :facepalm:

Not much sleep last night.

Kept away by the sound of the (concrete) tiles flapping in the wind.

I haven't gone out to look at the damage yet.

[Edit] miraculously, we are unscathed. Very surprised, given the extreme thumping and vibration through the house. Local weather station recorded gusts of 73mph
<i>Marmite slave</i>