Author Topic: Squeezebox! Dunnit.. F**K YEAH!  (Read 26248 times)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Re: Squeezebox! Dunnit.. F**K YEAH!
« Reply #150 on: 20 February, 2011, 03:11:09 pm »
I used to use a QNAP 109, but the interface was too slow. It worked, but it was annoying. That's why I use an old laptop now.

Re: Squeezebox! Dunnit.. YEAH!
« Reply #151 on: 20 February, 2011, 03:33:27 pm »
Interesting subject!
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #152 on: 24 February, 2011, 01:54:56 pm »
My Squeezebox Radio arrived last night. Wish I'd had one years ago. Best £100 I have spent for ages.

It transforms the listening experience into something more than just radio. Having BBC I-Player on Radio 7 is superb and I can finally get Kerrang radio which I have been after for ages. Slightly disappointed that LastFM is now subscription only (since 14th Feb).

The only trouble is I now have too many options and I suspect I'll spend the first week twisting knobs and trying all kinds of stations until I settle down for a bit.

An excellent  example of someone making all the technology stick together and usable.

Owner of a languishing Langster

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #153 on: 24 February, 2011, 02:15:29 pm »
Blatant plug: This old laptop should be suitable for running a Squeezbox if you replace the hard drive or plug in a USB drive.  That is if the network adapter is present and suitable - which I'm not sure about at the moment.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #154 on: 24 February, 2011, 04:42:17 pm »
Good try  ;D

I have an old Dell 600 sitting around at home that could be linuxed and act as a server for the short term. But I think I'd rather get myself a proper NAS eventually.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #155 on: 25 February, 2011, 09:50:21 am »
Update: the machine I mention above doesn't have a network (ethernet) socket, but I think you could use a USB network adapter that you can find cheaply on eBay.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #156 on: 28 February, 2011, 07:53:05 pm »
I like my Duet but find the display very faint in a sunny room at its brightest setting.  Is there a fix?

Anyone have the SB Touch?  Big display on it.

« Reply #157 on: 30 March, 2011, 09:09:11 am »
Just got a Touch.  Nice bit of kit... big display, robust touch screen, straightforward setup.  I like it but not ready to give up my Duet just yet.  Touch needs to be within reach or close enough to see display when working remote.  Across a big room wouldn't be good.  That's where Duet has an advantage.  Touch has a couple of nifty screens like VU readouts and equalization graphic.  It's nice to see album artwork displayed where everyone can see i.e., if you're close enough.

I've been watching prices on Touch for weeks and ebay seller Misco_UK has a great deal at £166 delivered for new units.  I've seen used ones sell for more.  No affiliation just a satisfied customer.

« Reply #158 on: 30 March, 2011, 10:45:59 am »
My bank account is really wishing that I hadn't come across this thread as I'm now the proud owner of a shiny new Squeezebox Boom and love it, fantastic sound quality for such a small box.

As my NAS is woefully underpowered I'm running the Squeezebox Server on an old XP desktop which is set up to wake-on-LAN so I don't have to keep it running permanently.  As long as you can live with the brief pause while the PC comes out of hibernation it works a dream (I could have just set the pc to standby rather than hibernate but for the sake of 30 seconds I'd rather save a few extra watts).

The biggest problem I've found is that I'm now trawling ebay for Squeezebox bargains as I now NEED something to hook up to my amplifier and wouldn't mind at least one more Boom for other rooms in the house :(

« Reply #159 on: 30 March, 2011, 11:26:13 am »
Haven't heard a Boom but read good things.  I run vintage gear so like the SB remote to control volume.  ebay turns up good deals on used SBs - got a Classic for 30£ that I use in a spare room.

No NAS.  I run mine off a surplus laptop hook to 1TB external HD.  Works great.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #160 on: 06 September, 2012, 09:44:19 am »
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Squeezebox-Players/Announcement-Logitech-UE/td-p/880706

Just a heads up for anyone in Squeezebox world - Logitech have discontinued the Squeezebox range and launched the Ultimate Ears range.

As per the posting above, the control of Squeezebox and Ultimate Ears products together is not possible - but it appears that will be a future firmware upgrade to allow ?some/all? Squeezebox products to be upgraded to the Ultimate Ears platform for an integrated control experience.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #161 on: 06 September, 2012, 01:49:31 pm »
Not entirely surprising, I always suspected that it would suffer a bit from a Not Invented Here syndrome with Logitech, and was always a touch on the expensive side, especially the higher end versions (which is reflected in them only keeping the low end, mono Radio product going in a UE version).

Apparently you can "upgrade" the Squeezebox Radio to the Ultimate Ears version, but this is irreversible, so don't take this route if you may want to go back.

On the plus side, the software has always had strong Open Source support, so that'll probably continue, and possibly benefit from Logitech not releasing new hardware versions from time to time, which required the server to be upgraded to support them.  The server may settle into something a bit more long term and stable.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #162 on: 23 October, 2012, 10:11:37 pm »
The squeezebox platform is so cool, it would be nice if someone (Slim Devices) bought the patent back and then started producing versions of the squeezebox classic again!!

Squeezebox! Dunnit.. F**K YEAH!
« Reply #163 on: 24 October, 2012, 12:48:24 am »
Of all my gadgetry my squeezeboxes are by far the best I have. I only ever check the forums for updates on spotify or bbc iplayer when they give me gip. Not happy to see talk of Logitech not continuing looking after us and no idea what big ears is doing.

« Reply #164 on: 14 October, 2014, 01:32:16 pm »
I've had a little EBay accident and appear to have an Akurate DS!  It's a major step up from the Majik with deeper, clearer bass and much better rendition of complex orchestral passages.  The sound (using the internal volume control, a Klout power amplifier and Espek speakers) is getting quite believable now and, with eyes closed, you can convince yourself you're at a concert.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #165 on: 15 October, 2014, 07:18:34 am »
Ooh spendy.....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #166 on: 15 October, 2014, 10:24:32 pm »
Nice! Enjoy it. ADS is a big jump forwards from MDS.

My own KDSM might be about to take a trip to Glasgow for some high grade fettling to fit Exakt links.  Just trying to work the numbers through on changing it and going for Akudorik Exakt speakers.
Right! What's next?

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #167 on: 16 October, 2014, 02:21:39 pm »
The Linn systems are lovely, but ultimately I couldn't bring myself to spend that amount of money. Just bought a Naim Unitilite and Linn Majik140 speakers and they sound great to me. Streaming FLAC from a NAS transforms listening to music - it sounds so good and it's really easy!
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #168 on: 17 October, 2014, 08:29:30 am »
Good setup!

I run 140s (with metal base) and they are a fabulous speaker. I also have a pair of 109s in my study and those are truly, truly amazing little speakers. Love em.

I do have the advantage of being a co-owner of a Linn dealership, so enables me to punch somewhat above my weight in terms of what I can afford.
Right! What's next?

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #169 on: 17 October, 2014, 08:08:34 pm »
I think most folk would regard my setup as a bit unbalanced, given that the speakers cost about the same as the rest of the system. But I auditioned a fair few different speakers and I kept coming back to the 140s. I liked the look of B&W speakers but I found them too bright. Great deals available on Focal Arias but they were really disappointing, so in the end I had to spend a bit more and go for the 140s.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances