Author Topic: Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest  (Read 1769 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
« on: 30 April, 2013, 07:41:20 am »
Well after a week of extreme speculation (following years of intense speculation) - the rumours are all true. There will be a new Boards of Canada album in June.

https://bleep.com/boards-of-canada-tomorrows-harvest

My excitement levels are high. I suspect I may be having all their albums and eps on the study system today.

All we need now in the Long rumoured aphex twin album to surface.........

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Hillbilly

Re: Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2013, 09:14:45 am »
Yes, also very excited.  As in when I heard the news on the radio yesterday I mouthed a little "yes" and gave an involuntary airpunch.

Can't believe that Campfiire Headphase was released in 2005.  2005.  That's 8 years ago.  8 years.  As long as I've been doing audax.

All I ask for is the holy trinity:

Boards of Canada > Future Sounds of London > Aphex Twin

to start releasing new material (not remixes of their backcatalogue, or schizophrenic side projects) on a regular basis and I will be a happy chappy.  Some Underworld also would be nice.

« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2013, 06:08:37 pm »
Future Sounds of London

to start releasing new material (not remixes of their backcatalogue, or schizophrenic side projects) on a regular basis and I will be a happy chappy.  Some Underworld also would be nice.
Environments? 2 and 3 were substantially new and even the old stuff was re-edits then 4 is entirely new.

And anyway FSoL have always struck me as one big schizophrenic side project, no two albums ever alike. Although to my ears the AA prog rock stuff sucks, each to his own though.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2013, 06:53:21 pm »
After all the hype I hope the music is up to the usual high standard  :D

It's been fun following the BoC fanboys as they've tried to work out the secret codes that led to the video announcing the new album over the last few days.

The WATMM thread is here - all 134 pages of it!

A more digestible summary of events is on 2020k

No surprise that the guy that found the original 12" was looking for $5000 for it on Discogs!

Re FSOL - I lost track after Dead Cities &, after loving Tales of Ephidrina, was put off by the mentions of prog in reviews of subsequent releases by AA.

And...another long wait will be ended in the autumn when Arovane releases a new album too  :thumbsup:
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2013, 08:15:45 pm »
And...another long wait will be ended in the autumn when Arovane releases a new album too  :thumbsup:

nice.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2013, 10:08:22 pm »
Woohoo!! I've waited ages for this.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2013, 09:30:15 pm »
For those unaware - it's being streamed now: http://www.boardsofcanada.com/
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #7 on: 08 June, 2013, 05:24:37 pm »
Well, the album has finally arrived! It's nothing ground breaking - just lots of the familiar woozy synths, lazy beats & buried vocal snippets they're known for. I reckon it'll be a grower though so might eventually attain 'better than The Campfire Headphase' status...  ;)

« Reply #8 on: 08 June, 2013, 10:13:55 pm »
Never heard of them before this thread, but Gideon Coe played a bit the other night, so on the basis of that and this, I shall give it a shot...

Edit: although, having now popped my head into that bizarre place occupied by those forum links up the page, I'm sure I'm not odd enough to enjoy it!

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2013, 09:03:58 am »
Never heard of them before this thread, but Gideon Coe played a bit the other night, so on the basis of that and this, I shall give it a shot...

Edit: although, having now popped my head into that bizarre place occupied by those forum links up the page, I'm sure I'm not odd enough to enjoy it!

;D

Just ignore the fanboy obsessives (they've had a loooong wait, bless 'em) & concentrate on the music. I'd actually suggest their classic Music Has the Right to Children or the e.p. In A Beautiful Place Out in the Country as the best starting point rather than the new one though.

« Reply #10 on: 09 June, 2013, 10:03:36 pm »
Their fans are a bit..fervent, aren't they.

Fabulous music, though. The first album I listened to was Geogaddi (though I resisted the temptation to buy the beautifully-presented triple vinyl version from Sound it Out records in Stockton), and I reckon that's as good a place to start as any.

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 09 June, 2013, 10:12:21 pm »
I've got hold of some samples; having not heard of Boards of Canada before.

I'm trying to like them, I really am. But I'm a Bit Old now, and to me - they sound too much like Tangerine Dream wannabes.

I find their music too flat, thin - without purpose, compared to (say) System 7 which has much more body - much more of a story to tell. Am I missing something?

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #12 on: 10 June, 2013, 07:38:05 pm »
I've got hold of some samples; having not heard of Boards of Canada before.

I'm trying to like them, I really am. But I'm a Bit Old now, and to me - they sound too much like Tangerine Dream wannabes.
I find their music too flat, thin - without purpose, compared to (say) System 7 which has much more body - much more of a story to tell. Am I missing something?

I always need quite few listens before I 'get' each new release - probably because there are so many layers of synths & samples etc.
To find out if you're missing any hidden depths you need to delve deep into fanboy over-obsessiveness: eg theories re the Geogaddi album...

And as for BOC being 'TD wannabes': I'm shocked. Shocked & appalled. Shocked & appalled & mildly miffed! I've obviously got the wrong TD albums because I can't hear the similarity at all.

Not heard much S7 so can't comment much beyond vaguely remembering them being described as a bit on the proggy side (probably the Hillage connection) when they first emerged so didn't take much notice.

« Reply #13 on: 09 July, 2013, 10:56:33 pm »

To find out if you're missing any hidden depths you need to delve deep into fanboy over-obsessiveness: eg theories re the Geogaddi album...

:o

These fans are crazy *taptaptap*