Author Topic: What are you streaming at the moment…  (Read 7945 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What are you streaming at the moment…
« Reply #75 on: 28 March, 2024, 04:10:39 pm »
Still re 3-Body Problem, the demo of wonky physics is far better in the Chinese version.

And in fact it's the original, from the book.  Re-reading the first volume, I can see that the NF version strips out almost all the [astro]physics and concentrates on personal relationships and a few gory bits to titillate the punters.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #76 on: 29 March, 2024, 11:54:08 am »
I've been chugging my way through the Chinese series.  It's a *lot* more faithful to the book, to the point of being set in 2007 (Windows Vista and all),
(click to show/hide)

I was curious to see how the Cultural Revolution would be portrayed...

You've got to change mental gear to "Chinese TV series", which took me the first couple of episodes.  Mostly in terms of over-acting and use of music, though the portrayal of westerners is always amusing.  It's somewhere between Anime and Korean Action Movie with just a hint of Bollywood.

« Reply #77 on: 29 March, 2024, 12:16:41 pm »
Shōgun, on Disney. It is really very good, so far. Planning to binge the rest of it over the next few evenongs.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #78 on: 29 March, 2024, 01:26:37 pm »
I've been chugging my way through the Chinese series.

Where are you finding it?  I'm using a Chinese YT channel but they put in the TV adverts.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #79 on: 29 March, 2024, 09:08:30 pm »

Where are you finding it?  I'm using a Chinese YT channel but they put in the TV adverts.

The same place I always go for DRM-free media with subtitles that actually work: Random torrent sites.   ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #80 on: 30 March, 2024, 07:46:22 am »

The same place I always go for DRM-free media with subtitles that actually work: Random torrent sites.   ;D

Right. I'd get into that if I thought my ageing IT powers could keep the gremlins out.

« Reply #81 on: 03 April, 2024, 04:28:05 pm »

Also, they did the thing with the Panama Canal.

I just finished the series and that was easily the worst thing in the whole series. I guess it was in the books?
Otherwise loved the series. Best Sci-fi since the Expanse. Hope they can keep it up.

jwo

« Reply #82 on: 09 April, 2024, 10:28:13 pm »
Ripley (the Talented Mr, not the Alien basher).

Beautifully shot - every frame a carefully composed 1950s Leica photograph. Captures the isolation and claustrophobia of the Highsmith novel in a way that the Matt Damon / Jude Law film didn't. I agree with Lucy Mangan's review - a mesmerising performance from Andrew Scott. There are not many actors capable of carrying this off with so little dialogue to work with. Highly recommended.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #83 on: 09 April, 2024, 11:02:23 pm »

I just finished the series and that was easily the worst thing in the whole series. I guess it was in the books?
Otherwise loved the series. Best Sci-fi since the Expanse. Hope they can keep it up.

I've finished the Chinese series.  Which is longer and much more faithful to the book[1], which is commendable.  I'd suggest not judging it by the first few episodes, as the pace and acting seem to improve substantially once
(click to show/hide)
  Ye Wenjie gets to be a properly developed character.
Like the book, it buries the Cultural Revolution back-story somewhere in the middle so as not to upset the censors.  It's also unashamedly Chinese, and isn't afraid to play to a scientifically literate audience.

The bit with the Panama Canal was in the book, and the Chinese series did it better than Netflix, both in terms of the reasoning behind it and the physics (though the Netflix version had better visual effects).  Ultimately it was always going to be more spectacular in writing than on screen.  (Much more of that sort of thing in the third book, I'll wager.)

IMHO I think it's stronger for finishing properly at the end of the first book, though I'd certainly watch a second series.

[1] The Netflix series is evidently setting up to do the whole trilogy, and contains elements from the later books in an appropriate chronological order.

« Reply #84 on: 09 April, 2024, 11:04:45 pm »
I’m up to episode 6 of Ripley, which is pretty good.  There is a cat, but no Xenomorphs are involved.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #85 on: 10 April, 2024, 10:10:29 pm »
Ripley is astonishingly good

« Reply #86 on: 10 April, 2024, 10:17:32 pm »
Just finished Constellation. I mostly liked it, but the ending was extremely unsatisfactory.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #87 on: 11 April, 2024, 01:22:57 pm »

I've finished the Chinese series.  Which is longer and much more faithful to the book[1], which is commendable.  I'd suggest not judging it by the first few episodes, as the pace and acting seem to improve substantially once
(click to show/hide)
  Ye Wenjie gets to be a properly developed character.
Like the book, it buries the Cultural Revolution back-story somewhere in the middle so as not to upset the censors.  It's also unashamedly Chinese, and isn't afraid to play to a scientifically literate audience.

The bit with the Panama Canal was in the book, and the Chinese series did it better than Netflix, both in terms of the reasoning behind it and the physics (though the Netflix version had better visual effects).  Ultimately it was always going to be more spectacular in writing than on screen.  (Much more of that sort of thing in the third book, I'll wager.)

IMHO I think it's stronger for finishing properly at the end of the first book, though I'd certainly watch a second series.

[1] The Netflix series is evidently setting up to do the whole trilogy, and contains elements from the later books in an appropriate chronological order.

I'm on Ep. 21.  Shi Qiang is entertaining and a good foil for Wang Miao. He's also got me thinking about stir-fried tripe but MrsT recoils if I mention it.

When I started watching it I thought it was going to cover all 3 books - compare its 21 hours with Netflux's measly 6, pared down for the modern Western zombie audience - but now I'm glad it's just doing the one.  Not so glad that we'll have to wait for Books 2 & 3, though.

---o0o---

Right now MrsT has us re-watching Peaky Fucking Blinders for the Nth time and I wish they'd just Peak Blinding fuck off.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #88 on: 11 April, 2024, 01:27:20 pm »
Right now MrsT has us re-watching Peaky Fucking Blinders for the Nth time and I wish they'd just Peak Blinding fuck off.

Never actually seen it, in spite of living in Birmingham, where everyone (including the BBC) is obsessed with it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #89 on: 14 April, 2024, 09:39:53 pm »
Quite enjoyed 3 body problem, although it probably helps that it’s a long time since I read the book so have forgotten a lot of the detail.

We finished watching Shogun last night and again found it very good. It’s even linger since I read that book.

Now watching Ripley which is quite astonishing in terms of the cinema photography and doing it all in B&W is very brave. Not only is every shot set up like an immense B&W still, but the direction is a throwback to the highest art house film noir of the 50s. It’s just as well it’s beautiful to look at though, because the pace in the first two episodes is pedestrian.

As an antidote to all this high concept stuff, I’m also watching Renagade Nell, which is utter 25 carrot cheese, but enjoyable for all that.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #90 on: Yesterday at 08:05:02 am »
Now watching Ripley which is quite astonishing in terms of the cinema photography and doing it all in B&W is very brave. Not only is every shot set up like an immense B&W still, but the direction is a throwback to the highest art house film noir of the 50s. It’s just as well it’s beautiful to look at though, because the pace in the first two episodes is pedestrian.

Aye.  The first episode left me wanting to bale out since know the story and it was so depressingly gritty, but by the end of the 3rd I was hooked - and very glad they weren't copying the Matt Damon version's wretched jazz gambit.  Can't stand Charlie Parker.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #91 on: Yesterday at 03:57:17 pm »
Just finished Fallout (on Prime).  It was better than I thought it would be, despite a relatively weak storyline.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #92 on: Yesterday at 10:08:40 pm »
Ripley is astonishingly good
Having now watched the whole thing, I'm less impressed

(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #93 on: Today at 08:24:47 am »
Enjoyed it muchly.  Loved the cat - I'd love a Maine Coon but I'd never stop sneezing, and if it went for a walk a neighbour would probably shoot it.  Got fed up with up-the-kilt shots of the elevator shaft. The steps thing was good. Photography great.