Author Topic: To Kobo or to Kindle?  (Read 10580 times)

fuzzy

Re: To Kobo or to Kindle?
« Reply #50 on: 28 July, 2015, 10:55:23 am »
So, one buys an book from Nozama, downloads it to thine Babbage Engine, runs it through the Calibre blender of goodness and uploads to one Kobo/ Nook/ Not Kindle?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #51 on: 28 July, 2015, 11:43:14 am »
Don't worry Biggsy, I'm not underestimating anything.

My conundrum between the two platforms is the ability (or not) to access Library e books and the ability (or not) to access output by the likes of our estimable friend SAA Calvert.

AFAIK you can't "borrow" eBooks from your library for a Kindle.

You can borrow them for your PC and convert for Kindle.  www.wikihow.com/Access-UK-Library-Books-on-a-Kindle
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #52 on: 28 July, 2015, 11:57:48 am »
Good to know - as I really like my Kindle paperwhite  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #53 on: 28 July, 2015, 06:46:44 pm »
So, one buys an book from Nozama, downloads it to thine Babbage Engine, runs it through the Calibre blender of goodness and uploads to one Kobo/ Nook/ Not Kindle?
Going that route, you need a plug-in for Calibre to remove the DRM encryption.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

fuzzy

« Reply #54 on: 28 July, 2015, 09:48:40 pm »
Kindle Paperwhite ordered.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #55 on: 28 July, 2015, 10:14:48 pm »

I'm not sure how the De-DRM plug-in handles downloads to Kindle for PC but there must be some alternative to entering the Kindle serial # for people who don't have one.  Isn't there?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #56 on: 29 July, 2015, 06:56:45 am »

I'm not sure how the De-DRM plug-in handles downloads to Kindle for PC but there must be some alternative to entering the Kindle serial # for people who don't have one.  Isn't there?
https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/calibre-plugins-the-simplest-option-for-removing-most-ebook-drm/
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ian

« Reply #57 on: 29 July, 2015, 12:43:45 pm »

On a Mac, you just have to download the book to the Kindle for Mac reader. If it's in the library, the DRM then wafts away as though caught on a light, magical breeze. Possibly it's different for PCs.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #58 on: 30 July, 2015, 04:27:40 am »

My conundrum between the two platforms is the ability (or not) to access Library e books and the ability (or not) to access output by the likes of our estimable friend SAA Calvert.

AFAIK you can't "borrow" eBooks from your library for a Kindle. And that situation is unlikely to ever change, given Amazon give them (Kindles) away below cost so you buy eBooks and audiobooks from them.

Not in the UK you can't. If you register your Kindle to the US and register with a US library you can.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #59 on: 30 July, 2015, 08:09:49 am »

AFAIK you can't "borrow" eBooks from your library for a Kindle. And that situation is unlikely to ever change, given Amazon give them (Kindles) away below cost so you buy eBooks and audiobooks from them.

Not in the UK you can't. If you register your Kindle to the US and register with a US library you can.

Yes, I know - but not really relevant to Fuzzy, so didn't mention it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #60 on: 30 July, 2015, 07:43:15 pm »

Yes, I know - but not really relevant to Fuzzy, so didn't mention it.

You never know when it might be relevant. If you visit a small town in the US (which anyone could conceivably do) and register at the library you may be able to do it. I don't remember being asked for a proof of address when I registered. You never know who might have family or friends abroad.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #61 on: 16 May, 2020, 10:22:15 pm »
Bumped to avoid taking another thread off topic

In terms of e-Readers, the current "starter" choice is between...
Kindle basic ~£70
Kindle Paperwhite ~£120
Kobo Clara ~£110

All 3 are 6" displays, and reasonably pocketable. If you do intend to pocket it, a case is advisable, preferably a flip case similar to this official version. The leather cases that hold the reader using elastic across the corners add quite a lot of bulk.
All 3 are illuminated. The Kobo has the option of a warm orange tone which you may prefer in the evening
All 3 are touchscreen controlled. If you want buttons, you've got to pay more for one of the more up-market models.
The Basic has a lower resolution display
The Paperwhite is waterproof
The Paperwhite and Basic do bluetooth (for audio books)
The Paperwhite and Clara are 8 GB, the Basic is 4 GB (nominal sizes - the OS uses some)
For normal books, 4 GB is plenty (well over 1000 books). You may want more for audio books or manga (comics)
For the Kindles, "Special Offers" is adverts on the sleep screen. You pay an extra £10 not to have them.

The "lasts weeks" battery life claims are based on half an hour a day or something. It's actually page turns that sets the life (for reading). I find I want to charge every 3 or 4 books (regular paperback size).

Both Kindle and Kobo tie you in to their book stores to some extent - certainly if you buy a book and want it to just appear on the reader over wifi, like magic.
If you buy current commercial e-books, they will almost certainly be encrypted (DRM), so that you can only read books bought on the Kindle store on a Kindle reader, and only read books bought at the Kobo store on a Kobo reader. It's therefore worth looking at the two stores beforehand, and seeing which you prefer.
Prices are generally similar if not the same, and both Kindle and Kobo have monthly "special offer" packages with maybe 200 books reduced to 99p. Strangely enough, the books concerned are the same on both, as far as I've seen.

Kobo plays better with those lending libraries that offer e-books (or so I've heard).

There are free books available, either out of copyright (i.e. old classics) from Project Gutenberg and the like, or illegally from wherever google might find.

I've got a Paperwhite and a Kobo Aura One (7.8" screen, for home use).
I get round the incompatibility issue by (illegally) decrypting and converting the books (using Calibre, with plugins), so whatever I buy can be read on either reader. Google is your friend.
Most of what I buy comes from the Kindle store - I just find it's easier.

« Reply #62 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:31:29 am »
I've not seen the other thread so apologies if I'm repeating stuff.

I've got a Kindle basic, and an Inkbook (see below), Mrs M has a Kindle Paperwhite.
I've had two Kobos and they've both died on me - as much as I consider the Kobo platform superior the hardware sucks.

Mrs Ms Paperwhite appears to have superior battery life to my basic, despite the back-light (which is very good, and something I increasingly miss). I can't tell the difference in screen resolution.

I bought an Inkbook - which is an Android eInk device a while back after getting frustrated with various aspects of e-reading.
It's 'poor-but-adequate' for reading ebooks from random sources, particularly Google Play Books, but doesn't play particularly well with Kobo. The Kindle app works 10% of the time, the synch being the biggest issue (it's on Android 4.something). Battery life is dreadful.
For these books I've got a Kindle Fire tablet which, despite being heavy, is great. With Google Play Services installed it becomes an all round book reader (Play, Kobo, & random) and accesses my local library's two dozen ebooks. Reading in sunlight on tne Fire is the biggest drawback - you can't.

Purchasing from the Kindle is just too easy.

So in summary if I was buying again today, I'd get a Kindle Paperwhite and a Kindle Fire and put Google's apps on it.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #63 on: 20 May, 2020, 02:54:17 pm »
I use Calibre.
Also worth noting that you can use Calibre to convert from EPUB to MOBI or PDF - which allows you to download a book from the library and read it on your kindle.
... missed the second and third page, apologies.

I have used this to get ebook downloads from my library and read them on the Kindle.  You don't need the DRM remover unless you want to circumvent the book expiring.

You can also get free books in pdf from project gutenberg (and others) which should work on Kindle.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #64 on: 20 May, 2020, 03:11:26 pm »

I have used this to get ebook downloads from my library and read them on the Kindle.  You don't need the DRM remover unless you want to circumvent the book expiring.
It does depend on what interface your library uses. I think there are two Borrowbox and Overdrive (probably others as well).
Mine - Leicestershire - uses Borrowbox and no amount of fiddling with Calibre (or anything else) would let me read on their books on Kindle.
Overdrive is more popular AFAIK and there seem to be more hacks for it.
The Amazon walled garden does seem to have seriously inhibited the growth of ebook libraries.

« Reply #65 on: 20 May, 2020, 06:20:58 pm »
Yes, my library uses Overdrive.
Forgot to mention a step in the procedure, which is you download a *.acsm file which you then need to open with Adobe Digital Editions (free download).  When you open in Adobe it is then stored in your Adobe library as an EPUB and then you import into Calibre and hence MOBI up and upload to Kindle.

Does Borrowbox not allow you to download (e.g. all reading in the cloud)?  Otherwise I would assume there is a workaround.

« Reply #66 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:04:11 pm »
I've read both books in the County e-library, so it's a while since I've been in Borrowbox, but my recollection is that the books have to be read in the app, not downloaded.
If there were an. ascm file it would be much easier.

« Reply #67 on: 25 May, 2020, 09:35:46 pm »
Yes, my library uses Overdrive.
Forgot to mention a step in the procedure, which is you download a *.acsm file which you then need to open with Adobe Digital Editions (free download).  When you open in Adobe it is then stored in your Adobe library as an EPUB and then you import into Calibre and hence MOBI up and upload to Kindle.
That's how you remove the encryption/DRM, having installed the appropriate Calibre plugin.
If a book's still got DRM on it, Calibre won't convert it.
Once the Calibre plugin has stripped off the DRM (during import), you can do what you like with the book, for as long as you like.

Kobo use the same Adobe Digital Editions DRM as Overdrive, so Overdrive books go straight into a Kobo, or so I believe.

« Reply #68 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:29:00 pm »
Not sure if I have that plugin, but I delete books when I've read them (because: library) so would have to try it to find out.  Would be a shame if YET AGAIN the anti-piracy software is the thing that pushes me to piracy (yaaar).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #69 on: 26 May, 2020, 08:20:48 am »
Not sure if I have that plugin, but I delete books when I've read them (because: library) so would have to try it to find out.  Would be a shame if YET AGAIN the anti-piracy software is the thing that pushes me to piracy (yaaar).

The plugin you are not looking for is not called DeDRM, nor is it mostly the work of Apprentice Alf.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #70 on: 08 June, 2020, 03:48:33 pm »
I just use the Kindle app on my Ipad.  It works fine for me and, I assume, there are apps for reading from other sources?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #71 on: 04 August, 2021, 07:26:49 pm »
Just spotted Amazon have got the fancy coloured PaperWhite Kindles down to £69.99 at the moment for the 8GB version (black is £10 more).

Absolute bargain for an excellent eReader, imho.
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)