Author Topic: Signs of Spring  (Read 208752 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Signs of Spring
« Reply #625 on: 20 November, 2013, 02:42:17 pm »
Leaves on birches and beeches by hospital finally going yellow. It's a south-facing bank so that probably keeps it green longer.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #626 on: 20 November, 2013, 04:00:17 pm »
I was digging over a border at the w/e.  I'd forgotten there were snowdrops in there.  They weren't showing above ground, but when I accidently dug them up I saw that the whole clump had good strong green shoots bursting out of them.  I apologised profusely to them and re-buried them to their original depth.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #627 on: 08 January, 2014, 12:12:11 am »
Hazel catkins open & dangly today in a sheltered valley - Finham Brook fwiw. It's a tad early, but December was well above average temperature & the Midlands have missed the worst of the extreme weather so far.

« Reply #628 on: 08 January, 2014, 09:45:07 am »
Can I count lambs as a sign of Spring?  One of the farms here was lambing at the beginning of December.  The farm where I'm renting a shed/yard for my cows over winter has several hundred lambs in the barns & fields that were born between Xmas and New Year.  They are super cute.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #629 on: 08 January, 2014, 10:29:54 am »
Crocus shoots showing and well established in Welsh garden

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #630 on: 08 January, 2014, 09:45:34 pm »
A magpie shifting nesting material today. Also, catkins. As per Crumbling Nick in the West Midlands, we have had a very mild "winter" so far. The mean temperature for December was 7.4°C in which there were 17 days with a maximum temperature in excess of 10°C. So far for January the mean has been 9.4°C and every day has been above 10°C. Long may it continue: for every day it's mild, that's one day fewer on which snow is likely to be a problem.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #631 on: 08 January, 2014, 09:50:30 pm »
A magpie shifting nesting material today.

Bluetits and blackbirds have been scouting their nest sites in my garden this week too. I also saw a pigeon with a beak full of twigs but they'll breed anytime, anywhere!

I just hope we have a mild winter/spring and they have a good year.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #632 on: 09 January, 2014, 09:26:08 am »
Ducklings on a village pond  :-\ very tiny fluffy ones. Bit too early, I think! They won't like the Polar Vortex  :(
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #633 on: 09 January, 2014, 09:28:05 am »
It always makes me happy when this thread starts to poke its head up though the leaf litter.

Anyway, I’ve just noticed the daff shoots are beginning to show in Brum.  They've probably been there for a while but I wasn't looking for them.  I hope we don’t get to severe a late cold snap.  Last year really knocked them about.

« Reply #634 on: 06 February, 2014, 09:39:40 pm »
Lots of leaves in the road verges today. The wake up call was a clump of wild arum this morning. It eventually registered that the cow parsley leaves have been visible for several weeks. This evening I noticed a long swathe of little celandine leaves in a place I hadn't noticed flowers in previous years.

Passed a clump of snowdrops in flower on Tuesday & again today. They're on the fringes of a nature reserve (Temple Balsall) that has a lot of wild snowdrops, but those by the road might be a cultivated variety. Must ride back & visit the reserve soon to see how the woodland snowdrops are progressing - it's less than 5 miles from home.

« Reply #635 on: 07 February, 2014, 09:04:18 am »
Snowdrops on ncn4 near Windsor leisure centre  :)
the slower you go the more you see

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #636 on: 07 February, 2014, 09:12:52 am »
A cheery tree in near full blossom at Airedale hospital on the 8th of Jan. Ok surrounded on four sides by warm hospital walls.

Snowdrops have been out and about for over a week now in our local ginnel.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Ruth

« Reply #637 on: 07 February, 2014, 09:48:21 am »
I've got snowdrops in my front garden  :)

The other bulbs I planted are coming up in little green spikes, so that cat has taken to pooing on the grass instead of teh flower bed. 

Still, I'm looking forward to the daffodils blooming.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #638 on: 07 February, 2014, 03:18:38 pm »
Saw my first house fly today!   :thumbsup:

had a fly cemetery with my coffee this afternoon to celebrate!   ;)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #639 on: 07 February, 2014, 03:34:48 pm »
frozen ground turns into 5" deep mud. well it's still winter but 7oC   :thumbsup:

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #640 on: 07 February, 2014, 03:46:05 pm »
A butterfly  ???  I think it was Painted Lady, but I didn't get close enough to be sure.  Poor thing, I doubt that it will survive long enough to mate.

And another sign of spring, I notice that the cricket square in Llandysul has been roped off.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #641 on: 07 February, 2014, 04:12:47 pm »
Violets in flower at the Museum of Kent Life, Maidstone.

« Reply #642 on: 07 February, 2014, 11:50:22 pm »
Snowdrops, cherry blossom, a crocus & a couple of daisies.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #643 on: 08 February, 2014, 08:07:19 am »
Snowdrops here.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #644 on: 13 February, 2014, 09:26:32 pm »
Saw celandines in flower today on the sunny bank where the earliest ones usually appear. On the morning "commute" there was a clump with more than a few expectant yellow balls on the flower stems ;). On the way home a few had opened up, and there was another flower half a metre away that I'd missed in the morning: it had evidently been open for longer than just today.

A couple of miles further on towards the day's work, a skylark was singing. It took a wee while to identify positively - the straight mile to Meriden is pretty noisy at 9 a.m. - but spotted the bird & watched him descend to a roadside field. Aren't they supposed to be the sound of summer?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #645 on: 13 February, 2014, 09:37:54 pm »
A skylark in Feb?  Wow.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #646 on: 13 February, 2014, 10:37:31 pm »
A skylark in Feb?  Wow.

I completely failed to mention a couple of skylarks I saw and heard singing about three weeks ago.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #647 on: 14 February, 2014, 12:09:21 pm »
Snowdrops out in St James's Park - daffs clearly coming up too.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #648 on: 14 February, 2014, 12:29:07 pm »
The daffodils are well into bud in Priory park. Their heads are beginning to bend and there is a hint of yellow about them.

Bloody horrible morning though. Windy, leaden and with a stinging drizzle - the sort of weather described so well by George Orwell when he's at his most depressing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #649 on: 16 February, 2014, 01:25:41 pm »
Daffodils in my garden are open.
Ice cream van chimes in the street.