Author Topic: RAAM  (Read 5181 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: RAAM
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2009, 01:27:45 pm »
Reading his blog, it sounds like he lost too much time when he went off route and incurred a penalty as a result.
(I didn't read the details*, but ...)

If I was the support crew that let him go off-route, I think I'd be pretty keen to put the blame elsewhere too :)

(*So I'm probably totally out of order ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Really Ancien

« Reply #26 on: 26 June, 2009, 01:33:52 pm »
I bet the makers of this film are a bit peeved.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/l5V6iSQ-Krw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/l5V6iSQ-Krw&rel=1</a>

Damon.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #27 on: 26 June, 2009, 01:54:01 pm »
It looks bad that Jure Robic packed as he wasn't going to win

But you must remember that it isn't Jure who makes that decision, it's the crew.  By the time the last day comes around he is a drooling mess.

Also you have to remember how absolutely insanely painful the last bit of RAAM is.  If you had a chance to say "end bit of RAAM?  No point" then you would say stop.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #28 on: 26 June, 2009, 07:45:28 pm »

Live streaming interview with Jure Robic now on http://www.jurerobic.net/

« Reply #29 on: 29 June, 2009, 12:02:52 am »
Both the British men have finished within 3 hours of each other. :thumbsup:
Ann Woolridge is still battling on :thumbsup:
She'll be last lady, but only 3 will finish (touch wood). The first has finished and another is almost finished.
Ann should finish withn the next 24 hours at the most. :thumbsup:

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #30 on: 29 June, 2009, 12:47:19 pm »
Team Can Be Venture - 8 days, 9 hours and 6 minutes averaging 15.02mph
"Live life based on what it CAN BE instead of what is"

Well done :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: 30 June, 2009, 07:32:17 am »
Ann photoset on Flickr

She's going to be out of time (so not an official finisher), but will likely take the record for the fastest solo woman in the 50+ age group.

« Reply #32 on: 30 June, 2009, 01:09:02 pm »
From John Hughes (UMCA director) on the UMCA mailing list

I was in touch with Terry Lansdell, Ann's crew chief, and we arranged quite a reception for Ann at the Annapolis city dock last night.  She was greeted by close to 100 people including Dani Genovesi and Janet Christiansen. 

Ann recorded the fastest transcon by a 50+ women, 13d 6h 9m, over 24 hours faster than Bonnie Allison's 1992 transcon.

Ann had an epic ride.  She's a small woman - the muscles in her arms failed from shifting the relatively stiff Campy levers - the crew improvised lever extensions to increase her leverage and decrease the required muscle strength.  She crashed hard - the helmet saved her life and barely visible in the photo is her black eye.  She developed Shermer-neck and Terry improvised a neck brace to hold her head up.  Watching Ann finish was the most touching moment of RAAM 2009 for me. 

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 30 June, 2009, 01:44:52 pm »
Wow!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #34 on: 30 June, 2009, 07:12:29 pm »
Bloody hell, I looked last night and saw DNF and assumed she had stopped because of being eliminated.
She must have had a very hard ride for the last 1000 miles. I was sad that she got so close to finishing and eliminated. But now I know she finished and has the fastest over 50 female time, I'm pretty pleased about that.
I think that also makes her the first British female to ride RAAM, or at the least, gone further than any other British woman before getting eliminated.

Top Banana :thumbsup:

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #35 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:54:36 am »
I was abroad last week and forgot to follow this, but sorry to hear Ann did not finish within the time, but a bloody brave performance nonetheless.  She would have been the first British woman to complete the RAAM - perhaps this still counts?

I was talking to one of her clubmates from Gloucester City CC a few weeks ago, apparently she is an amazing natural cyclist and a 'unique' personality... guess you have to be a bit nuts to ride AAM though.

Respect to all who took part.

francisbarton

• Francis
« Reply #36 on: 03 July, 2009, 01:54:51 pm »
According to my TV guide there is a RAAM documentary on Tuesday at 6pm on ITV4.

francisbarton

• Francis
« Reply #37 on: 09 July, 2009, 12:05:53 am »
According to my TV guide there is a RAAM documentary on Tuesday at 6pm on ITV4.

Recorded this - watching it now.  It's quite good.  It follows Jim Rees on the 2007 RAAM.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #38 on: 05 August, 2009, 02:02:28 pm »
Maybe I'll do RAAM one of these years. Am I crazy? Anyone know how many miles a day they avg?
2:04 PM Aug 2nd from UberTwitter
lancearmstrong
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 05 August, 2009, 02:08:46 pm »
Has he been drinking? ;D
Getting there...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #40 on: 05 August, 2009, 04:03:49 pm »
Maybe I'll do RAAM one of these years. Am I crazy? Anyone know how many miles a day they avg?
lancearmstrong

And in reply to him John Schlitter wrote

Lance, asks how many miles a day on RAAM average, 280 to 380 miles a day.

If your slow and old like me it is around 270 miles a day to do RAAM!

Lance Armstrong if you want to do RAAM, I got a bike that will make it fun for you to do it on, give me a call

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #41 on: 06 August, 2009, 09:42:44 am »
lancearmstrong

I missed the "lancearmstrong" bit on first reading and thus thought that, even by mattc's standards, this plumbed new depths of insanity ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #42 on: 06 August, 2009, 12:13:35 pm »
Indeed. Toby was telling me LEL RAAM qualification was sub-76 hours. Best cut down that chat at controls Matt. ;)

« Reply #43 on: 22 August, 2009, 09:17:29 am »
She must have had a very hard ride for the last 1000 miles. I was sad that she got so close to finishing and eliminated. But now I know she finished and has the fastest over 50 female time, I'm pretty pleased about that.
I think that also makes her the first British female to ride RAAM, or at the least, gone further than any other British woman before getting eliminated.

Top Banana :thumbsup:

This came in on the UMCA mailing list today:-

Dear Ann,

Congratulations. Your transcontinental US record is now officially certified by UMCA, as follows:

Ann Wooldridge, 50, Gloucester, UK
Standard bike
Transcontinental US
West-East
Using RAAM start/finish

June 16-29, 2009
3022 miles
13 days 6 hours 9 minutes
9.50 mph
Officials: RAAM officials; Mike Roark, Terry Landsell

Congratulations! RAAM is always tough, but to finish the ride with the aftermath of a serious crash is even more amazing. Great job!

Drew Clark

So it is offical  :thumbsup: