Author Topic: Lending stuff out  (Read 4096 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Lending stuff out
« Reply #25 on: 11 January, 2017, 09:24:48 pm »
I've never lost a tool but books never come back.  Nor DVDs.  That copy of "Blood On Satan's Claw" cost me fifteen quid!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #26 on: 11 January, 2017, 10:11:03 pm »
Depends what it is and who wants to borrow it.  Someone I know owes me several thousand pounds and I have no doubt whatsoever they will pay it back.  Hardly any one else has that much of my trust!  I'd rather buy tools than borrow them or give things away than expect their return.     
Move Faster and Bake Things

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #27 on: 12 January, 2017, 10:26:07 am »
I've lent books and records/CDs over the years, written them off as 'lost' only to have them suddenly come back, often long after I had forgotten who had borrowed them.  Having said that, if anyone out there has my copy of John Martyn's "The Church With One Bell". I'd really like it back please.  Sometimes, I find a book or CD that I simply have to share with people, in which case I simply buy them copies. (I think I may have single-handedly pushed The Time Traveller's Wife up the Amazon chart when it was first published!)

I once lent a work colleague a rare 4 CD boxed set.  Several months later, I inquired as to its whereabouts only for him to confess that he had left it in the glove compartment of a hire car months earlier.  It must have played on his mind, though, because about a year later he presented me with a replacement copy - it must have cost him several hundred pounds to obtain.

In our street, we have a neighbourhood tool shed of things that you might occasionally need but really can't justify buying to use once in a decade. So far as I know, no one has ever failed to return a borrowed item. Every now and again, a plea will pop up on the group email for a specific item - there was a panicked request for a particular spanner on Boxing Day to fix a leaking washing machine, for example - and, again, I've not heard of anyone having any problems. But we are a friendly  street O:-)

Not surprisingly, I often get kids (or their dads) knocking on the door needing to borrow bike tools but in those instances I often also end up assisting with their deployment.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #28 on: 12 January, 2017, 11:10:50 am »
My sister tends to hold onto my stuff for so long (& I see her infrequently) that it becomes 'hers' by osmosis. My brother fucks up everything I lend him, so gets short shrift or an excuse these days. Other folk I tend to gauge on past performance, but a request for a bike fettling tool is taken as a round about way of asking for help, which I freely give where I can.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 12 January, 2017, 11:43:43 am »
In our street, we have a neighbourhood tool shed of things that you might occasionally need but really can't justify buying to use once in a decade. So far as I know, no one has ever failed to return a borrowed item.
A different kind of neighbourhood tool shed in Bristol:
“It was a community gun used for rabbitting, everyone knew about it, everyone I knew, associates and friends. It was common knowledge that there was this community gun."
http://www.bristol247.com/channel/news-comment/features/bristicles/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-hartcliffe-bristol
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.