Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2169079 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #11750 on: 15 January, 2017, 02:43:08 pm »
Fettled all my bolts, nuts, washers and similar odds and ends into one Wilko odds and ends holder. Sorted by size – mostly...

Did the same a few weeks ago during the general shed/gym/office fettling. Handy little boxes aren't they.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11751 on: 15 January, 2017, 05:13:27 pm »
Spent most of the day unpacking and setting up my new bandsaw. Not done by a long chalk - I decided that it needed to be higher so now I'm altering the stand I built for the old one. First real carpentry I've done for maybe 10 years.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #11752 on: 15 January, 2017, 07:55:27 pm »
Fettled the u-bend under the kitchen sink.  There was a dinner knife in there.  Not even my dinner knife, it must have been there longer than a year.

It was disgusting in there.  At least it's draining now.
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11753 on: 15 January, 2017, 09:09:00 pm »
That's right up there with that time I found some mystery trousers in the iceberg at the back of the freezer.   :hand:

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #11754 on: 16 January, 2017, 05:44:24 pm »
Refitted the nice on one 26er Chromoly fork to my old vintage 2011 Btwin Rockrider 5.3 .

Much nicer than the comedy "suspension" fork which was pretty much worn out. I tend not do do any gnarly off roading now, so rigid mtb will suit me fine. Kind of like a 26er flat barred gravel grinder...

I also put the 26*1.75 Schwalbe land cruisers back on, as i found the vittoria sagauros pretty rubbish faerie resistance wise.
Marathon Mondials look good, if expensive...

Next upgrades are the wheels, as the bearings sound rough. A pair of mavic crossrides or something 26" disc? Frame can take max 2.1" tyres

And properly sized pclips so i can refit the pannier rack (ive managed to strip the seat stay rack mounts

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11755 on: 16 January, 2017, 07:59:14 pm »
If the mounts are external then use overlength bolts with nyloc nuts, if they're inserts in the tube ('rivnuts' or 'nutserts') they should be relatively easy to change. Post a picture or two...?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

BrianI

« Reply #11756 on: 17 January, 2017, 06:54:50 pm »
An interior bike holder upperer for the car:

Although after taking that photo, and trying it in the car, I removed the rear most plank for a better fit in the lower boot area.

BrianI

« Reply #11757 on: 17 January, 2017, 07:10:43 pm »
If the mounts are external then use overlength bolts with nyloc nuts, if they're inserts in the tube ('rivnuts' or 'nutserts') they should be relatively easy to change. Post a picture or two...?

I'm pretty sure they are rivnuts.  Not sure how easy they would be to replace, without the rivnut tool?  Hence my option of rubber coated pclips. At most the rack will be carrying rackpack rather than full touring panniers.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11758 on: 17 January, 2017, 08:15:21 pm »
The Brompton fettling on Saturday has eliminated the odd creak when pedalling, which turned out to be the chain just kissing the chain tensioner.  I swapped the spacers around on the sprocket and jockey wheels to move it all inboard a bit.  Must check chainline again but 1/16" difference will probably be taken up when I retighten the cranks on the BB (they were new cranks).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11759 on: 18 January, 2017, 02:01:11 am »

I'm pretty sure they are rivnuts.  Not sure how easy they would be to replace, without the rivnut tool?  Hence my option of rubber coated pclips. At most the rack will be carrying rackpack rather than full touring panniers.

I bought the tool - posh pop riveter - online for about 12 quid. The inserts are really cheap and easy to fit.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #11760 on: 18 January, 2017, 07:51:35 am »
I bought the tool - posh pop riveter - online for about 12 quid. The inserts are really cheap and easy to fit.
Ooo. Where from ?
Rust never sleeps

BrianI

« Reply #11761 on: 18 January, 2017, 08:09:16 am »
Ooo. Where from ?

+1

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11762 on: 18 January, 2017, 09:08:38 am »
Apols for ebay links Setting tool

Rivnuts - M5 @ £2.25 for 10

Usual caveats, no connection etc but there's loads of them...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #11763 on: 18 January, 2017, 11:02:44 am »

Thank you !!
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11764 on: 18 January, 2017, 11:21:58 am »
Had another grind at my hoary old plane blade using Paul Sellers' method: successive sheets of abrasive clamped to the bench and (in my case) a honing guide. Long business and it goes through emery cloth like smoke.  The Scary Sharp system looks cheap at the outset but at 50-80 cents a sheet sharpening a couple of plane blades would cost as much as a half-decent stone.

BTW, you'd think something as simple as a honing guide would be easy to get right but the Stanley ones are crap. Thinking of breaking the piggy-bank and getting a Veritas diamond block & guide, but €€€. :-\

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #11765 on: 18 January, 2017, 04:50:19 pm »
BTW, you'd think something as simple as a honing guide would be easy to get right but the Stanley ones are crap.
There are two different Stanley honing guides. One with cast sides that clamp each side of the blade and has a single metal roller in the middle. There is also a cheaper looking one made of bent steel where the blade is clamped from above by a couple of bolts. This has two rollers or a single roller across the width of the guide. The second is my preferred one as it keeps the blade horizontal and it has a handy flip out set up guide.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11766 on: 18 January, 2017, 05:02:29 pm »
The second one is all our local DIY supermarket had. Yes the blade stays horizontal but with the double clamp it's easy to move the blade off-square as you tighten it, and while you're fiddling it back square it drifts off the angle you've set.  I'm looking at a Veritas guide but my £35 looks very nice as well.

BrianI

« Reply #11767 on: 19 January, 2017, 01:42:15 pm »

Ah, looks like I shan't be needing them now as i think I've wrecked my decathlon mtbso's frame. I thought I'd try drilling out the rivnut. Drilling away i go, i only end up drilling right through the seat stay and out the other side

Now i could put a bolt right through for fitting the rack,but my fear is I've weakened the seat stay too much...  :facepalm:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11768 on: 19 January, 2017, 04:14:08 pm »
Well, that'll remind you to be more careful with power tools in future. ;)

If you think about it, a rivnut is just a hole in a tube. Seatstays are just about the least stressed tubes in bike frames and have pretty much the most forgiving failure mode.

If the edges of the holes are smoothed nicely with a round file and the remaining tube section is still pretty meaty, I might be inclined to keep riding it after sealing up the redundant hole. A picture would help.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

BrianI

« Reply #11769 on: 19 January, 2017, 06:05:24 pm »
Well, that'll remind you to be more careful with power tools in future. ;)

If you think about it, a rivnut is just a hole in a tube. Seatstays are just about the least stressed tubes in bike frames and have pretty much the most forgiving failure mode.

If the edges of the holes are smoothed nicely with a round file and the remaining tube section is still pretty meaty, I might be inclined to keep riding it after sealing up the redundant hole. A picture would help.
Hmm, so tidying up the holes, then using them to put a bolt straight through for the rack stays? And then tighten the rack stays *just* enough, and not too tight to crush the seat stays... 

Although, having said that a shiny new mtb does seem tempting, considering the decathlon mtbso is needing a fair bit of parts replaced, drive train / wheels etc.... 

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11770 on: 20 January, 2017, 03:05:04 pm »
Finally got round to cutting down the steerer on my Felt. Fork is carbon but I'd always assumed it was an alloy steerer. Turns out it's all carbon.

I've only had the bike 9 years. How on earth have I not noticed that before?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #11771 on: 20 January, 2017, 06:18:28 pm »
Fettled the gears and brakes on the bike I have for sale, new inner cables have stretched.

Two days of fettling to the the steamroller, striping the bike down even the brake calipers. General cleaning and re greasing with waterproof grease.  Even popped seal off the headset bearings and regreased them.  Deciding if I should put new tyres on or not, especially as I'm going from 25 to 23 ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11772 on: 22 January, 2017, 04:11:10 pm »
I've made a timelapse camera mount for turning the camera during filming. £3.99 it cost.

Using Sugru (cost not factored in) the mounting plate that comes in the GoPro box that you throw away and an egg timer. And a Dremel.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11773 on: 22 January, 2017, 05:48:51 pm »
Fettled a carload of folders, paper/cardboard and electro-tqt to the tip.  This is actually the culmination of about a week of on-and-off sorting and tidying.

(I drove an old-fashioned car, with a clutch and a gearbox and an internal combustion engine (but the conspicuous absence of a proper handbrake) and it didn't go too horribly wrong.  Main problem was I kept forgetting to change down to 1st when I stopped at junctions, and made life difficult for myself pulling away in 2nd.)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #11774 on: 22 January, 2017, 05:51:15 pm »
Main problem was I kept forgetting to change down to 1st when I stopped at junctions, and made life difficult for myself pulling away in 2nd.)

I'd have expected your inner recumbantist to have that as second nature!