Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3008785 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Very nice - David's? Have spent more than a few pennies in there in my time.

Yes, that was it.

Bought The Railway Man (already seen the film), a Wainright book for my dad, completely at random an interesting looking book on the philosophy of maths and a history of medicine for my daughter.

Could easily have spent more there.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I took the dog for a 2 mile run. (Yeah, running again, I should really get that seen to.) This is a dog that pulls like crazy on the lead and even our trainer has given up. But jogging at 4mph, she trots alongside like a Crufts champion! I'm agog.

Tilley says "hurry up, Mum"
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Nah, the "mum" word is used to refer to my mum only. Say the word to Tilley and she dashes to the door-window-door-window via the sofas, coffee table and ceiling.  ;D

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Dropped my daughter off at Trinity College this morning for a maths masterclass, kids from around the county are selected from their schools.  The class was from 10-12:30, so I had the delight of actually browsing a second hand and remaindered stock bookshop without anyone mithering me to hurry up, have a wander around the market, talk about, buy and drink coffee, but the weeks fruit and veg. All that before 11:15 leaving an hour of aimless wandering.

Haven't had a day like that in ages.

All very confusing when the Trinity College which first comes to mind is one on the other side of the Irish Sea.  :facepalm:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

And I first thought of Trinity College of Music, until I realised I'd just read the word 'maths'

ElyDave

yes, all very confusing, and then there are those colleges which appear both at Cambridge and Oxford to add even more.

She's still wanting to go to Cambridge (only 12 at the moment), which would be handy to keep the accommodation fees down.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
If you were putting bicarb in your submarine no wonder it didn't work. It was baking powder you needed.

Baking powder is bicarb (with some cream of tartar to buffer it back to stop it tasting soapy). Bicarb or baking powder will work fine.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

If you were putting bicarb in your submarine no wonder it didn't work. It was baking powder you needed.

Baking powder is bicarb (with some cream of tartar to buffer it back to stop it tasting soapy). Bicarb or baking powder will work fine.

I thought soda needed something acidic to react with before releasing gas, so wouldn't react in plain water. The cream of tartar in baking powder provides the needed acidity, rather than just being a filler or for taste reasons, no?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
^^^ Yeah. I put bicarb for brevity, but it was baking powder we (my dad & I) tried.  Still didn't work. Maybe a drop of vinegar in the water would've helped.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Odd things that people complain about: There was a woman on yesterday's ride who always rides in a random woolly jumper, jeans and trainers (with toe clips). In summer she wears a t-shirt and civilian shorts. Sometimes she rides in hiking boots. I wouldn't like to ride more than ten miles or so in jeans, but she seems to be comfortable riding all day like that. But yesterday she was wearing cycling tights. Gore Bike Wear, no less! She said the saddle had worn a hole in her jeans and she'd been getting cold in them. Now she can save them for gardening. So far, so good. But she also said she'd been getting complaints about her trousers flapping around; she tucks the ends into her socks. Now, that's a bit odd. I wouldn't like the ends of my trousers flapping around (and I wouldn't like them tucked into my socks either; I favour a slapwrap when I ride in jeans) but why would you be bothered by someone else's trousers? It's not even that her trouser-ends were causing delays; she's as quick as anyone else in that group (and stronger up hills) and I don't recall one single incident of them getting caught in her chain.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather

Does bicarb emit CO2 when put in water? I thought the point about baking powder was that it was a mixture of acid & alkali powders that only react when in solution. I recall the same submarines working OK.

Of course, T42 grew up in NI and their baking powder may have been doctored to prevent explosions...  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ian

I had one of those submarines. After a few successful test missions in the bath, I took it down the canal for its first proper mission.

It didn't come back.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Does bicarb emit CO2 when put in water? I thought the point about baking powder was that it was a mixture of acid & alkali powders that only react when in solution. I recall the same submarines working OK.

Of course, T42 grew up in NI and their baking powder may have been doctored to prevent explosions...  :P

Right enough, my mum was adept at turning out what we called Valley Cakes.

yes, all very confusing, and then there are those colleges which appear both at Cambridge and Oxford to add even more.

She's still wanting to go to Cambridge (only 12 at the moment), which would be handy to keep the accommodation fees down.

Ah, except for the archaic rules of "keeping term" which state that undergrads need to be in residence (within three miles of St Mary's Church) for at least 59 nights in Michaelmas and Lent terms and 52 nights in the Easter Term.  Of course this is just a ruse to twist your arm into paying the exorbitant Cambridge rents, most of which go straight into the Colleges' pockets...  Apparently it can be quite awkward to get your degree if they get wind of you not keeping term.

(According to bikehike, my fourth year digs were 2.95 miles out of town...)

Hope that your daughter had a good time!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The missus gave me a dead cat for me burfday:

ElyDave

Annual trip to Middlesbrough, means I get to use the transporter bridge again :thumbsup:

I was all set to buy a dynohub wheel at the weekend (I need a new rear for the inbred anyway). Now I think I've changed my mind. Not getting involved in LEL means I'll probably do less night riding and buy fewer batteries, so I just can't justify the cost to myself.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
One of those days where you go into a music shop to look at some second hand PA equipment and end up having a discussion with the proprietor on the merits of curly stays on a Hetchins and wasn't T. G. Hall in Gloucester the best bike shop evah.  :D
216km from Marsh Gibbon

I had one of those submarines. After a few successful test missions in the bath, I took it down the canal for its first proper mission.

It didn't come back.
The canal never gives anything back.
Trufax.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Apart from Basil.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs

Apart from Basil.
And Regulator

They walk among us, the retuned from the deep muddy canals <insert spooky music>
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Basil, The Man Who Came Out of the Canal
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

I have always held deep reservations about both of those individuals  :P

ElyDave

Ah, except for the archaic rules of "keeping term" which state that undergrads need to be in residence (within three miles of St Mary's Church) for at least 59 nights in Michaelmas and Lent terms and 52 nights in the Easter Term.  Of course this is just a ruse to twist your arm into paying the exorbitant Cambridge rents, most of which go straight into the Colleges' pockets...  Apparently it can be quite awkward to get your degree if they get wind of you not keeping term.

(According to bikehike, my fourth year digs were 2.95 miles out of town...)

Hope that your daughter had a good time!

Yes, she very much enjoyed it thanks, plus lunch at the Rainbow Café afterwards.  As a typical 12 year old though, when asked
"what did you do?"
the reply is normally "stuff",
"so you enjoyed it then?" 
"yeah, it was all right"

I thought that was just first year you had to be in halls? What about mature students who might commute in?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
You know what I like about Llan-dismal?  The nearest canal is lots of miles away.   :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.