Author Topic: ACME Club Run, (open to all)  (Read 19874 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Club Run, (open to all)
« Reply #75 on: 09 December, 2022, 08:35:45 am »
Family get-together tomorrow, so I'm not riding.  :(

We did some Christmas shopping at the Blue Egg yesterday - their heating was definitely turned down and we kept our big coats on for elevenses.

Cosy café recomendations?

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #76 on: 09 December, 2022, 11:37:24 am »
I'll be in Norfolk tomorrow.

« Reply #77 on: 09 December, 2022, 02:05:16 pm »
I am up in town for a festive beer or three and a catch-up with ex Uni friends so no club run for me this week.

« Reply #78 on: 09 December, 2022, 06:11:51 pm »
How about the Barn Cafe, Stanway?
I haven't been there, but I have heard good reports.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #79 on: 15 December, 2022, 08:52:43 am »
Saturday morning is ok for me this week. I think it'll have to be a gritted route, so A/B roads mainly. Up to Finchinghfield or Bardfield would be a reasonable 40 mile route, with just the delights of Braintree to contend with. Otherwise, I see it's gritted almost all the way down to the end of Woodrolfe Quay at Tollesbury, so there's the Tollesbury Café there, as well as 'Tea By The Sea' in the old sail loft. Via Heybridge or Tiptree that's about a 30 mile round trip.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #80 on: 16 December, 2022, 10:29:58 am »
Think I have too much to get through this weekend to spend even just a morning out on the bike  :'(
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #81 on: 16 December, 2022, 02:45:00 pm »
I need some fresh air and a stretch of the cycling muscles: at every opportunity I've been walking in the snow this week.

I'll head down to the 'spoons for breakfast anyway and then to Tollesbury.

« Reply #82 on: 16 December, 2022, 07:02:55 pm »
I could really do with burning of a few calories and reminding the legs how to move but it’s currently-8c and foggy outside my house.  I will leave the decision til morning.  If I head out, I will be the one wrapped up in every layer I own.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: 17 December, 2022, 02:52:35 pm »
I was the club run! Cold enough for beardy icicles on the pre-dawn ride into Witham for breakfast. A lovely dawn with hoar-frosted trees. Too early by 20 minutes for 'Tea by the Sea' at Woodrolfe Quay, so onwards to Tiptree Jam Factory cafe and a bit of Christmas shopping too.

Merino buff over ears and under my woolly hat, triple layers on arms and legs, with in addition a thin bodywarmer under the windproof. Ski mitts to start with, but crab-claws after elevenses and then shed a few other layers as it seemed just above freezing by then. Home for lunch, 60 miles exactly. Christmas decorations going up this afternoon.

« Reply #84 on: 17 December, 2022, 04:01:55 pm »
Chapeau Tomsk.  I have to admit that when I pushed back the covers this morning and saw the minimum temperature overnight had dipped the wrong side of -10c, I realised I didn’t own enough winter cycling gear, wimped out and went back for another hour or two under the covers.  I kind of regretted it when I did surface and saw the blue skies, and sun glinting off the snow but you were probably already breakfasting in ‘spoons by then.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #85 on: 17 December, 2022, 05:22:11 pm »
 :thumbsup: On every little uphill, I could feel the ice thawing a bit on my chin, then re-freezing as I dipped into the next cold hollow. Weird sensation! As I de-frosted in the 'spoons I could finally tease the icicles out. After that it was quite a balmy day, but there was even a little bit of frost and ice down in the creek.

« Reply #86 on: 17 December, 2022, 05:40:32 pm »
The weather was odd last night.  I had to drop Mrs JellyLegs to, and later collect from, her work’s Xmas bash in Dunmow.  Leaden to Dunmow saw conditions go from a light haze to thick but short lived fog and back to a cloudless star filled sky with an associated 4-5c drop in temperature in the fog banks. And each of the 4 trips along the road found the fog in different spots.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #87 on: 28 December, 2022, 04:40:58 pm »
This Saturday, the morning is definitely the better section of the day according to the latest forecast. I may be out for a ride then ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: 30 December, 2022, 03:15:57 pm »
Tomorrow's weather is looking a bit iffy, though very mild, but I will probably still ride over to Witham, in case anyone else is out.

« Reply #89 on: 30 December, 2022, 05:53:40 pm »
If there is a breakfast meet, I will also head over to Witham but there and back will do me  :facepalm:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #90 on: 30 December, 2022, 07:06:29 pm »
If there is a breakfast meet, I will also head over to Witham but there and back will do me  :facepalm:

I'll be at the 'spoons for breakfast and take it from there.

« Reply #91 on: 30 December, 2022, 08:24:30 pm »
I think I could make it for breakfast, the amount I ride might be determined by the weather!

« Reply #92 on: 30 December, 2022, 11:25:21 pm »
I have checked the forecast again.  I will be staying in bed.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #93 on: 04 January, 2023, 06:41:38 pm »
Saturday morning forecast looks to be a wash out this week, Sunday morning instead??

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #94 on: 04 January, 2023, 07:11:07 pm »
Good idea Batman.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #95 on: 06 January, 2023, 05:35:16 pm »
Saturday morning forecast looks to be a wash out this week, Sunday morning instead??

Actually yes to Sunday for me, as I can't make it tomorrow anyway - we're off to see my niece in London. Anyone like to step up and route us around 20 miles to their favourite café?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #96 on: 06 January, 2023, 07:04:45 pm »
Would something like this suit for Sunday? https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41728834
Going Northish to Gosfield Lake cafe or a couple of other possible options in Greenstead Green. Untried route and cafes, but Google says they are open.
Parts of the route are a bit urban and possible TT on busy bits, won't be offended if there are other suggestions!

« Reply #97 on: 06 January, 2023, 07:17:39 pm »
What time do you meet for these? I assume it's a spoons start? I'd like to come along. Weather permitting!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #98 on: 06 January, 2023, 07:34:53 pm »
Usually aim for 9:30ish departure from Witham ‘spoons after optional breakfast, get to a cafe for elevensies

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #99 on: 06 January, 2023, 07:54:47 pm »
Huggy's route looks great to me - Greenstead Green café is good, but I haven't been to Gosfield Lake before, so that tempts me. (I'll probably peel off for home somewhere around Braintree.)