Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134507 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14350 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:20:06 am »
non-cycling fettle, after a brief gust of motivation

« Reply #14351 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:28:26 am »
A few years ago my Seiko SKX007 stopped working. I did the obvious checks (rotor movement for winding etc), then put it into a drawer meaning to get it fixed and just wore my non-divers Seiko 5.

I know there is an active Seiko modding community, and I just became aware that a common modification for these is to replace the 7s26 movement with an NH36/4S36 one, to give the option to hand wind in addition to automatic winding, and also it's a hacking movement (you pull the crown out to adjust the time and it stops the second hand to allow you to set it precisely, whereas the 7S26 has a bit of a knack to doing that as you have to stall the movement with a delicate crown operation so I never bothered).

Anyway, decided to give this a go, and the cost of tooling up (hand puller and setter, dial guard etc) was less than having somebody do it (about £80-£120 to have it done by someone, including parts). Remove the back, remove the crown, drop the mechanism, pull the hands, remove the dial, remove the day wheel (as the new mechanism was set for 3 o'clock crown rather than 4 o'clock so the day would be slightly misaligned in the window), swap the day wheel onto the new mechanism, then rebuild. Also needed to put a new crown in, as the stem is different on the NH36,  which meant some careful cutting down of the new stem and cleaning the threads to go into the new crown.

About an hour of fettling, and the watch is running again. Now just need to see how it keeps time and regulate it if needed (I'd got the old mechanism to within a second or two a day). There is now an open source timegrapher application (Tg - https://tg.ciovil.li/ ) to save some of the "tweak it and run it for a day" that I did with the old one.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14352 on: 26 March, 2020, 12:22:15 pm »
cleaned and lubricated the internals of my track pump after about ten years of use, as smooth as new.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14353 on: 27 March, 2020, 01:00:00 pm »
We fettled a new headset onto my Roberts. Initially tried getting the old one off with judicious tapping with a (crap) screwdriver and hammer but that was getting nowhere. Just as we were about to be all sad about the likely wait to get it done in a bike shop, I espied a curtain pole (not just any curtain pole, but a John Lewis curtain pole), still unused in its box and thought, that'll never work, will it?

2020-03-27_12-37-23 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Bingo! And there was much rejoicing in the Pingu Towers shedde.  :D

Although there was a slight heart stopping moment a bit later when we found that our headset press was only just long enough...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14354 on: 27 March, 2020, 01:29:05 pm »
Well done!

I like the shower fitting (top left).
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14355 on: 27 March, 2020, 01:32:12 pm »
 ;D

I even felt moved to go and post a tongue in cheek review of the pole on the John Lewis website. Hopefully it will cheer someone up a bit in these weird times.

« Reply #14356 on: 27 March, 2020, 01:49:37 pm »
Linky please !!
Rust never sleeps

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14357 on: 27 March, 2020, 02:02:40 pm »
substantial shedde for a wee flat  :thumbsup:

My toolbox has several odd sized pieces of tubing, bearings for the knocking in of
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14358 on: 27 March, 2020, 02:15:44 pm »
New gear cable in the right hand shifter of my titanium bike (it was frayed at both ends).
Also fitted new cable adjusters on both sides and indexed the gears.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14359 on: 27 March, 2020, 02:23:56 pm »
Linky please !!

When the John Lewis elves have approved it I shall.

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-steel-curtain-pole-l120cm-x-dia-28mm/p231622045

substantial shedde for a wee flat  :thumbsup:

The shed and the loft was pretty well the clincher when we bought it.

Rust never sleeps

ElyDave

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14362 on: 27 March, 2020, 10:56:14 pm »
:D

ElyDave

« Reply #14363 on: 28 March, 2020, 05:58:08 am »
fettled the gears on the road bike yesterday, I can now get all three chainrings and all ten sprockets

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14364 on: 28 March, 2020, 12:06:42 pm »
Looking at the Marin I acquired yesterday (see Coronabonus thread), the front V brake was binding.  Further examination revealed one of the lateral adjustment screws had a stripped thread, or more accurately the casting it screws into had stripped. It's an M3 hex head. Some looking through various tool boxes last night managed to tun up an M4 tap and 3.something mm drill. Found a just about suitable screw this morning. Applied drill, wound tap in using pliers as I couldn't find a tap wrench. Screw screws in and stays there. Reassembled brake. Hurrah!.

Need to find an air shock pump so the suspension will cope with my leisure based figure.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #14365 on: 28 March, 2020, 02:16:54 pm »
Two NHS workers' bikes over the last couple of days.

Both hybrids. One in pretty good nick - all it needed was gear adjustment tuning (it was shipping the chain on the rear block) and the tyres pumping up to pressure. The other was a bit older - gear tuning perfect, but brakes needed adjusting, handlebar end stops required, tyres needed more air and the chain stay bridge mudguard retention screw had unscrewed to the point it was rubbing on the tyre. Rack bolts needed tightening too.

Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14366 on: 28 March, 2020, 02:52:52 pm »
Chopped some weeds out of the gardenette.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14367 on: 29 March, 2020, 12:31:38 pm »
In a Dig for Victory kind of way, this morning I took some turf off the West Lawn and planted some seed potatoes.

Last night I cleaned my King Dick.

« Reply #14368 on: 29 March, 2020, 12:50:19 pm »
Removed mudguards from Bob Jackson and fitted new tyres - Jack Brown Mile Munchers, which suit the bike well if I say so myself.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14369 on: 29 March, 2020, 04:41:06 pm »
Replaced the chain (well past 1% wear), cassette and mudguards (cracked bracket) on HK's Kinesis.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #14370 on: 29 March, 2020, 05:38:25 pm »
The rear gear cable on my Equilibrium, after fitting a Wolf Tooth thingummy.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14371 on: 29 March, 2020, 06:41:08 pm »
We didn't fettle the ancient liquidiser because the replacement seals that arrived for it yesterday aren't an exact fit.
Weekend number 2 without a piña colada  :'(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14372 on: 29 March, 2020, 07:41:37 pm »
Hoovered the bathroom extractor fan and poked its furred up bits with an old mudguard stay.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #14373 on: 29 March, 2020, 09:14:23 pm »
Normally run a single speed cog on my bike that infrequently ends up in my turbo trainer. However the resistance adjustment is broken on the turbo trainer so decided it was as easy to swap the cassette from the road going wheel to the turbo wheel then swap the tyres

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14374 on: 29 March, 2020, 09:54:02 pm »
My desktop computer (xbuntu) packed up last night, culminating in no booting up attempt of any sort.

Investigation this morning, after I removed All of The Dust showed the input fuse in the PSU was open circuit.  I diodn't have a spare, but did have a spare, unused W10 desktop. Swapped the discs out of the U/S machine into the spare. Plugged it in and it all sparked up. I'll take that as a win.