Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 88411 times)

ian

Re: Beer!
« Reply #250 on: 24 March, 2017, 09:51:30 pm »
Well, she was supposed to come home but claims to have been abducted. Hmm.

On the plus side, to continue my theme of geographical incongruity, I'll be drinking Belgian beer in, erm, Philadelphia tomorrow night. I also emailed some requests to the hotel (and told them to polish my bike).

In the meantime, a Beavertown Applelation which is like cider for grown ups.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #251 on: 24 March, 2017, 10:09:26 pm »
I shall be in the centre of Oslo on Sunday night if anyone can recommend somewhere for a swift half and some food.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #252 on: 24 March, 2017, 10:13:07 pm »
Oslo = take your card with the biggest over-draught limit with you. erm for a place to drink, dunno been way too long a time since I have been there and spending £13 on two schooners.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ian

« Reply #253 on: 24 March, 2017, 10:28:11 pm »
Given the £ to $ exchange rate, those $13 Belgian dubbels and tripels are going to thump home like Rocky's right hook.

For Oslo:

Olympen Mat og Vinhus – interesting beer selection (best to ask, it's never what they say it is) in interesting surroundings.

Håndverketstuene (I had to Google that) - beer and beer food.

Schouskjelleren Mikrobryggeri. It's spelled exactly the same after you've been there.

There's a goodly number of Oslo craft beeriums these days.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #254 on: 24 March, 2017, 10:28:43 pm »
Hence the swift half. Work is paying but I can't take the piss too much!

Thanks Ian, I'll take a look.

ian

« Reply #255 on: 24 March, 2017, 10:35:34 pm »
Expenses will indeed soften Rocky's blows. Plus my boss will be buying. It's the rulez.

She's still drinking beer so I'm calling it a session. One more. That was hours ago. There's two cans of Northern Monk Tropical Death Party in the fridge (a double pina colada black IPA with coconut and pineapple weighing in at 10% apparently). Sounds awesome. I should ensure it's securely stowed in my belly.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #256 on: 24 March, 2017, 10:42:23 pm »
A couple of nice Rob Hill beers yesterday: Scapa Special and Pale Ale  :P

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #257 on: 24 March, 2017, 10:48:19 pm »
Oh Ian, you are an excellently bad man, they are all within 15mins walk of my hotel. I hope both of my colleagues are up for beer....

ian

« Reply #258 on: 24 March, 2017, 11:31:09 pm »
The hotel just emailed me to say they've stocked up my fridge. May as well make them work for those gratuitous tips.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #259 on: 25 March, 2017, 10:12:26 pm »
Adnams Broadside this evening. Nice and rich porter. Thinking whether to flavour mine with coffee or star anise
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #260 on: 30 March, 2017, 06:10:13 pm »

Olympen Mat og Vinhus – interesting beer selection (best to ask, it's never what they say it is) in interesting surroundings.

We all liked it and the resident foodie was well impressed! Some pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_pingus/shares/C14X89

« Reply #261 on: 30 March, 2017, 08:38:09 pm »
Brighton Tap Takeover this weekend which should be jolly. Was rather good fun last year.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #262 on: 30 March, 2017, 09:11:22 pm »

We all liked it and the resident foodie was well impressed! Some pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_pingus/shares/C14X89

Good. It's one of my favourites, eclectic beer in eclectic surroundings. In the meantime, this is what I've been doing.

ElyDave

« Reply #263 on: 30 March, 2017, 09:48:13 pm »
Doesn't seem much of dark stuff there, lots of blond belgians

ian

« Reply #264 on: 30 March, 2017, 09:53:57 pm »
It varies, it's one of my favourite places in Philadelphia and around the corner from the hotel I usually stay at. Saisons are in vogue at the moment everywhere (I'm not complaining).

That final Pliny the Elder did seemed a far better idea the night before the morning after.

« Reply #265 on: 02 April, 2017, 01:37:36 pm »
I've been mining a rich vein of craft beers this weekend.

It started with Cloudwater Pale. Faultless. Then a local brew, Deya Steady Rolling Man, just a bit better. More body, livelier.

And now. OMBMFG. I've died and gone to heaven. Tiny Rebels Clwb Tropicana. Beer that tastes like Benylin. And I fucking love Benylin.

« Reply #266 on: 07 April, 2017, 01:07:23 am »
Having been notified of this cheeky little 11.5% number in the pub at Tewkesbury, tonight's ride (40 m there, 17 back) was a sampling mission, since I didn't expect it would last until Saturday.  [edit: first pint 18:00 Thursday, final pint 12:00 Friday, according to report]

(Howling Hops Imperial stout)
Very nom nom.
What I didn't understand was how a couple of the others could say that it didn't taste its strength, when it took me 2h40 for 2 pints.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #267 on: 07 April, 2017, 10:07:15 pm »
Had some nice beers with that ElyDave that they have nowadays in Six Degrees North on Wednesday night:

Black Lodge Amos the Nipper - roasted fig porter
6DN Equinox
De Ranke XX Bitter

All rather nommy  :P

ElyDave

« Reply #268 on: 08 April, 2017, 10:30:11 am »
they were very good.

I started with the Wanderlust Wheatbeer which was pleasantly fragrant and hoppy
I had the same porter which was excellent

The XX Bitter  - that takes a bit of getting used to, I think they emptied the hop cupboard for that one.

And nice to meet up with one of the Pingu's

ian

« Reply #269 on: 08 April, 2017, 05:27:20 pm »
I had half a pint of mild last night (the splendidly named Born to be Mild). That was a blast of nostalgia, reminded of nights out with my grandparents when I was little to the local football club where I'd get cheeky sips of my granddad's pint. Mind you, while it wasn't bad, I can see why it's not the most exciting beer on the block.

Plenty of Rascal, Lake Street (a black rice IPA), Wolf, Milou, and several others courtesy of Bullfinch in Herne Hill. If you're ever in the area or having a stroll around Brockwell Park, it's well worth a visit. Excellent beer in a chilled out railway arch and they've got a sleepy dog called Dexter. I'm not sure, tbh, that's it's a real dog as I've never seen it actually move. Canopy is just down the road, but it's closer to the station and a bit louder and I don't find their beer (while not bad) quite as good.

Tonight I'm going out in Croydon (as my wife has a concert at the minster), so wish me luck. The Croydon craft beer scene is, erm, not exactly happening. There's the Cronx in the Box Park that does some good guest beers and that's about that to the best of my knowledge.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #270 on: 08 April, 2017, 09:38:05 pm »
We are currently drinking Burning Sky Cuvee. It's frikkin awesome!  This may or may not be due to it being a very tired post 200km beer.

« Reply #271 on: 08 April, 2017, 09:48:23 pm »
Just drunk a pint of Sweaty Cassock's 'Ooh you are awful!'

Light notes of citrus, honey, asafoetida and tar.

ElyDave

« Reply #272 on: 09 April, 2017, 08:27:31 pm »
Out on the road bike this evening, I stopped in at the Draymans in Ely. A pint of Coal Line Porter went down very easily, lots of nice fruitiness an a hint of chocolate, just like a porter should have

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #273 on: 09 April, 2017, 11:20:22 pm »
Blasts from the past at Brewdog Castlegate today: The Physics, Hop Rocker and original Punk (6%, not dry hopped).

ian

« Reply #274 on: 10 April, 2017, 12:01:53 pm »
We are currently drinking Burning Sky Cuvee. It's frikkin awesome!  This may or may not be due to it being a very tired post 200km beer.

Nope, it is in fact awesome.