Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 87301 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Beer!
« Reply #575 on: 06 August, 2018, 04:41:34 pm »
Just read that a pint of is > £6 in many London pubs now. That's just mad !

Just another reason not to bother going (though I will be going to Norway for a few weeks next year...and will be dreaming of good old budget London prices).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

ian

« Reply #576 on: 06 August, 2018, 06:46:38 pm »
Just read that a pint of is > £6 in many London pubs now. That's just mad !

That's cheap. For good stuff.

Tbh, they cherry-pick the top price and go 'that's everywhere in London,' which it isn't. Yeah, buying a bottle of Heineken at some nightclub or a roof top bar is going to be expensive (£4.50 for a can of Punk at Bar Elba and you'd don't even get a meet-n-greet with Napoleon). Plus comparing a barrel-aged 13% barley wine with a pint of Stella isn't a fair price comparison. The former might set you back £15-20 a pint but then you're not going to be ordering pints. I hope.

« Reply #577 on: 07 August, 2018, 08:15:11 am »

A disappointment. Tasted as if it had chemical additives in it, hint was in the name, I suppose.

I would have put it down to barrel dregs, but apparently it was a new barrel and according to the legend on the label, is meant to be cloudy. I persisted for almost half before giving up. Possibly the first time ever for a pint that wasn't "bad", maybe it was.

ian

« Reply #578 on: 07 August, 2018, 08:25:27 am »
On a cycling theme Verdant's Maybe One More PSI is a lush boozy smoothie. Popped a can last night as it was a birthday and well, if needs must. I've had it before and it's definitely one of the best DIPAs, up there with better effort of Cloudwater.

Though if you like murky, dank DIPAs, check out Other Half Brewing in NYC. It's well worth a visit to their tap room. Then do KCBC. Hic.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #579 on: 07 August, 2018, 08:31:30 pm »
Argyll brewery Jarl, light, hoppy, sessionable

Vital Spark, same outfit, dark and rich. Worth finding, not sure if they travel
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #580 on: 07 August, 2018, 08:34:56 pm »
Argyll brewery Jarl, light, hoppy, sessionable

Vital Spark, same outfit, dark and rich. Worth finding, not sure if they travel

Jarl and Avalanche are often found in Krakatoa in FurryBootToon  :thumbsup:

« Reply #581 on: 08 August, 2018, 10:38:21 am »
Last night I had a bottle of Vedett Extra Blond with my tea. Smashing ! I think this may be my new favorite pilsner type beer. Nice bottle as well.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #582 on: 09 August, 2018, 08:30:45 pm »
Tonight, now returned home with sore legs, a St Peters Plum Porter, first time I'd seem this one.

Smells very jammy, damson-ish, rich and sweet, almost like a fruit juice with very little hoppiness. Quite pleasant.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #583 on: 22 August, 2018, 06:37:40 pm »
Fullers 1845 currently on special offer in Southend Waitrose - 3 bottles for £5. It's years since I have seen 1845 on sale in WR. Last time I bought some was on an even better offer (4 for £6) at Asda's in Chepstow, at The Things' camping weekend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ian

« Reply #584 on: 23 August, 2018, 01:16:27 am »
Alas, there are only six breweries and taprooms within a 5 minute walk of my hotel.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #585 on: 25 August, 2018, 10:42:04 am »
Alas, there are only six breweries and taprooms within a 5 minute walk of my hotel.
:thumbsup:
However, from the sort of opposite point of view - I was playing in a "sports bar" last night (The Ashes in Maidstone, if anyone's interested) and, in common with sports bars everywhere (AFAICT) it served 5 kinds of shit lager and 1 fizzy 'bitter' (Tetleys Smooth). Is it a fact that folk who go to pubs to watch sport only like shit lager? Why? What's the link? Anyway, it ensured that I made 1 pint of St Miguel last all evening.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #586 on: 26 August, 2018, 03:45:04 pm »
Wimbledon brewery do some great stuff. Its not crazy and out there but it is consistently good and they are a great bunch with it. They make my favourite beer- their Copper (in cans) is superb. Fruity, light and with just the right amount of bitterness to drink 2-3 without much effort.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #587 on: 26 August, 2018, 03:54:51 pm »
I spend a few hours in Leeds yesterday and visited a place or two - North Bar, North Brewery, Belgrave Music Hall, Head of Steam and Brew Dog. Sadly the two we tried in Brew Dog were the two most boring of all the ales we sampled.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #588 on: 26 August, 2018, 07:00:17 pm »
However, from the sort of opposite point of view - I was playing in a "sports bar" last night (The Ashes in Maidstone, if anyone's interested) and, in common with sports bars everywhere (AFAICT) it served 5 kinds of shit lager and 1 fizzy 'bitter' (Tetleys Smooth). Is it a fact that folk who go to pubs to watch sport only like shit lager? Why? What's the link? Anyway, it ensured that I made 1 pint of St Miguel last all evening.

There's a tendency for them to like shit politics as well, I think.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ian

« Reply #589 on: 29 August, 2018, 06:42:45 pm »

Being married to a musician who occasionally does gigs at similar places, I can vouch for the shit pub beer phenomenon. Whoo, Fosters, Stella, Carlsberg, Carling and Carling Ice, you spoil me! Or the more extravagant selections of Budweiser and Coors, probably all brewed in Milton Keynes or somewhere equally exotic. OK, it probably is more exotic than Milwaukee.

There's something grim about ending up having to buy a £6 pint of Peroni just because it's the least worst option.

I will say that on Sunday night we shouldn't have finished on the barrel-aged barleywine and the double IPA, but hey, the barman was buying...

« Reply #590 on: 30 August, 2018, 11:58:51 pm »
A pint of Backyard Brewery Mandarin, and a pint of Titanic Stout. The former was nice enough, and the stout was excellent.

« Reply #591 on: 31 August, 2018, 06:34:58 am »
Mini beer festival on Brighton Pier last night. 8 breweries each with a couple taps and some bottles/cans.

The first one I had, a cherry sour from the North Laine brewery was absolutely delicious.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #592 on: 11 September, 2018, 06:34:23 pm »
Has anyone tried any of the new low/no alcohol beers? In particular Adnams' Ghost Ship 0.5% (the full fat one is lovely).

A few ratings in this article: Love lager – but want to drink less? Adrian Chiles’s guide to great alcohol-free beers

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/sep/09/adrian-chiles-top-10-alcohol-free-beers?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #593 on: 11 September, 2018, 06:44:51 pm »
I have that article book marked. We have a case of Nanny State in the beer cellar for isotonic purposes or that last drink before bed I would normally regret. Been meaning to try some others but not got round to ordering any yet.
Tried the 0.5% raspberry one from Brewdog a few weeks ago but wasn't that impressed as it didn't seem like beer.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #594 on: 11 September, 2018, 06:49:19 pm »
The Erdinger one is OK.

ian

« Reply #595 on: 11 September, 2018, 07:05:16 pm »
I personally don't particularly like them. It, at best, tastes like alcohol-free beer and frankly there's better tasting things that are alcohol-free. Possibly I have PTSD after inadvertently drinking some alcohol-free Bitburger the other year and it tasted so weird it came out of my nose at some velocity. Even more of the problem for the other side of the table who received a faceful of the fizzy nasal ejaculate. That's probably not a phrase you ever want to Google.

There's quite a few 2.8 per cent beers I like, and session beers in general. I think it's actually more skilful to make a good low ABV beer than a nuclear hop bomb.

I did the Beavertown Extravaganza at the weekend which was quite nice – only a couple of brewers had bailed, so there was plenty of selection. I had to adjust the world's vertical hold several times on the way home. Everyone, of course, queues at the popular places, so we made a point of visiting the lesser-visited stands. I'd recount what I drank but I was, of course, drinking.

Next weekend, we'll be swapping craft for cask as there's a beer festival nearby. It's good excuse to wander through Downe, taking the opportunity to piss on Farage's fence on the way. I'd do it more voluminously on the way home too, but we live in the other direction.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #596 on: 16 September, 2018, 07:35:19 pm »
Brew York - Rhubarbra Streisand.
I really like rhubarb, but I've yet to find a rhubarb beer I like much. This one is a bit fake tasting. And my gods, the smell was vile when first poured from the can, though it seems to have dissipated now. I think maybe I should stop trying rhubarb beers.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #597 on: 16 September, 2018, 08:20:53 pm »
There's a beer festival in Carmarthen in a couple of weeks.  Of course there's a bus from the village organised. I keep having to tell people that ' No thanks, I don't want a seat.'
I just don't get beer festivals. You walk in. There's eleventy hundred beers that you've never heard of.  I have quite a low tolerance,  so will only be able to try a several of halves.  The chances of finding one I like early on is not very likely.
I'd much rather sit in my favourite pub and drink stuff I know I like.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #598 on: 17 September, 2018, 10:42:56 am »
Well, craft-beer festivals are a good excuse to try a wide range of beers. Barrel-aged mead, anyone? I did. A lot of it isn't something you'll readily find in the shops, so it's a bit of an adventure.

The cask beer ones (like I went to on Saturday) are a bit duller, the beer is a bit samey and the staff have to explain that the one cloudy beer isn't poisonous, it's mostly just an excuse to end a long walk with several beers and some cheese rock on a 'village' green. Most of the interesting sounding stuff had run out. As had the bread which meant I had to have a cup full of sausages with mustard in the bottom. It'll be a hipster trend shortly.

ian

« Reply #599 on: 22 September, 2018, 08:33:51 pm »
A Loka Polly Simcoe DDH Pale Ale. Apparently brewed in an old stable in Mold. Who knew. Sounded like it came from Finland or somesuch.

Rather spiffing, doesn't overdo the hops, but matches a good IPA without the epic ABV. Which means I can have another. Yes, I've been shopping.