Author Topic: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes  (Read 231323 times)

Re: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes
« Reply #75 on: 09 September, 2012, 11:03:49 pm »
Bridge over the Loire, France. Touring back from the Semaine Federale in Niort to catch the ferry in St Malo.
Orbit Pegasus Sport 700c tandem.
Caradice Super-C panniers. Front rack is Tubus low rider.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #76 on: 09 September, 2012, 11:15:54 pm »
Note the flesh-coloured aircraft about to crash into the bridge at the top left of the first photo.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #77 on: 09 September, 2012, 11:23:27 pm »
Note the flesh-coloured aircraft about to crash into the bridge at the top left of the first photo.  ;D

Yes, I have mad photography skillz. I tend to forget which corner of my iphone the lens is in  ;D

plum

« Reply #78 on: 10 September, 2012, 04:41:12 pm »
Schoolboy error there. In any situation which requires queuing, especially at ports and the like, always ride nonchalantly to the front and park up as if you own the place. First on first off is your right.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #79 on: 11 September, 2012, 12:17:02 am »
Schoolboy error there. In any situation which requires queuing, especially at ports and the like, always ride nonchalantly to the front and park up as if you own the place. First on first off is your right.

Bikes first on with the Calmac Stornoway - Ullapool sailing but always last off. Never bothered me as the cars are up the road and there isn't a constant stream of traffic passing you for the first few miles.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #80 on: 11 September, 2012, 09:04:11 am »
Our beast of burden at the seaside

fb043 by marcus_jb1973, on Flickr

Our beast of burden on it's way up into the hills

fb076 by marcus_jb1973, on Flickr

We are working on travelling lighter. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LEE

« Reply #81 on: 11 September, 2012, 09:52:23 am »
1280m? Looks like it were a grand ride down though Marcus.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #82 on: 11 September, 2012, 10:17:38 am »
1280m? Looks like it were a grand ride down though Marcus.

Not at that point - dropped a couple of hundred metres before heading up to 1500ish.  To reach that point, we'd climbed very gradually for just over 40km.

The high point of the trip (on bikes) was 1609 metres on the Puerto De San Glorio - and that was a heck of a descent (20 odd km back down to 300m).  Hot discs and frazzled riders at the end of that!

Picos De Europa - highly recommended touring country.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #83 on: 18 September, 2012, 12:45:01 pm »
You may think you've seen this before:

Not quite.  This is two-speed cycle touring:
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #84 on: 18 September, 2012, 01:23:06 pm »
I like the idea of taking plant pots with you - it's nice to have an aesthetic home touch!  ;D

Serious question - what made you decide to put the pump on the seat tube cage rather than the down tube? I ask out of curiousity because I have the same model of pump but have always carried it on the down tube cage bosses.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #85 on: 18 September, 2012, 03:37:18 pm »
Originally, there was only one bottle cage on this bike, and the Topeak Road Morphe bracket on the seat tube.  When the Orbit died, and I needed to tourify this bike, I added another cage, and moved the better pump over from the Orbit.  No other reason, I believe.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #86 on: 18 September, 2012, 07:34:19 pm »
Thanks, makes sense! I'm glad to hear you reckon the Lezyne is a better pump than the Road Morphe as I almost went for that instead. Obviously you have used both so I can rest assured the extra £ was worth it! (though in fact I got it at a discount anyway and it worked out about the same)

Disappointed not to hear an exquisitely reasoned ergonomic advantage though.  :D

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #87 on: 18 September, 2012, 08:32:03 pm »

1 Aug 2012 10:01 by saoirse.davis, on Flickr

This is about as heavily loaded as I travel.  I rarely use my front pannier rack.  This was as much as I needed on a five week trip around Scotland.  I am intrigued by the other cycle tourists I meet who are loaded front and back, especially when there are two of them loaded thus.  What on earth have you got in there?  And trailers, goodness me!  I only use my trailer to transport items of furniture, or, more usually, the Lewisham Cyclists stall, gazebo and huge piles of cyclist stationary and propaganda etc to various summer fairs.  I have never carried enough when touring to fill a trailer, even in the days when I had children with me.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #88 on: 18 September, 2012, 08:37:13 pm »

Bikes first on with the Calmac Stornoway - Ullapool sailing but always last off. Never bothered me as the cars are
up the road and there isn't a constant stream of traffic passing you for the first few miles.
In my experience (and I have sailed on quite a few) Calmac ferries generally put bikes on first, off last.  Apparently, they believe it's safer.   The only time (that I remember) it being otherwise was on the little one that goes from Fishnish to Lochaline.  And there were only two cars on it.  And me. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #89 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:01:03 pm »
This is about as heavily loaded as I travel.  I rarely use my front pannier rack.  This was as much as I needed on a five week trip around Scotland.  I am intrigued by the other cycle tourists I meet who are loaded front and back, especially when there are two of them loaded thus.  What on earth have you got in there?  And trailers, goodness me!

To be fair, a pair of front panniers are a legitimate alternative to your tent on the rear rack and bar-bag.  That can give better weight distribution, and not all bikes will take bar-bags.  My standard setup is probably about the same amount of stuff.

I agree that trailers seem too much like faff for touring, though they do make some sense as an alternative to panniers stability-wise on tadpole recumbent trikes, and practicality-wise on tandems.  There's also the use-case where a trailer can enable you to carry touring kit on a non-touring bike, so you've got the right bike for the job when you get wherever you're going.  Oh, and the edge-case where you don't have the dexterity for high-density packing.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #90 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:03:15 pm »
I was last onto the Fishnish-Lochaline ferry during the Mull It Over audax but only because I arrived(with two other yacfers)  literally at the very last minute before it depared Fishnish.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #91 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:08:10 pm »
I liked camping with my trailer, as I only needed to have a saddlebag (and maybe a barbag) on the bike, and no racks.

Packing stuff into the trailer's a doddle.  Especially good if you have a wet tent.

Only downside is using trains.  And that's a biiiig downside.  Though I have been tempted to go for a bike which can fold onto the top of the trailer to treat the whole lot as a big bag for train use...
Getting there...

« Reply #92 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:12:33 pm »
When I used a trailer, I filled it with a porta potty and toilet tent so I still had most of my stuff on the bike. I usually find that whatever space I have, I fill. Any spare space means I take more shoes and blankets. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #93 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:13:31 pm »
I though the idea of using front panniers in addition to rear was to balance the load and have less effect on the bike's handling, rather than to carry more stuff - supposedly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #94 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:16:21 pm »
When I used a trailer, I filled it with a porta potty and toilet tent so I still had most of my stuff on the bike. I usually find that whatever space I have, I fill. Any spare space means I take more shoes and blankets. :)

Hmm.  We need a portaloo (I know a porta potty is something different) onna Carry Freedom pic for the "I carried this on my bike" thread.  I'd settle for a TARDIS.   :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #95 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:18:17 pm »
I though the idea of using front panniers in addition to rear was to balance the load and have less effect on the bike's handling, rather than to carry more stuff - supposedly.

I reckon they're also more train-friendly than a pile of stuff bungeed to the rear rack.  And a good size for day rides.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #96 on: 18 September, 2012, 09:32:33 pm »
My bike felt a lot more comfortable with weight distributed front and rear. Rear only makes the bike incredibly tail heavy.

Also 4 bags is good for a weeks shopping :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #97 on: 19 September, 2012, 06:07:10 am »
I meant to cast no slur upon front bags and trailers.  Great stuff all of it.  Just that I am seriously intrigued by what people carry in them.  Thanks for the insight, Butterfy.  Now I begin to understand!  I once took my friend's daughter away camping with us, years ago.  She proved to be terrified of going to the toilet outside when wild camping.  I think a toilet tent would have been a life saver on that particular trip.   
I agree about the weight distribution.  Indeed, on my the Holdsworth, and an old Orbit Caraway, my previous touring bikes, when climbing steep hills, the front wheel would tend to lift.  When I bought the Roberts, I fitted a front rack, for this reason, intending to use front panniers.  However, I found that it has such a long wheelbase, and the wheels are so tough and heavy I guess,  this doesn't happen.  (I did feel it threatening on Hardknott once, but I had to get off and walk it anyway.  My days of climbing stuff over 29 percent loaded are over, I think)    I  tend to use trains to get to and from touring areas, so I  prefer not to struggle with four bags.  Two is so much simpler.
Four bags for a weeks shopping?  I used to manage the shopping in two Ortliebs.  But we are a small family, I guess.  And we have milk and most veg delivered.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #98 on: 19 September, 2012, 09:27:11 am »
I find rear panniers are fine for normal shopping, but if I'm buying bulky items like toilet rolls then the space availible is important. Also if I have things like fizzy water (which I'm a bit addicted to :-[) then I'd prefer not to overload the rear wheel which already has to deal with rather a lot of me on it.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #99 on: 19 September, 2012, 10:05:57 am »
My days of climbing stuff over 29 percent loaded are over, I think)
Whereas mine are... a complete fiction! I'm impressed at the idea of ever riding such a steep hill, lot alone loaded.

My "trecker" can lift the front wheel even without panniers. Someone said this is because of the suspension forks bouncing on rough surfaces, but they have rather little movement in them so I'm not sure it's that. As for shopping, I find two panniers usually enough, but we're another small family.