Author Topic: Kitten wanted  (Read 8191 times)

Martin

Kitten wanted
« on: 21 April, 2008, 03:41:11 pm »
as yACF seems to be Probably the Most Useful Forum in the World;

10 mins after burying our old (15) black cat last month (croaked whilst I was Up the Uts  :() the boys demanded one (each; but that's another battle)

I really like tabby/white (our old 5 year old one got squished) but torty considered. Preferably not before September and after summer hols as can't be doing with catteries

border-rider

Re: Kitten wanted
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:51:39 pm »
Cats Protection

You get them serviced, polished, neutered & chipped.  Soon it'll be kitten time and they'll be knee-deep in them.  Give them a donation in exchange - they do good work.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:56:01 pm »
But try not to get a feral one.  They're often asked to clear barns by farmers, and feral cats of a few generations (i.e. a few years; they breed like rabbits) can run away at the slightest provocation and/or shred your worldly goods.  Ask about the kitten's origins.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:01:13 pm »
that's my worry with the CPL; Mrs Zoom went to the RSPCA once and it was very scary; they were trying to put people off or palm them off with rescue cats which were on crack; it was an open day and she just went for a look see and they more or less told her to piss off.

Would much rather get a surplus one from someone I knew or at least knew it was from a good home.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:04:47 pm »
It's fine.  Ours came from CPL and they're just lovely.  Kind, well-behaved and affectionate :)

As RZ said, common sense applies - but then it should anyway.  Even kitties from "good homes" can have FILV or cat flu, or behavioural problems.

CPL are a bit more switched on than RSPCA - RSPCA will put animals down if they're poorly or can't be homed quickly; CPL will mend them and make sure they're fit to rehome*

*edit: our Small Fat Cat was terribly ill when CPL rescued her and her bro, and the repair bill was many, many hundreds of pounds - apparently. 

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:14:15 pm »
Thanks; there are a couple of CPL nearby (and near to farms) we'll check them out,

I can tell we will walk out with the first ball of fluff we clap eyes on.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:18:35 pm »
Can I put in a recommendation for the Battersea Cats and Dogs Home?

Montezuma came from there and they are quite, quite lovely.  If the moggy's not A1 tip-top perfect, they'll tell you as much.  Otherwise, it'll come with a chip'n'pin, all it's shots, V5 form, 12 months MOT anna big bag of cat nosh.

Beware, though - the Cats section is packed full of broody lesbians  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:19:26 pm »
All of our moggies have been rescue cats (all from CPL apart from one who got squished).

The latest two are brothers and it's the best thing getting brothers (or sisters), they keep each other company, get on brilliantly (but still play-fight) and also they've stayed kitteny for much longer than previous only-cats.
a great mind thinks alike

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:21:33 pm »

The latest two are brothers and it's the best thing getting brothers (or sisters), they keep each other company, get on brilliantly (but still play-fight)

Ours are bother-and-sister, and they real-fight. 

Martin

« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:37:33 pm »
our old one was a (sort of) rescue cat that had gone from pillar to post courtesy of my brother's first wife and her assorted friends even having run away and got run over; it was 2 when we got it and quite jumpy but he did settle down and become loveable; we (and the boys especially) never bonded with it like we did with a kitten; it was just The Cat. I think it's important to do so.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2008, 07:23:02 pm »
Beware, though - the Cats section is packed full of broody lesbians  :)

CPL volunteers are usually the stereotypical "mad catwoman"; crazy hair, vast bosom, somewhat round in build, wearing a thick ribbed jumper (covered in cat hair) and wellies.  They tend to keep their home addresses secret at first, because otherwise people keep leaving boxes of kittens on their doorstep  :-\
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:06:15 am »
+1 for multiple kittens - two cats are less work than one, because they'll entertain each other when the humans are busy. And cat-interactions are great fun to watch. Even my grumpy old Bearcat, who hates 'most everything, is a happier and chirpier beastie when the other cats are about for her to scowl at.

(I think that n+1 applies to cats as well as bikes, though.)

Martin

« Reply #12 on: 22 April, 2008, 08:26:36 am »
+1 for multiple kittens - two cats are less work than one

but twice as much in vet's bills, food, jabs, catteries, weekend auto-feeders; and once the boys have got bored who's going to feed them?

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:13:48 am »
Economies of scale.  Filling 2 bowls with biccies isn't really any more bother than 1; take both to the vet or their jabs together - saves time, saves consultation fees.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:30:46 am »
Soon it'll be kitten time and they'll be knee-deep in them.

*squee!*

+1 to two kittens.  They'll chase each other down the sofa. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #15 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:47:29 am »
I don't know where you are, but I have to recommend this place

http://mayhewanimalhome.org/

They are very straight with you if an animal has any behavioural probs etc. And you can have a little online browse of the cats available at the moment, as they are pretty good about keeping their site up to date. Like other good places, the cat also comes microchipped/neutered/MOT'd etc.

Elleigh

« Reply #16 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:23:43 pm »
I'm not sure where you are, or if this is any help, but my colleague is looking for homes for 5 beautiful kittens (2 x black and 3 x tabby)

Feel free to PM me if you might be interested.

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:00:39 pm »
I'm not sure where you are, or if this is any help, but my colleague is looking for homes for 5 beautiful kittens (2 x black and 3 x tabby)

Feel free to PM me if you might be interested.

ooh ooh; Jpegs?

(checks your profile, Shropshire, maybe not)

« Reply #18 on: 23 April, 2008, 10:15:35 pm »
The Blue Cross are also excellent for rehoming Cats and Dogs.  I'd use them for my next mog(s), but none of the Blue Cross centres seems to rehome cats in London (or at least not the Croydon part of it anyway).

I got my old cat from the Blue Cross in Burford, and the amount of info they had on each animal was impressive.  They detailed the history where they had it, and what sort of environment the animal needed etc.  Do a google for the Blue Cross website, and see if they have a centre near you.

Some of the CPL groups appear to be similar, although they do seem to be more dependent on lots of volunteers, and hence aren't as centralised as organisations  like the Blue Cross, and Battersea.

Once I've got the house reasonably sorted out, I'll be off to find some little furry buggers, although I like pre-owned adult cats, they're probably better off to be left by themselves than kittens would be.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Martin

« Reply #19 on: 11 July, 2008, 12:05:23 pm »
k-day approaches (the boys will expect one the minute we get back from holiday). As a visit to Cats Protection is looking increasingly like a visit from the Scientologists I've scanned the local papers and ads in the pet shop; loads available but they all want money for them  :hand: this strikes me as a Bad Thing as they are breeding them speciallly (as if there anren't enough anyway).

Very worrying BBC news article this a.m about puppies being offered for sale in very poor health  :(

border-rider

« Reply #20 on: 11 July, 2008, 12:09:21 pm »
Yes- you'll often find that cats from private sellers and shops have all sorts of health problems.  Plus, you have to ask why they are selling them when the CPL and others have cages full of them needing homes.

People wanting to find good homes for kittens for free is a different thing of course

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 11 July, 2008, 12:44:01 pm »
As a visit to Cats Protection is looking increasingly like a visit from the Scientologists
How so? The CP just want to make sure that they are rehoming the cats they are responsible for to a suitable home, and not to a bunch of crack-addled alcoholics with no cat food.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #22 on: 11 July, 2008, 12:44:54 pm »
If you live in a farming area, try asking farmers.

My parents live on a farm and they were adopted by a cat who just happened to be very very pregnant, my mum couldn't see any point in trying to sell the little blighers so she advertised in the vets and pet shop, all went very quickly, we were lucky to get Lord Dashworth....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 11 July, 2008, 12:51:15 pm »
As a visit to Cats Protection is looking increasingly like a visit from the Scientologists
How so? The CP just want to make sure that they are rehoming the cats they are responsible for to a suitable home, and not to a bunch of crack-addled alcoholics with no cat food.

I'm sure it will be OK (and I'll show them the bank statements for our last tranche of vet bills if not) just that looking at their website Cats Protection it all looks a bit intimidating.

and also; we want a kitten; not an outcast, they all end up as cats after 6 months anyway but it's important to do the bonding thing; my gut feeling is that they will have a lot of rescues they are keen to rehome.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 11 July, 2008, 12:54:53 pm »
Ach, home visits are fine, there's not much point in them re-homing an elderly cat that just wants a quiet life with a young family of several after all!
And as you've had cats before it'll all be fine.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.