Author Topic: Training works...  (Read 1878 times)

simonp

Training works...
« on: 01 November, 2009, 01:23:25 am »
So I've been looking at data from the Powertap.

Comparing this season to previous data going back to 2007.

This season, peak power for 1 hour was 198 watts.

Previously, in 2007 I set a peak of 178 watts for the same duration.

A 10% increase in performance since the year I completed PBP.  :thumbsup:

It's also interesting that basically what appears to have happened is the point where my performance drops seems to have shifted.

i.e. the curves are similar up to about a half hour's duration but then they diverge.  The previous years' curve drops away faster then levels off a bit.  This year's curve stays flat for longer, to over an hour before it drops away again (thus the difference closes a bit over very long durations to about 12 watts).

At this point in 2008 I was worse over 1h than in 2007 (170W, so I am much faster now than a year ago it seems).  At the widest point the gap is 30 Watts!  Perhaps an artifact of doing lots of long events?  I don't have much data for the main part of the 2008 season as it was playing up (replaced under warranty).

Many of the highest long-duration data points were on the MSG 300 funnily enough. :)

Re: Training works...
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2009, 09:40:53 pm »
I don't have a Power Tap or any other such device (although I would like one) but I have been logging my Brevet times since I started riding. Reviewing them today I see that 15 of my fastest 22 times were recorded this year including my first sub 8hr 200km, sub 14hr 300km and sub 20hr 400km.

This must have something to do with the fact that I have:-
a) Done nearly 13000miles this year
b) Actively concentrated on speed training, including lots of early season spin classes down the gym
Obvioulsy this had paid dividends as I have also lost 30 pounds!!

simonp

« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2009, 09:44:52 pm »
Good work.  My audax milage is lower this year - no 600s and only 34 points.  14 of which from LEL.  Last year was 55 points.

What I've done this year is more shorter rides, commuting on fixed (and gie'ing it laldy) and in the early part of the season some interval work.

Currently trying to cross-train at the gym on Tuesdays (row, run) and swimming club on Thursdays, plus the push ups and sit ups programmes, so I have more all-round fitness.  Been going out for 40-50ish mile rides the last 3 weekends to ensure I hit the ground running on Saturday after a bit of a post-LEL lull.  But as I set my 5000m rowing PB last week it's not set me back too far having a bit of a break.

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2009, 03:40:13 pm »
Today I set a whole bunch of power output records for short duration bursts of power.  Every time period from 3s to 35s has today's ride as the best on record.  :o

I also set a PB for 35 minutes (202 Watts) today.  Now the only PBs that don't belong to 2009 are around the 45s duration (417 Watts) and 2s duration (1144 Watts).

Continuing to get stronger.  :)

« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2009, 10:16:22 pm »
Excellent!

A good book is "training and racing with a power meter" by Allen and Coggan, pretty much does what it says on the tin, I've found it brilliant for setting some benchmarks then structuring my training around the numbers (no on-bike power-meter, just a wattbike in the gym)

New edition out in early 2010, so hte current version seems to be a bit cheaper.

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'