Author Topic: South East Winter permanents  (Read 8689 times)

Weirdy Biker

South East Winter permanents
« on: 11 October, 2009, 08:56:16 pm »
I am planning a series of permanents over November, December, January and February.  Note there is one 300 a month.  Run on dates where there is not a local audax event (AFAIK).  All starting in East Surrey / West Sussex (where possible). Company welcome - simply PM me or post in this thread.

Dates and events are, subject to weather (snow and ice may force rescheduling):

14 November - Dover Dash 200, starting in Hailsham
21 November - DIY permanent (Redhill - Battle - Rye - Eynesford - Redhill)*
19 December - Man of Kent 300 (starting Edenbridge)
27 December - Hailsham Liss 200 (starting Midhurst)
2 January - Medway Meander 200 (starting Edenbridge)
16 January - El Supremo 300 (starting Midhurst)
6 March - Seaford Yalding 200 (starting Mayfield)
13 March - Wiltshire Cycleway 300 (starting Winchester)

*this may become a calendar event in September/October 2010.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: South East Winter permanents
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2009, 08:41:50 am »
Redhill? An Audax starting near a mainline railway station - whatever next!?!
Hmmm, you've given me an idea ...

[Can't get there till 10on Sundays, byt Saturdays are possible].

Bon route, mon ami.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

dougal

• A gem of a lane
« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2009, 01:55:37 pm »
I am planning to do the Medway Meander sometime soon cos the brevet card is burning a hole in my pocket.

I was going to do it from Eastbourne tho' as that is my home town.

Assuming the intention would be to do as much of the ride in daylight as possible that could make it complicated.

Its a lay-by love affair

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2009, 04:28:22 pm »
I am planning to do the Medway Meander sometime soon cos the brevet card is burning a hole in my pocket.
I was going to do it from Eastbourne tho' as that is my home town. Assuming the intention would be to do as much of the ride in daylight as possible that could make it complicated.

Depends on when you start.  Meeting up in Edenbridge at any time before 10am would be ok with me (I would normally start at 8-9am, and expect some riding in the dark).  Which would probably mean a start no later than 7am (possible 6:30am) so that you could complete the (for you) first 60km.  Let me know if this appeals - I'll understand if it doesn't, as starting in the light has much appeal to me personally.

From memory, those 60km are surprisingly undulating (although my memory might be tainted by having 150km in my legs before then, riding with only 9 gears because the cable to my front derailleur snapped 20km into the ride).

dougal

• A gem of a lane
« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2009, 05:19:17 pm »
Frere

If I did do the ride then the early start probably wouldn't be a deterrent.  Doing the dark bit when roads less busy and feeling fresher makes sense to me.

Dave's notes confirm this is the hilliest portion which makes sense as it takes you up on top of the Ashdown Forest IIRC.

I'll be in touch nearer the time if this looks likely to happen.

Nice to be thinking about rides in '10 already.

Cheers

Its a lay-by love affair

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2009, 05:34:22 pm »
I may well join you on a couple or more of these. Being 10 miles from Redhill definately makes this local.

Looking at the list:

14 November - Dover Dash 200, starting in Hailsham - NOPE - Got a bike fitting session that day
21 November - DIY permanent (Redhill - Battle - Rye - Eynesford - Redhill)* - YEP - sounds good.
19 December - Man of Kent 300 (starting Edenbridge) - HMMM....
27 December - Hailsham Liss 200 (starting Midhurst) - NOPE
2 January - Medway Meander 200 (starting Edenbridge) - HMMM....normally very bored during / after NY so could be good.
16 January - El Supremo 300 (starting Midhurst) - too far ahead to know!
6 March - Seaford Yalding 200 (starting Mayfield) - too far ahead to know!
13 March - Wiltshire Cycleway 300 (starting Winchester) - too far ahead to know!

This is all with the caveat that the knee reacts well to 100k this weekend and the Upper Thames 200 in November but things are looking good.  :thumbsup:

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2009, 11:36:48 am »
As today proves (stormy weather etc) the dates of the DIYs and perms I have in mind is flexible.  No point in doing anything silly when it is meant to be for fun.

For those that might be interested in local Surrey/Sussex 200+ rides over the winter, my signature will give a heads up on upcoming rides (usually those in the next 4 weeks).

scottlington

« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2009, 02:48:53 pm »
Edit to my earlier list:

14 November - Dover Dash 200, starting in Hailsham - NOPE - Got a bike fitting session that day
21 November - DIY permanent (Redhill - Battle - Rye - Eynesford - Redhill) - NOPE - Mrs Scottlington has a suprise booked for my birthday...  :thumbsup:
19 December - Man of Kent 300 (starting Edenbridge) - HMMM....
27 December - Hailsham Liss 200 (starting Midhurst) - NOPE
2 January - Medway Meander 200 (starting Edenbridge) - HMMM....normally very bored during / after NY so could be good.
16 January - El Supremo 300 (starting Midhurst) - too far ahead to know!
6 March - Seaford Yalding 200 (starting Mayfield) - too far ahead to know!
13 March - Wiltshire Cycleway 300 (starting Winchester) - too far ahead to know!

scottlington

« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2009, 02:51:14 pm »
Hehe - just re-read my list and it makes for pretty crap reading. I basically have not replied in the affirmitive to anything.  :-[

Sorry FY! I'll see how the upper T goes this coming weekend and make a decision on the MoK 300.

« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2009, 06:53:22 pm »
As today proves (stormy weather etc) the dates of the DIYs and perms I have in mind is flexible.  No point in doing anything silly when it is meant to be for fun.

Last weekend was, umm, variable, but still nothing like the weather today. Good choice not to go out in my mind. I got shitfaced instead. ;)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #10 on: 01 November, 2009, 08:08:06 pm »
Postie and are likely to be out on a Denmead based DIY 200 on the 13th December.

H

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 01 November, 2009, 09:19:17 pm »
anybody want a spot of real life in the middle of a DIY I'm doing the Mince Pies and Stollen 13th Dec within a 100km ECE perm;
Also the same with the 1066 on 7 Feb.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #12 on: 02 November, 2009, 01:23:07 am »
anybody want a spot of real life in the middle of a DIY I'm doing the Mince Pies and Stollen 13th Dec within a 100km ECE perm;

That caught my eye too. It would be a bit odd as we'd have to start/finish somewhere between here and Hailsham but not impossible.

H

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 02 November, 2009, 11:21:07 pm »
just had my El S Buckbarn-Sutton Scotney 200 route sheet back; Pam-Tastic! it uses Houghton Hill on the way to Chichester then back over the Downs at Clanfield before striking up to SS and coming back via New Alresford and the usual Liss route; I'll be taking the Stoner Hill diversion only a couple of extra km

will I be the first to do it?

That caught my eye too. It would be a bit odd as we'd have to start/finish somewhere between here and Hailsham

no reason why you can't ride one way to Hailsham (a pretty constant 116km whichever route) and get the train back; perfectly legal  :) (if a bit of an early shock to the post Saturday night system)

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #14 on: 03 November, 2009, 11:03:55 am »
just had my El S Buckbarn-Sutton Scotney 200 route sheet back; Pam-Tastic! it uses Houghton Hill on the way to Chichester then back over the Downs at Clanfield before striking up to SS and coming back via New Alresford and the usual Liss route; I'll be taking the Stoner Hill diversion only a couple of extra km

Sounds interesting, now that you've mentioned the C word. Is there a control at or near Clanfield (i.e. on my doorstep) from which I could start?

<moan>
I do wish that many more perm organisers would include route information on the AUK website. For the majority of the rides there are no clues as to the start, finish or control locations We could be missing out on some interesting routes.
</moan>
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #15 on: 03 November, 2009, 03:12:55 pm »
Is there a control at or near Clanfield (i.e on my doorstep) from which I could start?

Even if there isn't, most organisers will allow you to put in an intermediate control that is on (or close) to the route between "official" control towns.  You won't be credited with the extra distance though.  Certainly that's been my experience on at least two perms I can think of.

The alternative is to DIY it (entering Dave's event in parallel).

My suggestion would be to send off your entry and let Dave know your plans.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 03 November, 2009, 03:27:36 pm »
<moan>
I do wish that many more perm organisers would include route information on the AUK website. For the majority of the rides there are no clues as to the start, finish or control locations We could be missing out on some interesting routes.
</moan>
You are not alone:

I wish Audax rides were just named after the start point...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 04 November, 2009, 12:26:11 am »
Is there a control at or near Clanfield (i.e on my doorstep) from which I could start?

Even if there isn't, most organisers will allow you to put in an intermediate control that is on (or close) to the route between "official" control towns.  You won't be credited with the extra distance though.  Certainly that's been my experience on at least two perms I can think of.

The alternative is to DIY it (entering Dave's event in parallel).

My suggestion would be to send off your entry and let Dave know your plans.

IMX Dave is more than happy for you to include an extra start / finish in between official control points provided you visit all the other points; never needed to myself but he did allow me to do this on the Pulborough-Reading;

BTW I'm very likely to do this ride on either the 17th or 26th of Nov sky (or contents of) falling on head permitting

ps PM me and I can supply a GPX of the route (I won't put it up online on principle; if an org has gone to the trouble of setting a route one should pay the paltry entry fee to use it)

« Reply #18 on: 06 November, 2009, 09:04:06 am »
Martin: Are you starting from EG and heading down the A22 for the Mince Pies and Stollen?

Martin

« Reply #19 on: 06 November, 2009, 09:36:11 am »
Martin: Are you starting from EG and heading down the A22 for the Mince Pies and Stollen?

Yes; would invite you to stay over if you wanted but am up in London for a concert the night before; are you riding all the way down?

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #20 on: 16 November, 2009, 10:59:56 am »
#1 attempted and resulted in a fail.  Lesson learnt: do not attempt your first 200km ride for 7 months

(a) on fixed
(b) on too high a gear
(c) on a DIY course that you think will end up being a grimpeur 200 when promoted to the calendar

I got to the penultimate control (Eynsford) 12 hours into the ride with 40km to go.  My control was a "permit to travel" at the rail station, the next train was in 2 mins and the temptation was too much (it was either that or an 11pm finish and a grovelling letter to the DIY organiser asking for an extended time allowance).

A rather nice route though.  Like a tough version of a Dave Hudson ride.  For the calendar event, will need to edit out the flat bit after Rye  :demon:

Trimming back ambitions for the winter, I will be riding the route to completion (on gears) this coming weekend rather than diving into a 300...

scottlington

« Reply #21 on: 16 November, 2009, 12:50:45 pm »
#1 attempted and resulted in a fail.  Lesson learnt: do not attempt your first 200km ride for 7 months

(a) on fixed
(b) on too high a gear
(c) on a DIY course that you think will end up being a grimpeur 200 when promoted to the calendar

I got to the penultimate control (Eynsford) 12 hours into the ride with 40km to go.  My control was a "permit to travel" at the rail station, the next train was in 2 mins and the temptation was too much (it was either that or an 11pm finish and a grovelling letter to the DIY organiser asking for an extended time allowance).

A rather nice route though.  Like a tough version of a Dave Hudson ride.  For the calendar event, will need to edit out the flat bit after Rye  :demon:

Trimming back ambitions for the winter, I will be riding the route to completion (on gears) this coming weekend rather than diving into a 300...

Bad Luck Mr Y.

I presume you will be doing the 200 this coming Saturday? I will not be around that day but would be willing to offer some company if you don't mind switching to Sunday?

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #22 on: 16 November, 2009, 02:34:52 pm »
Scottlington.  Won't fix the day until later in the week, the intention being to cherry pick the day with the better weather.  At the moment, according to forecasts, this might be the Sunday.

On either day, it would be a very early start (6am) as I want to see the bits around Yalding in daylight.  The cascading water *sounded* impressive in the dark...

I'll PM you later in the week.  Be sure to eat your weetabix, as the route is a real rollercoaster (esp from Dormanisland via Burwash to Battle, with a couple of nasties on the way to Rye and then again in the North Downs).  The profile I got sent from Manotea is an eye opener.

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 17 November, 2009, 12:57:28 am »
look forward to seeing the event in the 2010 Grimpeurs du Sud  :)

scottlington

« Reply #24 on: 17 November, 2009, 12:09:04 pm »
Scottlington.  Won't fix the day until later in the week, the intention being to cherry pick the day with the better weather.  At the moment, according to forecasts, this might be the Sunday.

On either day, it would be a very early start (6am) as I want to see the bits around Yalding in daylight.  The cascading water *sounded* impressive in the dark...

I'll PM you later in the week.  Be sure to eat your weetabix, as the route is a real rollercoaster (esp from Dormanisland via Burwash to Battle, with a couple of nasties on the way to Rye and then again in the North Downs).  The profile I got sent from Manotea is an eye opener.

>:( Grrrr. Real life has intervened. It's my birthday this week so Mrs Scottlington has a suprise for me this weekend. I originally thought this was Friday and Saturday (hence my option for Sunday) but was told last night (reminded, she says....) that it involves Sunday too...  Looks like you're back on your own Frere Yacker...  :(