Author Topic: Toaster settings  (Read 3453 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Toaster settings
« Reply #25 on: 17 February, 2021, 09:29:44 pm »
I have read that sourdough bread can fail to brown as toast if itxs been fermented so much that much of the sugars have been used up, leaving less for caramelisation.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Edd

« Reply #26 on: 18 February, 2021, 10:57:15 am »
I have read that sourdough bread can fail to brown as toast if itxs been fermented so much that much of the sugars have been used up, leaving less for caramelisation.

Acid inhibits the Maillard reaction, so if it is sour, it takes longer/is less likely to brown. With pretzels you do the opposite, dunking in a strong alkali really promotes the browning when baking

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 18 February, 2021, 02:39:03 pm »
The brown bread might absorb more heat and need less toasting if it were just darker.

But many brown breads are more dense or have their moisture incorporated more firmly, so need toasting for longer.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 18 February, 2021, 02:47:53 pm »

Acid inhibits the Maillard reaction, so if it is sour, it takes longer/is less likely to brown. With pretzels you do the opposite, dunking in a strong alkali really promotes the browning when baking

It's worth noting that the Maillard reaction and caramelisation are slightly different processes - toast browning is the Maillard reaction rather than caramelisation.

At least, I think that's the case... It's chemistry, which I may have mentioned before is not my strong suit.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 18 February, 2021, 05:24:27 pm »
Ach, you knew what I meant ;)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #30 on: 18 February, 2021, 07:38:46 pm »
As a quick fix, simply paint your bread with gravy. Though there might be accusations of 'blacking up' so don't Instagram it.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #31 on: 19 February, 2021, 03:08:31 pm »
As a quick fix, simply paint your bread with gravy. Though there might be accusations of 'blacking up' so don't Instagram it.

Or a charge of cultural appropriation from the Lancastrians.

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State