Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 225653 times)

What's the last gig you went to see?
« on: 29 September, 2010, 11:19:47 pm »
Grinderman, Leeds Uni, Monday.

It was a great show - obviously Nick Cave and Warren Ellis and the rest have been at it a long time, so they know how to hold an audience and how to put on a show.  Warren Ellis is amazing to watch on stage - he looks like an Old Testament prophet, but dresses and struts around the stage like a louche rock star.

The noise was immense.  Not the loudest gig I've heard, but pretty damn loud, and the first gig I've been to where adults have worn earplugs.  On record, they have more of a Bad Seeds vibe, but live the Dirty Three sound seemed to come to the fore, especially during the extended instrumentals.  There was plenty of stage-to-audience banter:

NC: "It's always the highlight of anyone's career to play Leeds University canteen.  So, are you all students?"
Audience: "Nooo.  We're too old to be students."

Also, there was a bizarre moment when someone chucked a paperback at Nick Cave, which he opened with bemusement.  

I didn't get very drunk, as I was expecting SU prices, but it turned out to be £3.00+ for a can of vaguely-alcoholic stuff.  So I had a couple, and enjoyed the show.  

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:48:30 pm »
Dewa and another band of my friends of what I can't remember there name ? at Manchester Academy 3 about two month back is my last music gig. Dewa were OK and I don't think they have released any music to a format as yet ?
My mate was wasted and me myself sober as I was cycling back home.
There's something about live music I love though as I get older prefer the music in my own home. Also I'm getting to a part in my life now at 40 where walking into a gig on my own is becoming a little uncomfortable due to not being anywhere near in my 20's. Oh well at least I didn't look as out of place as my freind at the gig as he consumed way to much alcohol, is 5 years older than me and I'm better looking (Ihope ?) and I  was also part dressed as a cyclist and had my pannier bag over my shoulder flashing  a red tail light all night and no one botherd to tell me about it !.  I don't purposely go out to pubs , clubs and gigs with flashing tail lights flashing on my person.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2010, 09:14:32 am »
Geoff Achison on Tuesday night. Touring the UK at the mo. If you're into bluesy guitar stuff try and see him. Excellent.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2010, 09:25:04 am »
Also I'm getting to a part in my life now at 40 where walking into a gig on my own is becoming a little uncomfortable due to not being anywhere near in my 20's.

Don't be silly! There's always an old guy, nodding at the back and you know he's got a great record collection and probably was a musician himself. I aspire to be that guy one day.

« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2010, 09:38:16 am »
Deadmau5 at the Warehouse Project in Manchester. Rather disappointing.

Looking forward to Underworld at the Brixton Academy and Leftfield in December.

« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2010, 01:54:51 pm »
I think probably Regina Spektor in July, at the Cambridge Corn Exchange - was very awesome.  That was the end to what I called Awesome Music Week; I saw Frank Turner, James and Belle & Sebastian at Latitude Festival the weekend before, and then in the middle of Latitude and Regina, I saw Seth Lakeman and the Levellers at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich.

Next one at the end of October is 3 Daft Monkeys at London Borderline, and then Frank Turner up in Oxford in December, wooo :)

(I am perhaps a folk junkie, can you tell?)

« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2010, 02:01:48 pm »
Icebreaker and B J Cole performing Brian Eno's Apollo atmospheres and soundtracks and part of Gordon's Trance; two weeks back.  Top stuff.

Now bracing myself for Einsturzende Neubauten at the Forum on 16 Oct.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #7 on: 30 September, 2010, 02:18:22 pm »
Do comedians count?

I used to go to tons of gigs but this made me realise the last gig I went to was either Underworld at the Roundhouse in 2007 or Rush in either Manchester, Newcastle or Brimingham in the same year.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #8 on: 30 September, 2010, 04:07:55 pm »
I think probably Regina Spektor in July, at the Cambridge Corn Exchange - was very awesome.  That was the end to what I called Awesome Music Week; I saw Frank Turner, James and Belle & Sebastian at Latitude Festival the weekend before, and then in the middle of Latitude and Regina, I saw Seth Lakeman and the Levellers at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich.

Next one at the end of October is 3 Daft Monkeys at London Borderline, and then Frank Turner up in Oxford in December, wooo :)

How was Latitude?  I was looking at a festival for next year, and I'd prefer a smaller, friendlier atmosphere than fancy Glastonbury or Leeds/Reading or any of the mega-festivals  My two top choices (End of the Road and Green Man) both clash with other stuff, sadly, so Latitude has appeared on the radar - it's also less distance to travel from here in the boonies.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #9 on: 30 September, 2010, 04:23:17 pm »
Now bracing myself for Einsturzende Neubauten at the Forum on 16 Oct.

Me too, assuming my ticket(s) actually turn up...going to both nights.

« Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2010, 04:34:14 pm »
Do comedians count?

I used to go to tons of gigs but this made me realise the last gig I went to was either Underworld at the Roundhouse in 2007

I was there too. I have flac files of the gig if you are interested ( I owe you a favour)

« Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2010, 06:59:51 pm »

How was Latitude?  I was looking at a festival for next year, and I'd prefer a smaller, friendlier atmosphere than fancy Glastonbury or Leeds/Reading or any of the mega-festivals  My two top choices (End of the Road and Green Man) both clash with other stuff, sadly, so Latitude has appeared on the radar - it's also less distance to travel from here in the boonies.
I was only there for Saturday, but what I saw of it made me want to be there all weekend - and next year, finances depending, I will be :)

Chris S

« Reply #12 on: 30 September, 2010, 07:02:44 pm »
Peter Gabriel at Blickling Hall.

Brilliant.

Never to forget moment - Mrs S and Me, arms in the air, swaying to and singing Biko - tears streaming down our faces. Top stuff  :thumbsup:

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #13 on: 30 September, 2010, 07:48:17 pm »
At Norwich Arts Centre:

Last Thursday: Serena Maneesh a Norwegian band that produce a 'My Bloody Valentine meets VU meets black metal' wall of sound. They were supported by Norwich's own Sennen - so-called 'kings of the nu-gaze scene' and the rather unusual Pumajaw - sort of a stranger version of Moloko but not quite having the songs to go with the interesting music.

The first two were both rather splendid (excepting the dodgy cover of New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle by Sennen) but was disappointed that SM didn't play any of the songs their female bassist sings on the latest album.

Last night: This Will Destroy You supported by Talons and Eaststrikewest

All three are exponents of the post rock meets math rock quiet/LOUD style - (only the latter have songs as such) so the hearing of this 40-something geezer (stood at the back on his own - just go for it Yahuda!) is still feeling a tad dulled...Have to admit: seeing Talons on stage made me feel old - they've only recently taken their A-levels!

Next up are 65daysofstatic 21 Nov unless something else comes up in the meantime (maybe Mad Professor or Steve Mason). Saw them a few years ago but the singer was ill so only ended up with an instrumental show, but it was rather good anyway.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #14 on: 30 September, 2010, 10:06:56 pm »
Bob Dylan in the safe end of Harlem last December.

« Reply #15 on: 30 September, 2010, 10:36:46 pm »

I was only there for Saturday, but what I saw of it made me want to be there all weekend - and next year, finances depending, I will be :)

I may be too, depending on finances and the line-up :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 30 September, 2010, 11:15:10 pm »
Hmm, unless I've forgotten something, REM in Sheffield, 2005.  Which says everything you need to know about my interest in music, really.    :-\

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #17 on: 01 October, 2010, 09:02:49 am »
Do comedians count?

I used to go to tons of gigs but this made me realise the last gig I went to was either Underworld at the Roundhouse in 2007

I was there too. I have flac files of the gig if you are interested ( I owe you a favour)

Thanks but I bought the CD they were selling on the night.

« Reply #18 on: 01 October, 2010, 09:05:19 am »
Complete with the high-pitch feedback squeal that nearly blew Karls ears out?

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #19 on: 01 October, 2010, 09:14:42 am »
Complete with the high-pitch feedback squeal that nearly blew Karls ears out?

Don't remember that. I went on the first of a three night stint - they cancelled the third because Rick was ill if I recall.

« Reply #20 on: 01 October, 2010, 09:17:36 am »
I can't remember which night I went, but it was a good gig. Quite civilised compared to their gigs in the late 90's.

Their new album isn't that good tho

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #21 on: 01 October, 2010, 09:32:13 am »
I can't remember which night I went, but it was a good gig. Quite civilised compared to their gigs in the late 90's.

Their new album isn't that good tho

Civilised, yes that's a good description. I too saw them a lot in the late 90s - best time was a small festival in France.

The new album is rubbish. The half-baked experimental stuff the release on their website is better and more interesting than this dance pap. All their albums have been patchy affairs since Second Toughest.. but this is particularly weak.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 01 October, 2010, 10:07:44 am »
Last gig I can recall going to was Snake Davis & The Charmers at York Arts Centre in 1993 (a couple of years after leaving working there).
Getting there...

« Reply #23 on: 01 October, 2010, 10:30:58 am »
possibly, Joe Brown & The Bruvvers backed by Susan Maughan ??  Seems like very early '60s.

« Reply #24 on: 01 October, 2010, 11:31:02 am »
Quote from: JT

The new album is rubbish. The half-baked experimental stuff the release on their website is better and more interesting than this dance pap. All their albums have been patchy affairs since Second Toughest.. but this is particularly weak.

Second toughest is my favourite too. Great music for a long drive.

I liked Beaucoup Fish very much, and Orblivion was good too. This one is the worst... there's nothing there.

Are you going to the Leftfield gigs?