Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575940 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #600 on: 24 August, 2011, 07:56:47 am »
No, Lindley. Bottom of Cowrakes Road.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #601 on: 24 August, 2011, 10:34:09 am »
Transform server, you have informed me that you can't send a fax because a mailbox is full.  More than seven hundred times in the past four hours.  If brevity is the soul of wit then these error messages were written by Oscar Wilde; however I should prefer an approach with a little detail, such as telling me how to fix it.  Useless cretinous morons.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #602 on: 25 August, 2011, 05:01:45 pm »
Hockey was fun, in part because it wasn't football or rugby, but mostly because it was fun. I always played right midfield. Hockey shinpads were mandatory and anyone trying to get away with a pair of footie pads wouldn't be allowed to play.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #603 on: 25 August, 2011, 05:06:52 pm »
ugh fucking P.E  :sick:
Amen to that.
Even to this day, PE lessons are the reason I loathe football (was crap at it), can barely tolerate rugby (was one of the 'big lads' so ended up in the bloody scrum) and actually really enjoy cricket ('cos I was good at it)

The mixed hockey thing is true, though - I swear I still have flashbacks to the one and only 'lads vs. lasses' game that was played at school. Blood on the playground indeed, and most of it from the lads ...
I was one of the small, quick, agile lads, with a damn good chance of evading defenders if I got the ball in an attacking position, so our Neanderthal-in-charge put me in the scrum 'to make a man of' me. I publicly corrected his spelling & grammar, in retaliation.

+1 for mixed hockey. An experiment swiftly discontinued to save the NHS money.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #604 on: 28 August, 2011, 06:03:10 pm »
Ankle, you've had nearly two years to heal the damaged ligaments, so why have you started aching again today :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #605 on: 28 August, 2011, 08:11:51 pm »
Boots why have you stopped making a basic henna shampoo (the non basic which I like makes Kim sneeze) and turned everything into hippy coconut shit?   >:(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #606 on: 31 August, 2011, 10:58:39 am »
There is no coffee.  This is unacceptable, and will result in stabby DETH unless rectified forthwith.

essexian

« Reply #607 on: 31 August, 2011, 11:18:06 am »
Talk Talk.... your internet service isn't very good is it. Indeed, we have hardly had a service over the last few days.

So, lets phone the "helpdesk...." if I can find the number on their website (they had hidden it and not even their own search could find it!!). After 5 mins of holding, a recorded message comes on saying there is a fault on my connection which they would look into and fix. Finally, two hours later I have a service but for how long, who knows.

I look back on a world where we didn't have the internet with rose coloured glasses: things were so much better back then, summers were warmer and hills less difficult. Sigh.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #608 on: 31 August, 2011, 12:43:39 pm »
we were recommended to wear shin pads for hockey.
shin pads schmin pads
never wore'm*, never got hit on the shin
those that usually wore and then one forgot invariably did get whacked
make of it what you will
*OK, I did wear when I was in goal, but that's different
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #609 on: 31 August, 2011, 03:34:37 pm »
we were recommended to wear shin pads for hockey.
shin pads schmin pads
never wore'm*, never got hit on the shin
those that usually wore and then one forgot invariably did get whacked
make of it what you will

That's a pretty good example of risk compensation, that is.

« Reply #610 on: 31 August, 2011, 06:01:16 pm »

I was once designated goalie, and for a change, kitted up in the full pads, boots etc (normally we played without).

Being on the small side, I took most of the first half to walk out to the pitch...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #611 on: 31 August, 2011, 06:07:09 pm »

I was once designated goalie, and for a change, kitted up in the full pads, boots etc (normally we played without).

Being on the small side, I took most of the first half to walk out to the pitch...

Reminds of the bit in one of Clive James's books where he describes being bought a pair of rugby boots that were so large they didn't move until a few seconds after he'd started running.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #612 on: 01 September, 2011, 01:50:27 pm »
I don't know who is the bigger cock.  The luser who sent six e-mails to the Helldesk asking for six different reports to be sent to someone, or the Helldesk for raising six separate calls.  I conclude that they are equally cockoid.

« Reply #613 on: 01 September, 2011, 05:51:43 pm »
Body - you've been back in Australia since Monday. I'd like to still be in France too but it's nearly 3AM. Please, please go to sleep and stay asleep until it's time to get up.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #614 on: 01 September, 2011, 05:54:02 pm »
Oh and cold brought back as a souvenir - I've had enough of you too.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #615 on: 01 September, 2011, 06:02:47 pm »
Oh dear, not a good souvenir.

GWS Sandy.

« Reply #616 on: 01 September, 2011, 06:53:08 pm »
Thanks Clare.
And now it's nearly 4 and I have to be up before 5 to catch a plane. Grumble, grumble. 

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #617 on: 01 September, 2011, 09:16:59 pm »
Garmin, why is it so fucking slow and complicated to install updates on your TwatNav?  It makes Apple look like a model of something Nutty would actually like :demon:

Edit: 54 minutes to completion at bedtime.  37 minutes to completion this morning.  Crunts.

LindaG

« Reply #618 on: 02 September, 2011, 10:44:01 am »
car camping is not as much fun as cycle camping. At least with panniers you have to be a bit organised. Which means you can find stuff. Tent looks like a bomb's hit it. So does the bloody car.

« Reply #619 on: 02 September, 2011, 04:02:31 pm »
Garmin, why is it so fucking slow and complicated to install updates on your TwatNav?  It makes Apple look like a model of something Nutty would actually like :demon:

Edit: 54 minutes to completion at bedtime.  37 minutes to completion this morning.  Crunts.

I'm not able to download the full map update that they charge me for, because the memory on my (top of the range two years ago) Garmin is too small to cope with it.  I have to download JUST UK maps-and that's after deleting everything else like extra languages, people, cars etc.  Otherwise it doesn't TELL me it's too big, it just hangs!  Took me weeks to figure that out as I thought it was my rubbish broadband that was at fault...even now it takes all night, but at least it will update eventually!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #620 on: 02 September, 2011, 09:05:32 pm »
Today, I have been mostly watching TV with a mark-space ratio of 13:8.

"A WHAT ratio?" I hear you ask.

I turn the Cable Decoder on, and can watch any channel for 2m10 seconds.  Then the screen reverts to a "Cable & Wireless" logo and a message about my Set-Top Box being updated, for 25 seconds.  Black screen for another 15 seconds, then 40 seconds of the "Virgin Media" logo, then the Telly programme I was watching resumes.  130 seconds on, 80 seconds off.  And repeat.

I phoned up those ever so helpful (*) Virgin Meeja people at their UK (**) Call Centre in Bangalore.  The phone-droid decided after not very many minutes of me explaining the problem that an "engineer" (you mean a technician, but let it pass) would have to attend.  As I'm off to Cornwall for a week, and don't know when I'll have time to let a techie in when I get back, I have passed on the offer, and will re-arrange.  So it's not a rant, because I don't care that my telly isn't working.

(*) This may contain irony or traces of lies.

(**) UK = "Usually Klueless"
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Chris S

« Reply #621 on: 02 September, 2011, 09:40:45 pm »
Someone at Muller has done a fucking shit job of shuffling their flavours in this multipack of fruit corners.

Sigh.

Yet Another Peach & Apricot yogurt anyone?

« Reply #622 on: 07 September, 2011, 03:38:14 pm »
Do washing.

Hang on line.

Starts raining, just enough to get the washing wetter if I leave it out.

Rescue washing & drape around house.

Rain stops. Dark cloud goes away. Hang out still damp washing again.

Soon afterwards - a downpour.  >:(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #623 on: 07 September, 2011, 08:06:09 pm »
Cold and blocked nose, go away!

I've been hospitable enough but I would like to be able to breath and smell things again thank you.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #624 on: 08 September, 2011, 06:49:17 am »
Just had an email from my manager, inviting me to a team meeting.  He goes on to say that due to changes in what can be claimed on expenses, he is unable to provide refreshments.  He helpfully goes on to say that if we bring our own tea/coffee and suitable drinking vessel, he will bring some milk. I've told him to keep his milk as I'm vegan.

I'm not really bothered, I know we are only there to be told how crap we are, but this isn't quite what you expect from a major international company that is one of the UK's largest employers. Pathetic.