Author Topic: A million miles on a bike  (Read 2057 times)

A million miles on a bike
« on: 06 November, 2019, 09:02:22 am »
This has just been posted on our club forum...

In my teens I rode for Farnham road club. There was an old guy in the club called Russ Mantle. It turns out he is about to break one million miles - A World Record. As many of you know I have been know to knock out a fair few miles but a million is crazy. Russ has been a member of Farnham Road Club since the early 1950s and has been recording his daily mileage since 1951. Having now reached his 80s he is still getting the mileage in and is on the verge of breaking the one million mile barrier. This is a World Record and will probably never be beaten. Russ estimates that he will pass one million miles on Thursday 7th November and Farnham RC are looking to celebrate with Russ in the best way possible by riding through his millionth mile with him. I am heading down tomorrow to join them. Just thought everyone might be interested in this legend.

I think I might pop down too, anyone else interested? Will ask for further details.

Re: A million miles on a bike
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2019, 09:17:28 am »
... and some famous names here:

https://300k-cc.co.uk/membership/

S2L

« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2019, 09:17:50 am »
to the moon and back twice...  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2019, 09:41:16 am »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2019, 09:44:20 am »
Russ Mantle will be the first British cyclist to crack 1,000,000 recorded miles but it isn’t a world record. The USA’s Freddie Hoffman has racked up a fair few more miles than that, though he isn't a member of the 300,000 Mile Club. https://miles4melanoma.com/freddiehoffman/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2019, 10:24:11 am »

« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2019, 12:36:58 pm »
A couple of club mates are going up tomorrow,  one is a member of the 300,000 miles club.
Had hoped to be there myself as the newest member of the 300,000miles club, but heading off on my annual autumn tour tonight.
On the plus side he is guest of honor at my club dinner( Hampshire road club) in December.  So i can hear all about him then.
  :thumbsup:

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:35:39 pm »
https://300k-cc.co.uk/roll-of-honour/

Non active members - some still alive but no longer riding

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 11 November, 2019, 03:44:36 pm »
How often is the current list updated?
Russ is 7000 short on it and I'm sure George said earlier this year that he was either not far off 800k or just past that mark.

« Reply #11 on: 11 November, 2019, 07:40:10 pm »
List is updated yearly,  in January all members are asked to send mileages from the previous year. Ready for the annual newsletter.