Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 450539 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #50 on: 11 January, 2015, 01:09:58 pm »
Silly nickname, all I can think of when I see it is Michael Heseltine and Norman Tebbit ;D

« Reply #51 on: 11 January, 2015, 01:22:51 pm »
Silly nickname, all I can think of when I see itis Michael Hesseltine and Norman Tebbit ;D

And that's coming from someone previously known as Windy  ;D ;D ;D
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

simonp

« Reply #52 on: 11 January, 2015, 01:25:45 pm »
Metabolically there is also a disproportionate impact from hard effort.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #53 on: 11 January, 2015, 01:26:05 pm »
Silly nickname, all I can think of when I see itis Michael Hesseltine and Norman Tebbit ;D

And that's coming from someone previously known as Windy  ;D ;D ;D

touche ;D

LMT

« Reply #54 on: 11 January, 2015, 01:37:25 pm »
Currently rolling heading west towards Lake Okeechobee. Quick route on RWGPS, which is a ride around this lake gives 285km with only 100m of climbing!

I wonder how he'll do in a few weeks with respect to his recovery.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #55 on: 11 January, 2015, 02:22:25 pm »
Not something any of us wish to contemplate, but I would have thought that Tarzan's strategy has more danger of some sort of injury than Steve's gentler approach.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 11 January, 2015, 02:26:28 pm »
But perhaps less danger of other sorts of injury?  Fewer hours on the bike...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #57 on: 11 January, 2015, 02:37:56 pm »
Tarzan's 50, isn't he? I would have thought that that kind of high-stress output for the length of time he is intending it is rather a lot a body that age to put up with.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #58 on: 11 January, 2015, 02:42:08 pm »
He's a RAAM veteran isn't he? Not then your average 50yo.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #59 on: 11 January, 2015, 02:42:56 pm »
But perhaps less danger of other sorts of injury?  Fewer hours on the bike...

Oh god.  Let's just not go there.  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #60 on: 11 January, 2015, 02:50:12 pm »
age is only a number. how you live your life and how you take care of your body matters so much more.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 11 January, 2015, 02:52:03 pm »
age is only a number. how you live your life and how you take care of your body matters so much more.

As does good old-fashioned luck.

« Reply #62 on: 11 January, 2015, 05:25:17 pm »
Tarzan is "only" riding 100 miles every 7th day which will bring his average down over the week.

It will be interesting to see how effective this tactic is - quite a different approach to Steve - I certainly wouldn't fancy a 100 mile recovery day, especially not "to allow me to race the next day" (presumably refering to the long races he plans to take part in during the year, presuming they commonly start on Saturdays?).

Tarzan's approach of faster for fewer hours in the saddle will require more energy than Steve's (in terms of work done in moving a bicycle over the same distance). How efficeint their respective physiologies are in converting this energy from food is another matter (and the current large temperature difference between UK and Florida will not be insignificant). Some simple calculations, taking into account terrain and wind, comparing their respective first days, tarzan needed about an extra 1/3 unit of energy per km to move him + bike.

Tarzan's plan on his website called for an average of 167 miles per day during January, and this was for a total about 4000 miles less that Steve's initial plan. I'm guessing he might now be registering a bit more than that given how well Steve has started! The next few days will be enlightening...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #63 on: 11 January, 2015, 05:57:57 pm »
His average speed today looks somewhat lower than yesterday. 93+ Tracker miles in just under 6 hours, so add perhaps 10%.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #64 on: 11 January, 2015, 07:47:02 pm »
His average speed today looks somewhat lower than yesterday. 93+ Tracker miles in just under 6 hours, so add perhaps 10%.
He's slower than Steve today. (could be wind tactics,  of course)

Also:
- They've fixed his total distance - yay. (but future fossil-fuel based transport may re-break it ... )

- Looking at the map,  he and Steve could both ride thru "Buckingham" one day.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #65 on: 11 January, 2015, 08:03:46 pm »

Also:
- They've fixed his total distance - yay. (but future fossil-fuel based transport may re-break it ... )

- Looking at the map,  he and Steve could both ride thru "Buckingham" one day.

What? Break rule 14?
'If the bike/rider must be transported, the tracking devices must be turned off during transport.'

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #66 on: 11 January, 2015, 08:07:53 pm »
Ian,
read the comments on Tarzan's tracker page. (don't blame the messenger!)

( I'm not saying it won't happen,  but a DQ for accidentally leaving the thing on seems a tad harsh. Just MHO )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #67 on: 11 January, 2015, 08:10:38 pm »

From what I can see he has had a tailwind so far today.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #68 on: 11 January, 2015, 08:30:22 pm »
Ian,
read the comments on Tarzan's tracker page. (don't blame the messenger!)

( I'm not saying it won't happen,  but a DQ for accidentally leaving the thing on seems a tad harsh. Just MHO )

Agreed, it would be harsh. I didn't start looking at the UMCA and American pages until today following the discussion about alcohol on 'Jan 10th'. There are some very odd rules ???

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #69 on: 11 January, 2015, 08:37:51 pm »
The UMCA developed from officiating RAAM and everything should be seen in that context. Look at the rules from that veiwpoint and most of them seem reasonable.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #70 on: 11 January, 2015, 08:47:00 pm »
It's the likes of being able to change from bike to recumbent and having a year start anywhere in the calendar that I find odd.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 11 January, 2015, 08:51:40 pm »
It's the likes of being able to change from bike to recumbent and having a year start anywhere in the calendar that I find odd.

A bike's a bike, and 365 days is 365 days.  *shrug*

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #72 on: 11 January, 2015, 09:02:57 pm »
S'pose, but still think it's shifting the goalposts when the UMCA refer to the Tommy Godwin record as the standard to be beaten.

Edit:
- Godwin's (and all previous) records were called the year record and relate to miles completed in a calendar year.
- Godwin's (and all previous(?) records were done on conventional bikes so switching between recumbent and conventional bike is  a different record (re: Andy Wilkinson recumbent cf Gethin Butler conventional End to End)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #73 on: 11 January, 2015, 09:25:41 pm »
I think Tarzans undoing will be that he is planning to enter competitive events during his years plan. He surely will (as a competitive male)  push himself at these events and that will need more recovery than he has planned.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #74 on: 11 January, 2015, 09:29:21 pm »
Steve is aiming at doing the 24hr TT and possibly other races. I expect that he'll have access to a tent and camp bed to sleep in.