Author Topic: Metabike recumbent  (Read 3507 times)

waxer

Metabike recumbent
« on: 02 August, 2009, 08:48:34 pm »
i have just been over to france and saw a spanish METABIKE recumbent that the owner rides around the area of mont ventoux, i was really interested in in this bent and was wondering if anyone in the UK has one and how they find it to ride. my present bent is a bacchetta corsa which i use for audaxing and was wondering if the metabike would make a good audax machine.

cheers
waxer

Re: METABIKE RECUMBENT
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2009, 09:03:52 pm »
i have just been over to france and saw a spanish METABIKE recumbent that the owner rides around the area of mont ventoux, i was really interested in in this bent and was wondering if anyone in the UK has one and how they find it to ride. my present bent is a bacchetta corsa which i use for audaxing and was wondering if the metabike would make a good audax machine.

I've had no experience with a Metabike, but just looking at the web site I'd say it would be fine for audax riding. Most definitely not a heavy touring bike.

How much more performance you'd be getting over the Corsa though is hard to speculate. And the dealership in the UK looks non-existent according to their web-site. Next time you're in France you'll have to try one :-)
Garry Broad

Re: Metabike recumbent
« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2009, 09:42:07 am »
I rode one briefly at the Spezi this year... I can't say I liked it - the handling felt very odd; twitchy, very sensitive to handlebar input , etc. A number of people I spoke to made similar comments.

However, 'bents are a very personal thing, and often take a bit of getting used to, so it's well worth a test ride. It certainly felt comfortable enough for long days.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Tiger

« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2009, 12:06:44 pm »
Just looking at it - the front end looks like it will need a lot of attention.

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2009, 05:13:26 pm »
I don't like the look of the geometry, personally.  It might be fine, but it just doesn't look anything similar to the widely recognised and good handling recumbents, so I wouldn't touch it.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2009, 09:14:39 pm »
The converts will be familiar with this, but....

The main limiting safety feature of a recumbent design is the ability to put both feet on the floor when stopped. THis is why so many designs have a 20 " front wheel to allow this.

With larger wheels there is a larger seat height, partially compensated for with frame bending, but (as always) these need to be ridden before buying!

« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2009, 11:06:46 pm »
I can't see any justification for the phrase "climbing is just as fast as a conventional road bike" - even with my light, stiff Speed Ross I'm always a bit slower on long drags, ie I get overtaken by people who weren't keeping up with me on other terrain.  Of course, this is still faster than a lot of riders who don't catch me up, but don't be duped by an expression which is basically meaningless.

But if you try it and you like it go for it, and hope to meet you on an audax some day.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2009, 12:15:10 pm »
The converts will be familiar with this, but....

The main limiting safety feature of a recumbent design is the ability to put both feet on the floor when stopped.

Hands work equally well if one's seat is low enough and/or one is a semi-evolved simian :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime