Author Topic: Using cycle trailer ...  (Read 2078 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Using cycle trailer ...
« on: 06 June, 2008, 01:18:20 pm »
I have contact with my children tomorrow. At short notice I've been told it's in Warrington, not Telford.

Am I a bit mad to consider cycling on my MTB with trailer from Warrington to Manchester and then using the trailer in Warrington with the boys for the day? It means I can take them to a soft play place where we can play and have lunch, to the park in the afternoon (hoping youngest will nap in it whilst cycling, he does in his car seat) and then to a reasonable pub for evening meal.

So I'm guessing I will be cycling 50 miles with the railer on my own and another 12 on top with the boys.

Is this better than using public transport? (That's 4 buses and two trains just to get there and probably another 2/4 buses on top with the boys?)

Thanks

vince

Re: Using cycle trailer ...
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2008, 01:20:16 pm »
I guess it depends whether the lads will enjoy it or not?

« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2008, 06:11:17 pm »
I'd get the bike; or the car maybe!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2008, 01:59:55 pm »
I did use the trailer in the end. Allowed myself 2 and half hours to cycle the 22 miles to Warrington and I had an hour to spare in the end! Not much longer coming back either. Which I thought was quite impressive using a mountain bike with full on knobbly tyres to tow the trailer!

The boys were fine using it. The oldest got into the routine of climbing in the trailer and doing all the buckles up, helping to detatch the trailer from the bike and lock everything up when we stopped and then also helping with the reverse procedure when we set off again.

We visited a few places without any problem at all.  The boys happily slept in it for about an hour in the afternoon. I was worried about their comfort and all I can say is next time I would probably take some bolster type cushions and on a warm day put them in shorts instead of trousers.

We cycled passed a rowing club where there were young girls getting ready to row on the river Mersey. About six of them were retreiving the canoes from a rack when we got a collective 'awww' from each of them. I think I blushed. It was quite bewildering.

« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2008, 09:42:02 am »
Cool. :D That sounds like a great outing. An hour and a half to do 22 miles on knoblies with a trailer is pretty impresive. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2008, 06:23:16 pm »
Good man.
Stropping rocks