Author Topic: Free Kitten to good home.  (Read 48696 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Free Kitten to good home.
« Reply #175 on: 28 October, 2011, 07:27:56 pm »
And less annoyed :)

« Reply #176 on: 28 October, 2011, 07:29:53 pm »
Do cats ever not look annoyed? ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #177 on: 29 October, 2011, 12:20:42 am »
TimO, That's amazing!

You can see the early photo where Kai's cheekbones are sticking out, his nose looks dirty and wet/runny and in the new photo his face has filled out, he's cleaner and healthier looking nosewise.

Awesome!  He's a beautiful cat isn't he, very striking!

« Reply #178 on: 29 October, 2011, 04:03:58 pm »
Compared to the early shots that loafheads posted in the first thread, he's also a lot less skinny looking.

A lot of it is simply that he's been well fed, so he's filled out a lot (I suspect he's become a little overweight, so I'm being less generous with the food now).  He's obviously looking after his fur a lot better as well.

The earlier face shot does look a little gaunt, although the two shots are taken with different cameras, and lighting, so you have to allow for that a bit as well (although I tried to equalise the contrast and brightness a bit).

I'm still very curious to know what breed he is, or is a mix of.  The three ones which he looks like the Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest Cat and Siberian are all similar looking to my unpractised eye (not surprisingly, because they are all Forest Cats!).  The Maine Coon is a much larger cat, so he's clearly not a pure bred Maine Coon, but he could be a cross.  Size and colourwise, he could be either of the other two, but the web pages I've looked at aren't really adequate for me to make any distinction.  Whatever he is, that heritage should means he's fine if we have any snow!

Solace Farm: Differences among the Siberian Cat, Norwegian Forest Cat and Main Coon

Chat Siberiens: Comparative between Siberian, Norwegian forest cat and Maine coon

« Reply #179 on: 11 November, 2011, 05:54:37 pm »
... and he's lost another collar, which probably still keeps the average time above Talisker, and at just under a month doesn't challenge Talisker's minimum time of slightly less than a week (but I'm sure he's willing to see if he can beat it!)

« Reply #180 on: 13 January, 2012, 11:24:18 pm »
When I get in, both cats are around, and very friendly, because they're looking forward to their supper!

Today, it was a case of "Hang on you two, I need to go to the loo", and as is his want, Kai hammered up the stairs in front of me, straight into the bathroom, and did an incredibly well controlled four paw skid on the bathroom tiles, stopping having spun around, facing me, in a very "Well, what are you dawdling for?" fashion!

It was very impressive.

If Zev did the same thing, she'd probably plough into the bath and sit there looking dazed.  She's not really worked out the fine details of running around (and more importantly, stopping) yet!

« Reply #181 on: 23 January, 2012, 12:06:47 pm »
I found Kai sleeping in the heated cat bed this morning. :thumbsup:

When I first had him, and he was constrained to the bathroom, the bed was in there, but unplugged (no plugs in the bathroom!) and he used it, and obviously found it very comfortable.

Since he's been out of there, and more recently Zev has also been out of her bedroom, I've never seen either of them in it, although it's been turned on, and warm.  There was some evidence that it had been used though, it gained a sort of "sleeping cat shape", and had some additional cat fur in it.

This morning was the first time I found Kai actually using it, although the moment I started wandering around, so did he!  He's asleep on the floor about two foot behind me at the moment.  They both seem to like to be around wherever I am, so I guess he (or she) only really uses the bed when I'm not in the house.

« Reply #182 on: 12 February, 2012, 08:13:00 am »
Unusually, Kai isn't eating this morning.  He wasn't in the house when I got up, but opening the kitchen window and clanking the bowls together brought him in almost immediately, so he wasn't far away.

I put there food down, and he ignored it, wandering off, which is unheard of.  I've put his food aside (so Zev can't eat it).  If he doesn't want it, I'll give it to Zev as second breakfast before I leave.

At the moment, he's curled up in the cat bed, and miraculously Zev is leaving him alone.

I'm guessing he's just feeling a little ill. I did accidentally step on a paw yesterday, but I checked that at the time, and there was no evidence of pain when I handled each paw.

He doesn't like being picked up and handled, but he's never been an enthusiast of that anyway, just tolerant.

I was planning on going out today, so I'm still going to do that. I don't think there's anything I can do to help him at this point.

If he's still the same tomorrow morning, I'll take him to the vets.

« Reply #183 on: 12 February, 2012, 11:10:12 am »
Could be just a furball? That sometimes makes 'em go off their food for 24 hours.  :-\
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #184 on: 12 February, 2012, 04:47:49 pm »
Well, having come back from the Dickens ride, he's a bit more active, both him and Zev greeted me, and he seemed moderately enthusiastic about some food.  I gave both him and Zev their normal portions and he relatively slowly ate about half of a can of cat food (he'd normally inhale an entire can).  Once he clearly wasn't going to eat any more, I left Zev dispose of the remainder (I had to pick her up to stop her pushing him away, and tucking in!)

I think he's still a bit off, but feeling a bit better, purely based on him being a bit more active and actually eating something.

I'll just have to see what he's like tomorrow morning.  If he's eating something then that'll be OK, but if he refuses to touch food again, I'll have to make a decision based on his demeanour, whether to take a trip to the vets.

« Reply #185 on: 12 February, 2012, 10:23:00 pm »
Actually he's gotten progressively better as the evening continued.  He asked me for food (well much meowing at me in the kitchen), and fairly rapidly scoffed an entire can of cat food.  He (with help from Zev) also scoffed a couple of Sainsbury's cheap copies of a Weebox chew.

I don't know what the problem was, cat 24 houri lurgy, or a dodgy rodent, but it seems to have mostly passed now, and he's back to his normal irascible style. He even tried to whack Zev as she passed the cat bed (it's at the top of the stairs), which he wasn't even vaguely inclined to do earlier.

« Reply #186 on: 13 February, 2012, 08:39:45 am »
Hmm, still not totally back to normal.  He and Zev have been wandering around as normal (ie following me down to the kitchen, mildly fighting etc) and were both their normal <Audrey> "Feed Me" </Audrey> selves.

However, Kai didn't finish his breakfast, that admittedly was a chikeny flavour, which seems to be his least favourite.  That doesn't normally stop him from eating the lot however (I didn't pick that flavour it was just the first one to come to hand from the stockpile).

Ho hum.  At least he is eating, so I'll just attribute the lack of enthusiasm to a still mild upset stomach, for whatever reason.  Otherwise he seems healthy and broadly active (as much as a domestic cat is active this time of year!)

« Reply #187 on: 13 February, 2012, 10:21:18 pm »
On returning home this evening, I've had to clear up at least ten lots of cat vomit, most of it definitely from today, although some may have been from last night (in the spare bedroom that I don't generally go into).

He's almost certainly thrown up everything he ate this morning, and probably some of the dry cat food I left out (although at a guess Zev has eaten some of that too).  Since he's probably been outside, he may well have thrown up out there as well.  At least some of it suggests he was trying to go out, because there's a trail all the way to the cat flap!

Luckily, like most cat vomit, it was relatively dry, so hasn't really caused any damage, not that my carpets haven't seen cat vomit before, and luckily they aren't exactly expensive.

He doesn't seem to be exhibiting any signs of being terribly ill, and is moderately active, although clearly not his normal exuberant self.  He's mostly just retiring to the heated cat bed and sleeping.  He had a slight appetite, but mostly he just ate the jelly bits from the cat food I tried on him, and left most of the bits of fish.

Vomiting once or twice could be a hairball, or something similar, and if he had a full appetite, I'd not worry, but basically he'll probably have had no food stay inside him for 48 hours by tomorrow morning, which is quite a while for a cat, and possibly he could be getting dehydrated (it was hard for me to tell with Talisker, but Kai is covered in too much fur to reliably grab a fold of skin).  If he was looking less happy, I think I'd ring up the emergency vets, but his manner seems more or less OK, so I don't think it's desperately urgent yet.

So, I think the cat flap is going to be closed tonight, so he can't wander off and hide anywhere, and he's off to the vets first thing tomorrow morning.  I'll ring them up when they open, and take him straight in.

« Reply #188 on: 13 February, 2012, 10:24:23 pm »
Oh dear. Vet sounds sensible.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #189 on: 13 February, 2012, 10:24:32 pm »
Ugh re vomit.  I hope the vets have some idea of what's up tomorrow.  Poor Kai.

« Reply #190 on: 13 February, 2012, 10:50:12 pm »
I've just been checking on the route to the emergency vet, in case I need to do something tonight.  It's 6.8 miles away in Caterham, and almost entirely uphill.  About 450 feet of up, so it averages out to about 1 in 80 for about half an hour, towing a cat on a trailer.  I really hope I don't need to do that tonight!

(It's almost certainly not going to be necessary, Kai isn't exhibiting any signs of distress, although I suspect he's feeling a bit green around the gills).

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #191 on: 13 February, 2012, 10:53:10 pm »
I've just been checking on the route to the emergency vet, in case I need to do something tonight.  It's 6.8 miles away in Caterham, and almost entirely uphill.  About 450 feet of up, so it averages out to about 1 in 80 for about half an hour, towing a cat on a trailer.  I really hope I don't need to do that tonight!

(It's almost certainly not going to be necessary, Kai isn't exhibiting any signs of distress, although I suspect he's feeling a bit green around the gills).

I hope Kai is better soon.  Perhaps, if a trip is necessary, it might be easier to get a taxi, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

« Reply #192 on: 13 February, 2012, 11:25:14 pm »
If it was the middle of the night, it might be easier to cycle than try and find a taxi!  Seven miles towing the trailer doesn't really faze me, and I could be out of the house in five minutes.  If I had to find a taxi company that was answering the phone in the early hours of Tuesday morning, and then wait for a taxi to get here, it may well still be faster to cycle! (I have adequately stupid bike lights for cycling on dark roads, and have a lot of experience at night riding).  Sorting out the route is just extreme paranoia on my part!

This would however be highly unlikely, because I'll almost certainly sleep through until the morning, and in all likelihood so will both the cats.

Kai doesn't look that bad.  He's possibly holding his head a bit low sometimes, which cats do seem to do when they're feeling a bit ill, but on the flip side, he is washing himself, which is a good sign, since they'll also stop doing that if they are feeling really ill.

In fact, he's just wandered downstairs to see what I'm doing, which is a good sign that he doesn't just want to slump down in his bed.  He is possibly going to be annoyed when he realises that I've blocked the cat flap though!

« Reply #193 on: 14 February, 2012, 10:19:02 am »
Well that's a relief, the vet thought it was probably just hair balls.  It's probably exacerbated by his hair getting much longer than it was, and fleas.  He's also heavy enough now (about 4.6kg) that he needs the larger size of flea treatment, so that may also explain why he was suffering from them.  I had missed the most recent flea treatment, but only by a couple of weeks.

He gave Kai a couple of injections to help settle his stomach, and some Katalax cat laxative.  I put the Katalax in with a small portion of food, just in case he didn't eat everything, but he scoffed it all down.  I've fed him a bit more, probably almost as much as he would normally have for his two breakfasts, and it all went fast. :thumbsup:

Whilst they were scoffing food (Zev was just having her normal second breakfast) I also administered their flea treatments.

So, hopefully Kathy was correct, it was just hairballs, although not having had a cat quite as furry as him before, I didn't realise it could be such a problem.  Talisker occasionally coughed up a fur ball in the house, but generally it was just one fairly dry bit of vomit.

I should probably also start brushing him, to help remove the fur, before he does.  Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on cat brushes?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #194 on: 14 February, 2012, 02:25:53 pm »
I should probably also start brushing him, to help remove the fur, before he does.  Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on cat brushes?

It's mostly about what the cat will tolerate, of course.  My uncle accidentally adopted an enormous semi-feral ginger tom (who decided that the stack of racing car tyres covered in an old blanket in his garage would make a good winter snoozing spot, and never left).  He was incredibly wary of humans, but for some reason would allow my uncle to brush him - with a wire brush!  He enjoyed this immensely, and would roll around purring like a tiger.  Unfortunately, he didn't really understand about retracting his claws, so this was best done while wearing welding gauntlets.

Beyond that, we used to have a knobbly silicone rubber thing that was much more effective at collecting loose hair than a traditional brush.  It was a square-section tube reminiscent of a giant sticklebrick, stretched over a rigid plastic inner to give it structure.  Eventually it got trodden on, shattering the inner plastic.  This made it much less easy to use as a brush, but meant the cat could carry it around in her teeth and drop it at your feet as a subtle hint.

« Reply #195 on: 14 February, 2012, 02:36:47 pm »
Ethel-the-Gummy can vomit up large furballs (adorned with partially-digested kibble) every 36 hours in moulting season, and she's only got short hair! Luckily she loves being groomed and petted, so when she's going through a bad patch I try and brush her every evening while she sits on my lap. The amount of fur this removes has got to help! I use one of those little wire "slicker" brushes (available from all good pet shops). I've tried both cats with a rubber "Zoom Groom" but Ethel is uncertain about it, and Emmie hates it.

When Ethel has a furball brewing she becomes reekingly flatulent. At this point we feed her vast amounts of furball paste. Otherwise she gets given the paste daily until the vomiting is no longer prevalent.

« Reply #196 on: 14 February, 2012, 03:18:13 pm »
The Katalax seems to be fairly easily available, so it may be worth me introducing that into his diet on a semi-regular basis.  In the past I've also noticed that Iams have a "Hairball Control" variant, and I wonder if one meal a day of that would work similarly (and varying his diet with some dry food, could possibly be a good idea anyway).

I've seen rubbery cat hair gloves, and various types of brush (some based on rubbery knobbly structures), so maybe I'm just going to have to experiment and see what he'll tolerate and accept, and which helps to remove hair.

Since I've got him, his fur has just got so much, well, furrier than it was.  That's probably a mixture of better diet, as well as the weather getting colder, so he naturally becomes more furry.

« Reply #197 on: 14 February, 2012, 04:01:38 pm »
Hairball control food is very efficacious, but very high fat. We had to stop using it when both our mogs became obese.  :-[

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #198 on: 14 February, 2012, 04:18:48 pm »
Pippin & Mojo love their Zoom Groom. I aim to brush them most days but it probably ends up being every 2 in reality, they can vom up quite a lot of hairballs....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #199 on: 14 February, 2012, 05:28:51 pm »
Pleased to hear that puss is feeling better.